Revodrive X2 vs. 2x Vertex 2

Gutbop

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Hello,
I'm looking to buy an SSD and spend no more than $450. Would I be better off getting the Revodrive X2 100GB, or a couple of Vertex 2 60GB in RAID0? The Revodrive costs $430 right now, and 2 Vertex 2 60GB would run $240.

Obviously, the Vertex 2s are the cheaper option, but then you have to have a RAID controller... plus I want a lot of speed. How would 2 Vertex 2s in RAID0 compare to the Revodrive X2 speedwise?

Can I RAID0 3 drives?

What would be a good RAID controller to be able to run a setup with 2-3 Vertex 2 SSDs?

Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

What do you need do?

Revodriver: Killer performance in applications like Adobe and Autocad, nothing more.
2x60GB SSD RAID 0: Excellent performance BUT don't support TRIM, so, a lot of garbage in your SSD, that means less performance with time.

For $450 you can get a single SSD 256GB, with pretty similar performance that 2x60GB RAID 0 but twice space.

I knew PCI-e based solid state drives had potential. While doing research I discovered that PCI-e 3.0 is coming. The final details were worked out last Summer and final approval was given last November. PCI-e 3.0 promises to double the bandwidth of PCI-e 2.X. PCI-e based ssd's will blow the SATA based ssd's out of the water. There was some speculation whether PCI-e 3.0 might be available on Intel's new motherboards later this year. It will definitely be available next year. That also means new developments for video cards.

Gutbop

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

PCI-e based ssd's already blow SATA based ssd's out of the water (e.g. Revodrive X2). They won't be needing PCI-e 3.0 to get a whole lot faster though either. That's not the bottleneck. The Revodrive X2 doesn't even use a whole PCi-e x16 slot. It only needs an X4 slot, which allows for 2GB/s. Even if they do eventually need more bandwidth, all they have to do is switch it to the x16 slot, then they'll have 8GB/s to work with. PCI-e 3.0 is moreso breathing room for Graphics cards than for SSDs.

Not that any of this is particularly relevant to the OP... lol

Gutbop - I was not thinking about OCZ. Instead, I was thinking about PCI-e based ssd's designed for very high end, mainstream, professional work. It will be a few years before they are affordable for gamers, pc enthusiasts, and individuala who work at home.

tomate2

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
you want speed?? go for the revodrive... it completely blows off any raid configuration of ssds or such... but you have to ask yourself if you need that speed or if your not going to need more than 100 gb of ssd because its a lot more expensive... personally i would just go for a large ssd like saint19 said as it has similar performance as two 2 vertex 2s in raid 0 plus you wont need a raid controller and will still be able to support TRIM

TRENDING THREADS