Sign in with
Your question

Possible PSU Issues

Last response: in Components
September 7, 2009 7:48:01 PM

I'd like to know for sure if this is a PSU problem and not any other form of problem. I've had the Sapphire Radeon HD3850 AGP card for about a month now and its ran smoothly on XP for about a week or 2 but recently I've been getting lock-ups, VPU recovery, BSODs, random crashes, and multiple errors.
The first thing that popped into mind was drivers as the card is known for driver issues, So I tried many different drivers including Omega drivers and the problems still occur. I only know that my psu is a 500 Watt Coolmax with 2 +12 rails that add up to 34amps which should be plenty but, I've had it for a while now so I'd like to know if its the culprit for these suddenly random issues.

More about : psu issues

September 7, 2009 9:33:57 PM

It will take a lot more trouble shooting to determine if it's the psu. Does your mobo have onboard video that you can try? Do you know anybody with another AGP computer that you can try the video card in? It could be so many things like memory, or a virus.
September 7, 2009 11:30:10 PM

Well its not a virus ive done many freash installs, its not the video card it runs fine in another comp and no i've got an asus P4S800 mobo so no onboard video.
Related resources
September 7, 2009 11:33:47 PM

If you tried the video card in another pc and it worked fine..

borrow the power supply from that computer and see if yours works?
September 7, 2009 11:39:56 PM

I have tried that but my rig is more of a power muncher then the other one as the rig i tried it in had 1DVD-RW 1HDD and 1 fan mines got 4 fans,2 HDDs,2 DVD-RWs the psu that i tried had only 29amps on the +12v rails so that wouldve been a no-go in my case
September 7, 2009 11:49:05 PM

do you need to have all that connected to test the computer?

just disconnect the dvd extra hard drive(if possible) fans ( can aim a box fan at open side of case while just running the cpu cooler)
September 8, 2009 12:56:02 PM

firedrake125 said:
I have tried that but my rig is more of a power muncher then the other one as the rig i tried it in had 1DVD-RW 1HDD and 1 fan mines got 4 fans,2 HDDs,2 DVD-RWs the psu that i tried had only 29amps on the +12v rails so that wouldve been a no-go in my case

The Crapmax 500 is labeled for 34 amps, labeled wattage shows just under 32 total, if it were capable of that I'd really be surprised.
If you tried a known good 29 amp psu ( what is it ? ) and it didn't power up the system, your 32 amp Crapmax was never really enough.
September 9, 2009 12:14:21 AM

I'd like to add also that under a prime95 torture test my OCed prescott reaches 57 degrees Celsius and my +12v reads at 11-11.07v but all other voltages are where they should be.
September 9, 2009 11:17:14 AM

firedrake125 said:
Ok one last question is this PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... any good at all? If not could you point me too a descent one in that price range with descent amps for the power munchie video card.

Not really, but it should do for your system.
Pretty much impossible
September 9, 2009 11:20:03 AM

firedrake125 said:
I'd like to add also that under a prime95 torture test my OCed prescott reaches 57 degrees Celsius and my +12v reads at 11-11.07v but all other voltages are where they should be.

Doesn't sound bad for an oc'ed P4
Unless you've checked the voltage with a DMM, I wouldn't worry about software readings.
If you have checked with a DMM, get a new psu.
September 9, 2009 8:45:26 PM

Well when i check it with a multimeter they read at around 12v idle and 11.8 under load but i can use an old psu laying around my house and all volts read fine on the sensor. But thanks for trying to help anyways Dell, still hunting for a good psu within around $35 maybe even $40 or less. If you know anything in that area then let me know

Edit: I've found this psu: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... (I know its a Coolmax) but it looks fairly descent and has tri +12v rails so would that be enough to run my power munching pc?
September 10, 2009 8:00:06 PM

Ok i'll hopefully get the OCZ psu soon depends on when i can get some more money ill try to remember to reply once its here and tested.
!