Seagate sucks

why seagate = shitgate sucks so much? my 3rd harddisk in a year, never failed to fail me. lost a lot of dslr pics and impt files. no thanks seagate i hope you go bust! warning to all
5 answers Last reply
More about seagate sucks
  1. What model were you using so we have a better idea what to "avoid". I know the 7200.11 series was not a very good series with all of their firmware issues. The 7200.12 had seem to be much better though.

I stick to Western Digital and Samsung Spinpoint's for my builds.
  2. I had 4 bad samsungs out of 8 but that was back in the 250GB models.

have 17 seagate 7200.12's in service with no fail.

the 7200.11's were sometimes *** though.

as far as losing data?? ever hear of backup? 16GB flash drives are under 35$ now I'd have a backup.

final note.. dont get me started on bad ibm deathstar experiences. (before hitachi)
  3. If you do regular backups, you won't lose your data. Some people learn the hard way.

I've never had a WD fail on me since I began building pc's in 1997.

If your having so many HD failures, I'd suspect something wrong with the mobo or the power supply.
  4. I had the experience in the 80's, 90's and early 00's that all my WD drives died quickly, and all my Seagates were fine. Even Deathstars, I'd get a good 4-5 years out of them. But ever since Seagate bought Maxtor, they've been a debacle. The quality now is worse that either had before the merger, and the tech support is horrible - it's been a month and I'm still waiting for a replacement on one Seagate, and it's (now unmirrored) mirror is showing signs of clickdeath. These drives are 3 months old.

As a control sample I bought 8 Hitachi's for a Raid-6 fileserver 2 years ago and it has been running 24/7 with no drive issues. Also a 5-drive array of Western Digitals has only had 1 drive drop in 3 years.

My experience says: avoid Seagate right now. They are by far inferior on quality and support.
  5. I had 3 X 1.5Tb Seagates , had to chuck them all no owning 3X 1TB Western D Green and havent had one days issues, Backup 900GB daily been 14Months now still running smoothly
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Seagate DSLRs Storage