Sign in with
Your question

Good case and cpu cooler?

Last response: in Components
September 7, 2009 8:07:31 PM

is this good?
cooler:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

do you have anything better for $125 ?

and most importantly, will that cpu cooler fit in that case?

More about : good case cpu cooler

a b ) Power supply
September 7, 2009 8:18:13 PM

Yes, not really, and yes.
m
l
September 7, 2009 8:22:47 PM

Very good . Buying Wednesday or tomorrow.
I have a newbie question: do the case fans require molex ? if so why is there a SYS FAN on the motherboard? do I connect anything there?
thnx
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
September 7, 2009 8:35:15 PM

The fans can connect either way.
m
l
September 7, 2009 10:16:51 PM

in my cooler master cm690 case, the fans came the sys fan connections, but i also had the molex power adapters.
m
l
September 7, 2009 10:42:57 PM

The fans on this case are molex which is good cuz my g41 board only has 1 sys fan lol. I won't be able to control the speed , but I don't care as long as they run high speed.
m
l
September 7, 2009 10:58:09 PM

i prefer my p180 with a ac freezer 64pro
m
l
September 7, 2009 11:15:38 PM

Well I did my research , and I found nobody using this combo. I will not get this cooler until I have some proof that people are using it without problems. Until then can someone recommend me a good cooler for $36 that will fit in CM Storm Scout?
MY specs:
q9550
9600 gt
4gb ram
ga-g41m-es2l micro-atx
m
l
September 8, 2009 12:24:18 AM

i have the scout and scythe =DD
It can get a bit cramped, but it all worked out well. The scythe mugen-2 is freaking huge and it still fit, BUT you cannot install another fan on the top side. But you can install another fan on the bottom side of the clear panel.
What i did was that i installed a 120mm on the bottom slot and i installed a 80mm on top of the 120mm and i just screwed in the screws through the clear things... i'm not sure how to explain it in words lol

And when and if you do get the scythe mugen-2 , you have to make sure you put the fan a certain way because this cooler does get in the way of the top exhaust fan if you don't place it properly.

I have a XFX 4870 and it fits well.
Cable management is iffy but i'm not too concerned about that because my temps are fine.
m
l
September 8, 2009 1:34:12 AM

jchan said:
i have the scout and scythe =DD
It can get a bit cramped, but it all worked out well. The scythe mugen-2 is freaking huge and it still fit, BUT you cannot install another fan on the top side. But you can install another fan on the bottom side of the clear panel.
What i did was that i installed a 120mm on the bottom slot and i installed a 80mm on top of the 120mm and i just screwed in the screws through the clear things... i'm not sure how to explain it in words lol

And when and if you do get the scythe mugen-2 , you have to make sure you put the fan a certain way because this cooler does get in the way of the top exhaust fan if you don't place it properly.

I have a XFX 4870 and it fits well.
Cable management is iffy but i'm not too concerned about that because my temps are fine.

good to know :D  . Did you buy it from newegg or something? newegg is giving a free fan with a purchase of Scythe Mugen 2 , if I'm correct ? Or does the actual cpu cooler not have any fans included?

Another question: does the side window close? I will not put any fans on the side window for now.

Also, will it put any stress on my ga-g41m-es2l micro atx board?
m
l
September 8, 2009 3:09:54 AM

I bought my scythe-mugen 2 from newegg yeah. The actual CPU cooler itself comes with a 120mm fan. I was also happy it came with a free fan but unfortunately... its just a 40mm fan... it's pretty tiny lol and i don't have any use of it, but maybe you will.

Yeah the window closes. Both panels are removable with thumb screws. The clear part of the panel you can't remove, if you're askin that lol.

What do you mean by stress? I know the CM scout fits M-ATX and ATX mobos ... but i'm not sure what you mean by stress. I have a EVGA X58 SLI LE motherboard and it's fine.
m
l
September 8, 2009 3:19:21 AM

I have the scout with the Dark Knight hsf. I doubt the one you're looking at is any bigger. Just realize that the fan mounts horizontally down towards the video card. Not a big deal, just thought you should know. Install the hsf first then install the mobo. It's a great case. I love mine.
m
l
September 8, 2009 11:04:14 AM

thanx guys . I have one more newbie question: will my antec ea650 handle this cooler?

I probably sound like a retard by asking that , but I want to make sure . :) 
m
l
September 9, 2009 1:35:52 AM

the cooler plugs into the motherboard lol so if your psu doesn't plug into the motherboard, no it can't handle the mugen-2 :p 

Oh and just a heads up ... today i discovered that the cpu fan pin that plugs into the motherboard got in the way of the top exhaust fan. I had to discover this the hard way -_-" I thought the fan was broken so i bought a 120mm from best buy cause i was lazy to order online and through a lot of hassle i discovered something was in the way of the fan... ugh. Now i have an unused 140mm because i don't feel like putting the fan back in. When you want to replace the top fan, you have to remove the scythe mugen-2 first because its so freaking big
m
l
September 9, 2009 12:57:45 PM

I have a micro atx board lol, and the ram is very close to the heatsink -_-. I'm not sure I will ever fit a cpu cooler besides the intel one . But I will try.

The Scythe Mugen seems to have problems, how's XIG HDT s1283?

I am going to get the Antec 900 , is it better than storm scout? and I was thinking of getting the XIG HDT s1283, it has free shipping and $10 MIR, or I could just get a Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7. Which is a better buy?

Thanks guys. :) 
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2009 2:17:18 PM

Those tall tower style cpu heatsinks can take up a lot of space. If you use memory modules that have their own tall heatspreaders, then the cpu heatsink and the heatspreaders will get in each other's way. If you do not use memory modules with tall heatspreaders, then you will be okay.

Here's a tip - Install the memory modules first, then install the cpu heatsink. A lot of times the tall tower style cpu heatsinks will be very close to the memory modules or will be a little bit over the memory modules but the heatsink and memory modules will not interfere with each other.

Both the Antec Nine Hundred and the Coolermaster Storm Scout are very good cases. Both have good ventialtion, air flow, and cooling. I would say it is a matter of personal preference. Buy the one you like.

Did you look at the FrostyTech web site? The site has technical reviews of cpu heatsinks that might help you make a decision.
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2009 3:33:58 PM

Those Patriot memory modules have the tall heatspreaders that look like a comb. They will interfere with the large tower style cpu heatsinks. That's why I do not bother with the tall memory heatspreaders. You have two options. You could purchase memory modules with normal heatspreaders or you could purchase memory modules with no heatspreaders.

Personally I do not bother with those tall memory modules. My cpu heatsink fan is so close to the memory modules the fan pulls air right over them. That is sufficent memory cooling for me.
m
l
September 9, 2009 4:51:20 PM

I bought them one year ago, and didn't know anything about computers. I'm not buying new memory though.
m
l
!