What do we know about i5 yet?

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
What is known about intel i5? Is the best i5 going to be worse than the 920? why does it have a different socket? anything else?

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Core i5 is going to be a tad slower then Core i7 but will cost a lot less. You can get the base parts of a Core i5 750 and a Gigabyte P55 UD4 motherboard for about £250, where as a Core i7 920 and a X58 is going to cost £300+ not to mention the extra expense of worthless triple channel memory.

For me the deal breaker is how well these new Lynnfield's overclock, if they the new Core i7's (860 and 870) can reachthe 5Ghz barrier on air like has been reported then I'm sold if not I'll hold for Clarkdale.

jennyh

Splendid
No chance at all of them reaching 5ghz on air, no 45nm part will do that.

i5 is about as good as a Phenom II at stock, but overlocks better. You will pay for it though, especially in the UK.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Read it and weep...

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3634

It's been on sale in AUS and NZ for about 2 weeks now, and here's a link to a thread right here on Tom's...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/page-254052_29_50.html#t1817239

Price-wise, right now it is a tad higher than the AMD parts, but I'd wait a bit before I started bragging on AMD's prices. Looks to me like AMD better find a rabbit, and a hat.

You mean the part in the article where they hit 3.9 MHz with turbo disabled with the i5 750? or the part they hit 5.4GHz on ONE core with the 870? "For example, with our Core i7 870 with turbo disabled we hit 4.2GHz using a 200MHz BCLK. If we used the same BCLK but left turbo enabled, when only one core was active we'd hit 5.4GHz - clearly not realistic with only air cooling."

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
I think that I was referring to the overall set of tests. Sometimes the i5750 was ahead of the i7920. The i7850 was mostly ahead of the i7920. What was there... one test the Pii came out better than the i5 and the i7920? Price-wise, the 'rape rob and pillage' prices that we generally see are not that bad, very comparable to am3+ mb's and not that much higher than Pii CPU's. I'd look for some price shifts in the near future.

And did you see the wattage stats? Now, I am not saying that AMD should just roll over and die, but as I said previously they better find a rabbit... and a hat.

Personally, I have no dog in this race, so don't care. My next upgrades will be the 58xx series GPU's, and the i9 CPU. But I do like looking at the first benchies after all the hype.

ulysses35

Distinguished

Tri-Channel Memory worthless ??? hardly, gives your system more memory bandwidth. No escaping high costs though - and most gamers wont be able to justify the higher costs for i7

mi1ez

Splendid

Worthless in most real-world tests. Potentially GIMP/Photoshop but little else on a consumer system.

LOL, how true :).

Unfortunately some of the AMD fanbois would rather nobody did look at the actual benchies.

Right, jennyh?? :D

"Mediocre" my arse!!

Well I knew from the get-go that the i5 was going to surprise many as we saw a few peeps last week score over 18k (3dmark06) with a stock i7 750 and a GTX 285..... What I do not understand is Intel screwing the i7 920 owners with these new benchmarks.... not fair for someone who paid a premium for their CPU and later find out that a much cheaper CPU will outperform it by a mile.....

Who is going to want a 920 from now on???? lol.....

Unless you are using more than 2 GPU's I see no need for the 920......

No, not really. The i7-920 has been out for close to a year now, plus I wouldn't be surprised to see Intel up the Turbo clocks on it with the next stepping, certainly by the time the 32nm shrinks occur. Of course in the latter case it won't be called the 920 anymore :). Besides, the 1366 socket is alive and well, with Intel confirming the i9 Gulftown will just need a BIOS flash for an upgrade path.

As as for the "premium", the 920 has been on sale at Microcenter more often than not, at either $229 or $199, since January this year. So if you bought one at Newegg yeah you paid a premium :D.

Yea but still.... If you were about to buy a new system... Lets say your budget is 800-1000$... And lets say that you will not be using more than 2 GPU's.. Would you buy the 750 or 920? IDK about you but even if both CPU's are priced the same I would go with the 750 is a heart-beat... Overclocks better, temps are lower and basically you end-up with an all-around better CPU... Not to mention the 750 obliterates the 920 in 3dmark06.....

Ohh and last but not least, there is no C0 or D0 stepping crap to deal with this time..... [:jaydeejohn:5]