Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Ocz vertex2 60gb question

Last response: in Storage
February 9, 2011 1:58:52 PM

i am about to purchase an ocz vertex2 60gb and just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with this. i know it is fast, but how does it perform day to day compared with other ssds. thanks
February 9, 2011 2:47:32 PM

The Sandforce controlled SSDs are good, and the Vertex 2 is a solid choice.

If your motherboard has SATA III capability, I would look into a Marvell controlled RealSSD by Crucial.

Reason being, the Crucial RealSSDs are on the top when it comes to random 4k read and write times.

So, check them both out thoroughly.

I've read that if you are getting less than a 256gb drive, Sandforce is the way to go. 256gb or greater the realSSD is the way to go.

However, if I were getting a 60gb drive, I think I'd still go with the realSSD simply for the better 4k read and write times.
m
l
February 9, 2011 4:25:24 PM

cool i will be sure to check out the RealSSD. i saw that the 64gb one had a really high read speed but low write. does this matter much with and ssd? the read was 355 and write was 75 as opposed to the ocz which was about 285 read and write

thanks alot for the reply and help on this
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

February 9, 2011 5:43:17 PM

It's no problem, glad to help!

Well, it depends on what you want to use the drive for.

I assume the primary function of your drive is to be a boot drive given it's size. If that is true, read speeds are probably more important than write speeds.

Regardless, the read and write speeds that companies advertise are sustained read and write speeds that are only applicable in the real world when you are working with (reading or writing) BIG files. That is why the 4k read and write speeds are more important than the advertised speeds.

Can you post your system specs?

When it comes down to it, the differences between the Crucial RealSSD and the Vertex 2 are probably so negligible that either is a great choice. It becomes more of a preference of warranty and manufacturer and customer support in your situation. But, I seriously would consider the RealSSD simply because of the 4k speeds. That is the most important speed, and Crucial has set the industry standard in this area.

Personally, I just got a 128GB Crucial RealSSD to replace my OCZ Agility OS/Boot Drive. I will use the Agility now as my Steam drive.
February 9, 2011 6:08:53 PM

thanks for the quick reply!

i am basically using it as a boot drive as you stated and then just to load up apps that i use frequently ( Google Chrome, VLC, Photoshop CS5) i was wanting to use the SSD to save photos while i edit them then move them off. i am an amateur so they arnt HUGE photos or anything like that.

my computer specs are:

Sabertooth X58 motherboard
I7-950
sapphire radeon 4870 1gb
6 gb 1600 Corsair Triple Channel Ram
2 (2terabyte) western digital drives (for data redundancy)
650 watt OCZ power supply

case HAF 932

m
l
a b G Storage
February 9, 2011 6:58:28 PM

I have a Vertex 2 in my laptop and am very pleased with it. Since this is a single drive laptop, write speeds were important. As a boot drive, the write speeds won't make a difference. The Vertex 2 might be faster with photo editing.
m
l
February 9, 2011 8:01:06 PM

Since you have the access to the SATA III, it's kind of hard not to recommend the RealSSD.

Is 128gb out of the question due to budget?
m
l
February 9, 2011 8:21:46 PM

LordConrad said:
I have a Vertex 2 in my laptop and am very pleased with it. Since this is a single drive laptop, write speeds were important. As a boot drive, the write speeds won't make a difference. The Vertex 2 might be faster with photo editing.

yea im really wanting the increased speed for doing photoshop work. i know ssds should really speed that up
m
l
February 9, 2011 8:25:09 PM

willmalcom said:
Since you have the access to the SATA III, it's kind of hard not to recommend the RealSSD.

Is 128gb out of the question due to budget?

i really wanted to stay under about 150 dollars. do the RealSSD have different speeds for 128gb?
m
l
a b G Storage
February 9, 2011 8:28:48 PM

Corsair just released the Performance 3 series, it is a SATA III SSD with better write speeds than Crucial RealSSD.
m
l
February 9, 2011 8:34:36 PM

LordConrad said:
Corsair just released the Performance 3 series, it is a SATA III SSD with better write speeds than Crucial RealSSD.

The performance III fails w/ 4k read and write times. They are gimped, and IMO shouldn't be considered.

EDIT: I say this because I just inspected them pretty thoroughly before I went with the crucial, but because of the price and the 20Mb/s 4k read/write speeds, I decided not to go with it.
m
l
February 9, 2011 8:39:43 PM

npowers86 said:
i really wanted to stay under about 150 dollars. do the RealSSD have different speeds for 128gb?

The RealSSD 128gb reads @ 355 mb/s writes @ 140 mb/s.

But, if you are trying to stay below $150, either the 64gb Vertex 2 or Crucial RealSSD is a good choice IMO.
m
l
February 9, 2011 8:44:00 PM

willmalcom said:
The RealSSD 128gb reads @ 355 mb/s writes @ 140 mb/s.

But, if you are trying to stay below $150, either the 64gb Vertex 2 or Crucial RealSSD is a good choice IMO.

cool thank you so much for the advice
m
l
February 9, 2011 9:17:09 PM

NP, let us know what you choose!
m
l
a c 114 G Storage
February 9, 2011 11:20:29 PM

LordConrad said:

Same hardware, different firmware.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4116/corsair-performance-...

Quote:
Based on the same Marvell controller as Micron’s C300/C400 but with what Corsair tells us is a different firmware, the P3 is supposed to be very quick.

m
l
February 10, 2011 1:00:49 PM

willmalcom said:
NP, let us know what you choose!

yea its gonna be a tough decision, i will probly just flip a coin before i order one on newegg, haha im just kidding. probly going with the RealSSD
m
l
February 18, 2011 2:42:41 PM

Best answer selected by npowers86.
m
l
!