Unable to access Data traveler

Anjie23m

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
Hello,

I have a 2GB Kingston data traveler and I am unable to access it or even format it. I am working on windows xp and I really need to get this fixed. Can someone please help me.

Try to go into the properties of that drive and in security tab make sure the Write permission is set to Allow.
If that does not work, make sure the drive is seen in Administrative tools> computer manager> disk manager. If it is there, see what type of filesystem has. You can try to initialize it there, then format it as needed. If not, you could try to use a program like killdisk to "zero" the drive, then format it using your preferred format utility.
If the disk has some data that you want to save, first you could try to access the disk using a Linux distro PC, like Ubuntu. That has a graphical interface close to Windows and you could download and burn a bootable CD with it, thus rendering installation of the OS on HDD not necessary. Once the Ubuntu is loaded, you can acess the drive and see the files you want to save, before formatting the drive. Linux is not confined to FAT or NTFS, it can use even RAW disks.