Nvidia GTS 250 1GB Driver & Performance Issues

Sokoprok

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Hi all,

I have recently purchased the aforementioned graphics card as an upgrade from a Radeon 2600XT 512MB.

Unfortunately, since installation, there doesn't seem to be the impact that I expected.

Two main problems seem to be involved;

1. Drivers - I have downloaded and installed the lastest 186.18 drivers from the Nvidia site. However, when I use the scan tool located here - http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Scan.aspx?lang=en-us it says that my 'Current installed driver' is 03.04. I have tried re-installing the drivers again and have ensured any trace of the old drivers are gone but to no avail.

2. Performance - I am receiving extremely varied performance since installation which may or may not be related to the driver issue. For example, I have today purchased Prototype on the PC, with settings on Medium and AA at X4 the game initially runs very smoothly. I then reaches a point around 10 seconds to one minute in at which point the frame rate drops massively and things get very laggy (estimating around 3-6fps). I also recently installed 'Mount & Blade' which seems to run smoothly for between 10-30 minutes and then becomes very laggy where previously it was smoother than anything. This is the same for most games aside from Sims 3 which is very laggy as soon as the screen is moved from the off. The above is reminisent of overheating although temps when games become laggy are never more than 55 Celsius.

I have tried setting the card to default, OCing it a little and enabling Hyperdrive but the problems occur in the same way regardless.

To the best of my knowledge, the rest of the PC is as such;

Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit
2 Pentium D CPU's at 3.4Ghz each
4.00GB DDR2 RAM
150GB SATA HD
2X DVD Writers
Not sure on the case but it has a fan that sucks cold air in the front and another that expels hot air out the back
Not sure on motherboard

I've had a look round on the net and can't seem to find anyone with similar issues and would appreciate any help or suggestions anyone can offer.

Cheers...

wedge71

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
I'll go out on a limb here and say its your processor that is holding you back. However the 250 gts is basically a 8800 gt and most people know they don't perform very well now days. The 260 gtx is a much better choice if your power supply can handle it.

That driver version report is the first problem to fix. Using control panel, uninstall *anything* ATI related, including ccc. Then reboot, and reinstall the nVidia drivers. If that doesn't solve the driver version 3.04 problem, uninstall all nVidia stuff, reboot and run the driver install again.

If that doesn't fix the speed problem, then please let us know your screen resolution, your motherboard make/model (or PC brand name and model), and how full your HD is.

wat?

The GTS250 is a slightly upgraded version of the 9800GTX+, which is an upgraded version of the 9800GTX, which is a better version of the 8800GTS, which in turn is just a better card than the 8800GT/9800GT.

GTS250 destroys the 8800GT

When I read about the second game HEAT came to mind as you got to play for a while before things started happening.

The first game, Prototype, ... i looked it up and watched a u-tube video. A lot of particles flying around and sometimes a lot of distance to render in for a medium grade video card.

One of the posters said to try and remove the old drivers again. Good idea to start with. I would also un-install the nvidia drivers and re-install them.

Look in the nvidia control panel. Make sure everything you find says to "let the application decide" and turn off vsync.

Look for the physics setting and turn it off. Then I would check all my settings while i have the game loaded in the games control panel. Turn things back until you get good playability and increase things a little at a time..... also turn off vsync in games control panel.

Do a malware scan. this will hurt also. Try Spyware Terminator...... google it. and to clean up your system.... ccleaner.......... spelled that way.

First of all you probably didn't properly remove the ATI drivers. The older ATI drivers are especially troublesome. While it's always best to start off with a clean install of Windows to make sure the problem isn't driver related, or a dirty Windows installation, but if you can't, or just don't want to, do that then you should download driver cleaner pro, uninstall all your display drivers, boot into safe mode, and run drive cleaner pro to make sure that all drivers are properly removed. Once you have done that, then you install the new nVidia drivers.

Also your CPU is pretty slow and will hold back your GTS250 a majority of the time.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
If the game runs smoother with no AA turned on, then you know your system is fine and you'll also know its limits as far as framerates go. I don't think there's anything wrong with your card. If it was a driver issue, all your games would crash or not work right.

Find out your motherboard's brand and model, post it here, and we can check for you how much of a CPU upgrade it can handle.

Sokoprok

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
I should probably have mentioned previously another thing. Once the slowdown in framerate begins to happen, if I goto options and turn off AA, the game then seems to run even slower which just confuses matters.

I have heard that a change in hardware could help with a fresh install of windows and I was thinking of doing a wipe soon anyway.

After my post last night, I did get around 5 minutes of perfectly smooth and gorgeous performance from Prototype before the slowdown occurred so I'm fairly sure there isn't a problem with the CPU slowing things down. Basically, the games run slower than when I had my Radeon 2600XT in when the fps drop begins. I'll search through C drive for anything ATi related and get rid. I have 19GB free I think on the drive at the minute.

Not sure of the motherboard make and model at the minute but I'll check when I get in. The PC was custom made and bought off eBay about a year and a half ago.

Also, is Driver cleaner pro free?

Couldn't get a GTX 260 as PSU isn't powerful enough.

Does this mean that we can expect you to always come up with a perfect software solution then?, I for one shall be looking out for your genius problem solving posts.

Lazy, yes. Inexperience, NO. If you have experience working on computers, then you know that it's common for people to have their installation corrupted by improper installing, and uninstalling drivers as well as the removal of malware that tries to embed itself in the system. Doing a clean install assures you that the underlying problem isn't your windows installation.

When I first started working on computers and swapping out parts I use to always try and fix the windows installation, but considering all the time it takes to identify the problems, manually edit the registry and config files, remove old driver files that windows likes to keep using because it's convenient and thinks they are newer than the ones you want to put in there, and replace any damaged files it's just not worth it.

It's faster to format, re-install the OS, and install all the programs. You may be thinking it doesn't take that long to fix a windows installation, but it really does take a long time to do it right. I'm sure you'll realize that when you're not so wet behind the ears :D.

How hot is the CPU getting? Use Speedfan to find out. Those old Pentium Ds' could run hot, even when new, perhaps it's just overheating and 'throttling', which would certainly slow the system to a crawl.
Which powersupply do you have? The GTS250 draws twice the power of a 2600XT and, again the early Pentium Ds' were renowned for their high power draw, you could simply be overloading the unit which will take time to heat up and fail, just because it's quite a large heat mass.

Kind of dumb to reformat and lose everything you have on your machine when a little bit of work could cure the problem. And if you have the experience you should have already tried some of these simple tasks. Nothing hard about removing drivers but you failed there.

Here's something I never think about much. Those driver numbers you mentioned above.... they sound like mother board drivers. Maybe you need to look into that. And how old is the bios since you sound like you want to work.

Sokoprok

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
CPU was idling at 60C and when playing Prototype went up and hung around the 93C mark until I left the game. This seems quite high to me and the little flame icon next to the CPU temp in Speedfan doesn't fill me with confirdence either.

The motherboard by the way is an ECS P4M900T-M2 with a 1066 FSB. Screen resolution is at 1280x1024 on desktop and in-game.

I have deleted everything with Ati on it already by all accounts as there is nothing left. I have tried a deletion and re-install of the latest Nvidia drivers but the result is the same.

I have turned of Physx in the Nvidia Control Panel as well as V-Sync which has increased framerate during the initial period of smooth gaming and has had a slight effect when the slowdown hits although still unbearable framerates when things get busy on-screen.

As this was a custom build and very cheap I doubt the PSU is the best in the world, it has a make of Casecom and is an ATX 500W model...
Thanks to everyone who is trying to help so far it is much appreciated.

Sokoprok

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009

I would say it's dumber still to assume that if I reformatted my computer I would lose everything...

I'd put it all onto DVD's, etc and back it up of course.

And, although I don't remember mentioning my experience of computers, of course I have already tried removing and re-installing drivers. I have also re-seated the card, ensured all connections are fine and that the motherboard isn't dusty or any of the fans clogged.

There is an element of onboard graphics although the only display mentioned in my Device List is my graphics card rather than anything onboard.

Also, if you'd like to help, please try to do so without being offensive or condesending. Cheers.

Sokoprok

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009

Don't say it like that!!! Lol.

What do I do to keep it cooler?

A huge bucket of ice?;)

First, run the computer with the side off and check the cooling fan is working, and that the cooler fins are not blocked.
If the fan is running the heatsink has probably worked loose, the push-pins are kinown to soften and even fail totally over time. Only soloution is to change the cooler.

Sokoprok

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009

Correct.

Does anyone know what sort of temp I'm actually supposed to be at with the CPU?

Sokoprok

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009

I have a spare heatsink and fan from a Pentium Dual Core E2160, any idea whether this will do and if I do need something a bit meatier, what's your suggestion?

Sokoprok

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009

Definately two, Device Manager says so, as does system information, them 'Can I run it' things that some games have on their sites (I think EA have them) say there's two so there better be two.

I doubt it'll handle the heat of a Pentium D but if it's a similar size it can't hurt.
But is the fan working on your current heatsink and does it feel fully attached?
Is the motherboard I linked to the one you actually have?
What is your favourite colour?
What is the maximum airspeed of an unladen swallow?
Where were you on the night of the 9th?

Edit, sorry, got carried away;)