Running regsvr32.exe and system restore from dos

Tomgun3

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Hi,

Problematic hard drive had a bsod after trying to change system performance settings to increase hd space used as virtual memory.

Chkdsk ran upon reboot, caused - error "A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error Code: 0x80070002"when logging into any Windows XP profile, default administrator account included.

With original windows xp CD attempted to boot into dos to do a regsvr32 / appropriate dll's to correct this problem - however Windows XP CD dos mode only offers a limited number of dos commands to be ran.

Since I'm unable to login to any windows profile successfully without this error causing the computer to restart I am asking for any ideas to try to successfully boot back into the system.

I can ultimately plug this hd externally, copy all my files, reinstall and get things back running but before that I want to try to fix this problem and get logged back into windows if its feasible.

Is there a means to run additional dos commands that are not by default included with the windows xp cd?

Are certain dos commands like regsvr32.exe and rstrui.exe (system restore) only runnable after successfully logging into windows?

Thanks for any help.
Tom

Solution

Agree. I'll add some details... ;)

Good to hear that ! Well, I always like to do it by cmd, chkdsk /f or a chkdsk/r because cmd always gives more...

me 1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010

No. Have you heard of recovery console?

Recovery console it's often use when you can't get boot in safe mode or any other way.
And when U don't want to reinstall Windows, or do a Win repair.

Insert cd, press R key when it loads
Welcome to recovery console! (Actually the good old cmd !)
Select your Windows (usually 1 key if you don't have dual boot) and enter your password, if U don't have one just press enter.

System restore:

I do recommend something else that worked on different unbootable Wins I got my claws on:

cd C:\
cd windows
cd system32
cd config
ren system system.old
ren software software.old
ren sam sam.old
ren default default.old
cd windows
cd repair
copy c:\windows\repair\system C:\windows\system32\config
copy c:\windows\repair\software C:\windows\system32\config
copy c:\windows\repair\sam sam C:\windows\system32\config
copy c:\windows\repair\default default C:\windows\system32\config
And exit...And restart... did it worked?!

System restore is :
cd windows
cd system32
cd restore
And give a dir command to see your restore folders.
They should be listed as rp1, rp2,......bla,bla...

Tell me how it turned out! :hello:

rasikagayan

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
it's ok me1..
it's greater than windows installation....
i know that it's working but some time couldn't work...
they have to try...
but keep mind this thing... after that u have to check all program and settings.....
because after that work all are came to default in windows installation..
u have to repair some programs... and check the setting.....

may be u can get the sam, software, system, default, security, files from system volume information folder
u can get near date file... it's not to much repair programs....
try do like this.... it's like a system restore but it can restore system near date..... it's cool.... no wont to get risk......
try it.....

Tomgun3

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Hello Tom here,

Thanks for the replies Me1 and Ras.

I was fortunately able to get back into windows after performing a few chkdsk repairs from the windows recovery console, the automated chkdsk that runs while trying to boot normally into windows apparently doesn't fix the problems - perhaps just scans the drive?.

I am still curious, if replacing the config files you mentioned is a form of system restore?

Unable to locate rp1, rp2 files in the restore directory however once I was able to login to Safe mode I did see multiple restore points due to system checkpoints created when automatic windows updates install.

Are system checkpoints (restore points) saved differently than the rp1, rp2, etc files you talked about?

In the recovery console, is there a method to perform a system restore outside of logging into Windows?

me 1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010

Agree. I'll add some details... ;)

Good to hear that ! Well, I always like to do it by cmd, chkdsk /f or a chkdsk/r because cmd always gives more options on everything.

Sort of, but like rasikagayan said, it might mess your apps a little. I used this method on different unbootable pc's and yes, there are some programs that had to be reinstalled after this...(depanding on what date the repair folder contents where created and the date that your programs where installed)

Well, besides the system32\restore folder, System Restore points are indeed kept in System volume information folder.
But there's a little trick: apart from checking the Show All
Files And Folders in Tools menu>Folder options, U also have to uncheck the Show Protected Operating System Files from the same location, in order to actually see your System restore checkpoints. (U can view them directly in recovery console with cmd)
Now go to your C:\ and open the System volume information to see the RP folders, and check the dates, or open the text file to see date created. (if U wanna stick your nose in a little more go to C:\windows\system 32\restore and run srdiag.exe, a zip will be created exactly in the folder.Open it and view some more info.)

Anyways, it U still have trouble but can get now into Windows do a normal system restore. Also have U undone the space/virtual memory stuff yet?

On the other hand, on the cmd if you're curios or still have trouble or someone has this problem...
SYSTEM RESTORE VIA RECOVERY CONSOLE AND CMD:
(THIS IS SIMILAR TO WHAT I SAID EARLIER, BUT THIS WAY U CAN CHOOSE THE RESTORE POINT THAT U WANT BY DATE, so U won't have any troubles, just pick a date before your problem happened)
Ok then (press Enter after each command), type:
cd windows
cd system 32
cd config (now we have to make the backups)
ren system system.old
ren software software.old
ren sam sam.old
ren default default.old

cd c:\
cd system~1 (as in system volume information)
cd _restore{type the exact numbers in}
(too see the numbers U have to add give a cd system~1 dir command)
Check the dates by command, of the restore points, to choose one that's more closer to the problem.
Change to the RP folder you want (cd RP bla bla bla....)
cd snapshot
Give a dir command to see the _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE, _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM,_REGISTRY_MACHINE_DEFAULT, _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM and now we have to copy them like this:
Ex: copy _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM C:\windows\system32\config\

Exit . And start pc normal...

Ok , I'll stop now, or my fingers won't listen to me anymore! :lol:

Solution

Tomgun3

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Tom here,

Thanks again for the assistance.

I did a system restore from safe mode, it did allow me to boot into windows normally however the system itself
responded horribly, very slow loading time for any action - worse than what had previously prompted me to make the system performance setting change.

I then moved to a system repair using the Windows CD which reinstalled the OS however left my files and applications intact - created a new windows profile to start clean. It lagged at the start however as I got to using the new profile to setup the applications it's responded better.

I'm very impressed with the responsiveness of the forum and the expertise being shared, thanks so much for all the help.

Best Regards,

Tom