Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GTA 4 Lagging because of my cpu??

Last response: in CPUs
September 8, 2009 12:42:23 AM

I have an AMD X2 3800+ 2.0GHz, and i just upgraded to a radeon HD 4850 1gb, i play at 1440x900 on a 19" monitor. It lags alot even with EVERYTHING on lowest settings. Someone told me that GTA 4 is a cpu game. So im pretty sure my cpu is bottlenecking my brand new 4850 card. Im upgrading my computer with a new mobo, an AMD Phenom II X3 2.8GHz proc., and im going to migrate the video card over and do crossfire 4850s later on. Anyone think my cpu is the main problem with GTA 4 lagging?

By the way, i ran a benchmark on GTA 4, and my cpu usage was at 98%, and my Graphics card was only being used 25%. So maybe the huge step in upgrading from my crappy amd dual core to a new phenom II 2.8GHz X3 will help alot with the gameplay.

Links to upgrades

MOBO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU

More about : gta lagging cpu

September 8, 2009 2:12:22 AM

Yes its because of cpu. even the extreme end cpus have difficult time running GTA4(they dont lag but fps is really low). That upgrade will really help u a lot not only in GTA4 but also in many other games.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 8, 2009 2:16:04 AM

If your CPU is at 98% and Videcard at 25%, you have a situation that is, indeed, the definition of a CPU bottleneck. You will notice a HUGE improvement with the new rig.

For running GTAIV, I saw the biggest performance increase from OCing the CPU. Upgrading from my 4870 512mb to 4870x2 was far less impressive than hitting 3.35ghz on the CPU (up from 2.6) with the single 4870. If you are getting the 720BE than it may be worth it to try OC it a little and see how that improves the performance (since the BE are OC-for-dummies chips).
m
l
Related resources
September 8, 2009 3:15:01 AM

JofaMang said:
If your CPU is at 98% and Videcard at 25%, you have a situation that is, indeed, the definition of a CPU bottleneck. You will notice a HUGE improvement with the new rig.

For running GTAIV, I saw the biggest performance increase from OCing the CPU. Upgrading from my 4870 512mb to 4870x2 was far less impressive than hitting 3.35ghz on the CPU (up from 2.6) with the single 4870. If you are getting the 720BE than it may be worth it to try OC it a little and see how that improves the performance (since the BE are OC-for-dummies chips).

See i know alot about computers, but when it comes to overclocking, im sittin there scratching my head, and then when i saw how easy it is to overclock the 720BEs and also, how to unlock the 4th core(i know to do with high caution), i knew i needed one. For $125, its not that expensive. Plus i plan on just overclocking the 720 from 2.8-3.2GHz. If that mobo will let me do so. And i agree about the performance increase, i went from an ATI X1300 256mb DDR2 to a 4850 1gb, and i can actually play my games, but i cant wait till friday, thats when i get my paycheck, and 300 is going to the amd Phenom II, Gigabyte mobo, and a 730W PSU
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 8, 2009 4:47:51 AM

Your MoBo should accomodate your needs easily. Although it must always be said that every chip and mobo is different, apparently 3.2ghz is a fairly easy OC for the 720BE, as it should only require increasing the multiplier. Others have claimed keeping voltage stock as high as 3.4 on stock HSF, something I couldn't achieve with stability on my 710 (though everyday use is undervolted @3.0ghz).

I wish I had spent a bit extra on a SB750 mobo for possibly unlocking the 4th core, but that was in its infancy when I built this rig, and I was on a budget, heh.
m
l
September 8, 2009 6:46:47 AM

I get around 30-50FPS while playing GTA 4. It doesn't use SLI, so just one GPU is utilized.
m
l
September 8, 2009 9:45:40 AM

Check to see is a Phenom II 940 is on your mobo's support list, flash your BIOS and you'll be able to install a quad core no problem. (GTA IV loves quad cores)
m
l
September 8, 2009 10:07:26 AM

shuffman37 said:
Check to see is a Phenom II 940 is on your mobo's support list, flash your BIOS and you'll be able to install a quad core no problem. (GTA IV loves quad cores)

I decided on this CPU,

Im in love with GTA 4. But my cpu makes it almost impossible to play. It lags so that its not a big notice, but its about 15-20fps, and its enough to strain my eyes, and make me get headaches. I cant wait to build my new computer, i have a pretty decent build

My future pc

cpu

case

MOBO

memory (im bringing over my 4GBs of DDR2 OCZ fatality ram)

HD(160GB for O/S and 1TB for games and data)

Video Card
ATI 4850 1GB (in a month ill have crossfire)
m
l
September 8, 2009 12:31:41 PM

I would save some money and get a cheaper case.

I like my Antec 300. It has good air flow for the price, once a front 120mm fan is added, and it's a nice simple design.
m
l
September 8, 2009 9:09:04 PM

That phenom 2 quad core will play gta around 60fps on high settings so you'll be very happy. As more games become mutlicore friendly that CPU will be good for another 2-3 years easily. I'm not sure how GTA handles a crossfire set up but that card should be able to keep up well with the CPU.
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 8, 2009 9:13:59 PM

I know you've already been told it's because of your cpu, but it should of been obvious since your cpu is below the required listed on the games box.

The Phenom II 940 is a great processor, overclocks easily as well. You should be able to reach 3.4Ghz on stock voltage with the stock heatsink without problems, unless you have terrible case airflow. Get an aftermarket cooler and throw some more voltage at it and you'll reach 3.6ghz +
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 8, 2009 9:53:40 PM

one-shot said:
I get around 30-50FPS while playing GTA 4. It doesn't use SLI, so just one GPU is utilized.

That is normal, raise your xAA and distance and check your FPS again.....

GTA4 was poorly coded and that is the main reason it is hard to get high FPS regardless of what CPU you have.... You can even notice it on the PS3 or Xbox 360.... Once you start blowing everything up and you have mass peeps running for their lives, any system will lag no mater what....
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 8, 2009 9:59:26 PM

The only time I saw GTA4 run flawless was when Maxishine (youtube) decided to build a gaming rig that consisted of an EVGA Classified, i7 975 (4.0Ghz) 3 GTX 285's in TRI-SLI, 6GB DDR3 2000MHZ, dual SSD's in raid0 and a 1,200w PSU.... But of course who spends 5 grand just to play a game?
m
l
September 8, 2009 10:00:39 PM

San Pedro said:
I would save some money and get a cheaper case.

I like my Antec 300. It has good air flow for the price, once a front 120mm fan is added, and it's a nice simple design.

Well ive kinda wanted that case ever since the p182, so i went ahead and bought it when i got my new graphics card, its just sitting in the shipping box until i get my mobo and cpu. Im not into extreme OCing, so ill probly just keep it at 3.4GHz, thatd be fine for me, until i opt for an aftermarket cooler, then ill push it a little more. Anyone recommend the Coolermaster V8 cpu cooler?
m
l

Best solution

September 8, 2009 10:02:26 PM

redwine01 said:
Yes its because of cpu.

I totally agree. You've got an ancient dual core CPU. GTA4 needs a modern quad-core.
September 8, 2009 10:05:40 PM

high tech redneck 1990 said:
I decided on this CPU,

That's a good choice. There's no need to get the 965 when the 955 will probably OC just as well.

You may want to wait a few, we might see some major price drops on AMD's high-end in response to the i5 release.

You may also want to consider an i5, but the 955BE will also do great for that game and you can save a few bucks. If you OC well it you can come pretty close to i5 750 performance, which would cost more @$210 and a more expensive motherboard.
m
l
September 8, 2009 10:24:48 PM

GTA4 runs pretty well on my system. Not perfect of course. Every bit of OCin helps tho.
m
l
September 9, 2009 12:14:56 AM

On mine, it gives me headaches cuz it lags just enough to strain my eyes. Im moving my hard drives to my new computer, and ill have to reinstall windows. Im thinking its gonna delete my saved games from how far ive gotten. Im thinking ill just uninstall it and reinstall it on my new system, im only at 26%, so it wont take me to much to get back to where i wanna be. And also ill just wait till friday, im buying my stuff, ill have all my new stuff by monday. Ive been wanting to upgrade and build my own bad*ss computer myself. Instead of buying from others and only upgrading my graphics and memory, all im concerned about is installing the cpu, i just dont wanna screw it up
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2009 12:16:24 AM

It is fairly easy to install the CPU... If you need help let me know....
m
l
September 9, 2009 1:27:03 AM

thanks man, ive been looking on youtube for some help, and it seems pretty easy. Also, ive got a wooden desk, amd tile floor, that should be good enough to avoid static discharge without having to buy a wristsrtap
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2009 1:32:34 AM

It's really easy as long as you have patience... The hardest part is spreading the paste evenly on the CPU and that is even considered easy so in all you have nothing to worry about.... As far as static goes as long as you touch the PSU before you install you are good....
m
l
September 12, 2009 12:47:43 AM

Well everyone, i did alot of research, and ive decided to go with these components in my pc as far as my PSU, CPU, and MOBO.

MOBO
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

CPU

PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (I bought this thing this morning, it shipped, and as soon as it shipped, it went on back order, i was lucky to get one of the last few they had in stock, a $125 PSU for only $65)

I went with the mobo from tigerdirect, cuz the gigabyte board i was recommended, i read in reviews around 5-6 people were saying theirs wouldnt support their quad core 955 or 940s, it would only show up as 2 cores. So the asus board from tigerdirect had awsome reviews, and plus, its guaranteed to support AM3 cpus out of the box. And the psu is a good 750Watt with 4 pci express power cables, and a 4+4 cable for the cpu power, and its modular. All for around $390 after next day shipping.

I'll post on tuesday or wednesday about the performance, and whats going on. Thanks for all your help guys, Talk to yall later
m
l
!