Sign in with
Your question

Wtarecooling help

Last response: in Overclocking
April 30, 2011 3:14:22 PM

Hello,

I am after some advice on water cooling in a hot country and have no local help is anyone around who can help or should I just post to the furum??

More about : wtarecooling

April 30, 2011 3:24:58 PM

Just post your questions,

What are you all trying to watercool and is your case setup for watercooling? what is your budget.
April 30, 2011 3:45:08 PM

I'll fill you in on the background information, some of it will have to wait till I get home from work!!

I live in Egypt and (believe it or not) Watercooling kits and parts are not available here, sure the local PC shop stock CPU fans the size of dustbin lid - that make a load of noise, for me silent operation is far more preferable. First off, I am not really into overclocking just want my PC to run quiet!!!.

My current PC uses a CoolerMaster kit on the CPU that I bought out from the UK a few years ago but is now needing upgrading. Over the last several months and a few ebay auctions and friends bringing me bits and bobs, I now have a pile of watercooling bits that will, (with a bit of inginuity), form the heart of my new system. I have :-

1) Socket 775 Block
2) 2 x Danger Den maze 3 GPU blocks
3) One unidentied reservoir of clear acrylic 5 .25 drive bay size with integrated pump
4) ThermalTake 5.25 reservoir with no pump
5) ThermalTake Fan and Rad (not sure of the size but it's big, will only just fit in a case)
6) Assorted barbs, tubes, clips, led's etc.

My original idea is to canibalize my CoolerMaster kit and pair it with the ThermalTake fan and mount them with the clear reservoir in a box outside on my patio. Run the pipes inside to my PC and into the second res, from there use another pump to run a dual loop for 2 x 7900 GTX sli and my CPU - Northbridge and southbridge, memory and HD rely on air cooling

My questions are thus :-

1) The unidentified res with integral pump has a molex fitting but the wires from the pump are blue / brown, this suggests to me that it is mains operated, does this sound correct to you, anyone recognize the unit from this description, I'd like to get to know some idea of flow rate etc.

2) The 775 block - I have taken it to a freind who has a PC shop and have mated the backplate with an 1155 (I think) motherboard and it appears to fit. My question is - If it will fit other mobo's can it be used with other processors or will the cooling be insuficient - I haven't decided what processor / mobo to buy yet - Am I best stickinh with 775

Any help would greatly be appreciated

Peers
Related resources
May 1, 2011 6:22:28 PM

Ok - quick follow up :-

The 775 waterblock is from thermaltake too - I have emailed their tech support to see if I can ID it properly (maybe a well old model) - BTW The Danger Den Block are maze 4 not 3.

If I have to stay with 775 socket my plan is to use an Asus P5N32 Plus Motherboard with a Intel 9650 core duo quad CPU.

I think the best idea I have at the moment is to get my rad configuration sorted and operating, heat a pan of water to say fifty degrees, suck it in through the system and measure the temperature coming out - Hell it's a long time since my physics days but I shoud get an idea of the efficiency.

Part of the problem is that putting the unit outside - it will have to able to cope with a massive temperature swing. During the day, outside shade temperatures will reach 35 degrees plus but at night it will drop to 15 or so, even in summer and in winter that drops to a few degrees above freezing - But I'll cross that bridge when I come to it LOL

Cheers from Peers

May 1, 2011 6:31:42 PM

You would have to run antifreeze if you put it outside.
May 2, 2011 6:32:58 PM

Well - I don't need to worry about it freezing - Never gets below freezing even in middle of winter, but all the petrol stations sell Glycol not as antifreeze but as a better heat transfer liquid - should I use coolant as 50 /50 mix, glycol / distilled water.

Been to the engineering workshop who is building the external unit - they have managed to find me another rad (from a cold drinks dispenser) about 25 cm x 25 cm - Ok the fan is mains but easily change that - so look to have three radiators now :>)

Still do the tests though, we're up to about 42 degrees C now during the day, the patio NEVER gets that hot cos it's shaded and has a nice breeze.

Not heard back from thermaltake yet but I think that Asus / Intel 9650 is the way to go!

Cheers From Peers
a b K Overclocking
May 2, 2011 8:29:09 PM

Hello PeersC and welcome to the forums.

I know this sounds strange, but how do you get water supplied to your home?
May 3, 2011 6:36:17 AM

Hya Arthur,

Drinking water is by bottle from Supermarket and Tap / washing water is by Tanker from a well 100 Kilometres away, comes and fills up our tank but very expensive, like 4$ per cubic metre.

Peers
a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2011 1:37:08 PM

Thanks for your reply.

I did not even have a clue how you may have recieved your house hold water.

At any rate the reason I asked is I built a water cooling system that used house hold water but here in the U.S. it is rather inexpensive to do so and produces acceptable "waste" water that unless you are able to recover for your use again would be cost prohibited for you.

Here is a LINK for you that is very good at explaining closed loop water cooling solutions.

Good luck to you. :sol: 
May 3, 2011 6:10:27 PM

Thanks Arthur,

I will have to own up to breaking a few laws here - Hope my emails aren't being monitored LOL.

I use watercooling in a very different manner - I run a homemade reflux still to distill my own liquor that is water cooled, from a reservoir that I cool with a rad and if needed ice-packs, but apart from my cooler master kit, when It comes to cooling a PC, I am a relative Newbie.

The temperatures I am talking about are in Celcius not Farenheit, still not heard back from ThermalTake :>(.

I have read the article and found it very interesting 8mm seems to be the best for me - from space in the case, the existing kit I have collected and what I available in local hardware stores.

So I am about to get the guys at the engineering workshop to start putting together the ouside unit - will be 600 mm wide, 200 mm deep and 250 mm high. Will enclose Reservoir with Coolermaster Rad (100 mm fan) under it, then the thermaltake Rad (120mm fan) then the drink cooler rad with 4 x 120mm fans.

That's the plan.

Cheers From Peers
a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2011 6:30:10 PM

Wow! Sounds like you know a thing or two about water cooling none the less.

Most water blocks for your CPU come with a backing plate so you do not distort your motherboard. Some GPU blocks also come with a backing plate but not all.

You said that you are considering a 775 build. Can you get a new Intel i2xxx series build instead?

The reason I mention this is I built a Sandy Bridge i2400 stock PC for a customer earlier this year. I installed a GTX480 to compare to my OC'd 775 Q9550 @ 3.85GHz and the new PC beat my PC by about 200 pionts using 3DMarkVantage.

So..., if you can get a plate made that will fit a 1155 then that is what I would suggest at this time. It is also better cost per GHz than 775 as well.
May 5, 2011 6:30:44 PM

Thanks Arthur,

I've stuck with the 775 - Ordered the Asus P5N32 Plus Motherboard with a Intel 9650 core duo quad CPU.

LOL Still not heard from Thermaltake :>((.

Arthur, between you an ao24 - you have given me a brilliant Idea!!!!

Part of the reason a reflux still works so well is down to efficient heat exchangers, I got to thinking how simelar the two technologies are and that maybe I could incorporate a heat exchanger in my new build.

Idea is to fill rads, reservoir and heat exchanger with glycol - Run this loop 24 / 7 during the night, cold temps will drop the temps in this loop - and "bank" the thermal energy for use later , if I get my calculations right, I should also get a natural peltier effect, could also maybe incorporate a peltier element to use heat from the PC / daytime heat and store / cool with that at peak demand.

Second loop would be a simple feed from the PC to the heat exchanger drawing cold water in and passing hot out.

I've had my thinking cap on and have come up with a workable design for a heat exchanger that anyone with a couple of hours of time could assemble - with parts from DIY store, plumbers yard and an Air conditioning supplier.

Prolly someone already tried this ???

What do you think ???

PeersC
May 6, 2011 1:54:02 AM

"Idea is to fill rads, reservoir and heat exchanger with glycol - Run this loop 24 / 7 during the night, cold temps will drop the temps in this loop - and "bank" the thermal energy for use later , if I get my calculations right, I should also get a natural peltier effect, could also maybe incorporate a peltier element to use heat from the PC / daytime heat and store / cool with that at peak demand.
'

With your large temperature swings Peers, be cautious about the possibility of condensation forming on the water blocks. I don't know if the humidity will get high enough where you live, but it could be a concern.
May 6, 2011 4:26:41 AM

Good Point BigDav,

In my case it shouldn't be a problem - where we live is officially a desert and humidity is very low.

But even so will take care. Obvious solution would be to tape a silica gel pack to each block.

My PC is only switched on when I need it, so the watercooling loop in the PC will draw from the heat exchanger as it needs it, the mobo will stilll contol most of the fans on the rads. The Asus can handle up to 8 fans.

Thing is, I am still working on theories - I wont get my mobo and processor until the end of May, when a friend comes here on vacation - so got a lot of time to kill before and concentrate on getting the cooling right. Off work today, so will prolly spend some time putting some drawings together and take another trip to engineering workshop and give them the go ahead.

Looking forward to it, should be a fun project!!!!!

Peers
a b K Overclocking
May 6, 2011 11:16:23 AM

I agree with BigDav thou hopefully being in the desert may actually be benefical to you due to low night time temps. That is some pretty good thinking my friend.

Many homes in really cold climates do the same thing as you except in reverse. Store heat energy during the day and use it at night. :) 

Good luck to you. :sol: 
May 6, 2011 11:47:55 AM

Thanks Arthurh,

A heat exchanger can be used both ways rund, heat or cold is only thermal energy and behaves according to set rules, here is a rough block diagram of what I have in mind :-

Still workig the sum out LOL

Peers
a b K Overclocking
May 6, 2011 2:52:21 PM

I would have to say that it appears as thou you have things well in hand.

Be sure and let us know how well it works out for you and thanks for sharing.

Art
July 4, 2011 5:51:49 PM

Quick update,

Been kind of busy the last few months - Got new mobo up and runnning on air cooling for time being. The heat exchange unit is here with the rads all installed but I am missing a few key components for the actual heat exchanger. I'll post some photos at the weekend

Coming on real nice and if it works the way I expect it to it may be the future of effecient, green, PC cooling!!

PeersC
a b K Overclocking
July 5, 2011 3:43:14 PM

As a side thought, take a look at this Link, it may have some good info for you in your situation. :sol: 
July 5, 2011 6:39:26 PM

Thanks Arthur,

I'll start with a new thread - Too much on this one, Heat Exchange Build.

Interesting reading - I'll keep you posted and get some pictures uploaded

PeersC
!