Seagate sucks

htrtgrg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
why seagate = shitgate sucks so much? my 3rd harddisk in a year, never failed to fail me. lost a lot of dslr pics and impt files. no thanks seagate i hope you go bust! warning to all

tecmo34

Administrator
What model were you using so we have a better idea what to "avoid". I know the 7200.11 series was not a very good series with all of their firmware issues. The 7200.12 had seem to be much better though.

I stick to Western Digital and Samsung Spinpoint's for my builds.

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
I had 4 bad samsungs out of 8 but that was back in the 250GB models.

have 17 seagate 7200.12's in service with no fail.

the 7200.11's were sometimes *** though.

as far as losing data?? ever hear of backup? 16GB flash drives are under 35$ now I'd have a backup.

final note.. dont get me started on bad ibm deathstar experiences. (before hitachi)

Ralonzo

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
I had the experience in the 80's, 90's and early 00's that all my WD drives died quickly, and all my Seagates were fine. Even Deathstars, I'd get a good 4-5 years out of them. But ever since Seagate bought Maxtor, they've been a debacle. The quality now is worse that either had before the merger, and the tech support is horrible - it's been a month and I'm still waiting for a replacement on one Seagate, and it's (now unmirrored) mirror is showing signs of clickdeath. These drives are 3 months old.

As a control sample I bought 8 Hitachi's for a Raid-6 fileserver 2 years ago and it has been running 24/7 with no drive issues. Also a 5-drive array of Western Digitals has only had 1 drive drop in 3 years.

My experience says: avoid Seagate right now. They are by far inferior on quality and support.

Zracko

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
I had 3 X 1.5Tb Seagates , had to chuck them all no owning 3X 1TB Western D Green and havent had one days issues, Backup 900GB daily been 14Months now still running smoothly

TRENDING THREADS