Sign in with
Your question

A quick fan cable question

Last response: in Components
September 8, 2009 2:53:10 AM

Ok this is going to sound kind of dumb but I'm going to ask it anyways!

So The power supply that i purchased came with like 4 peripheral/molex cables for the fans. My case has used them all up, meaning i have none left for if I want to add an extra fan.

I purchased a side case fan for the graphics, and What i want to do is buy another cable and stick it into the power supply, just like the ones that it comes with.

I'm having a problem finding them, maybe im not looking it up under the right name or something, or I may still be confused about what it is im looking for?

So originally i bought this cable, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Obviously after reading the details again and trying it out i found it to not work. Putting it into the fan and then power supply, not only did it not work but it caused my power supply to not even turn on! (scared me but after a couple minutes of unplugging it out it turned back on phew)

So Can someone point me to the appropriate cable I should be looking for to plug this fan with my power supply? Thanks!

"The plug on the motherboard for the fan is dead, i could rma it but I'd have to go through waiting etc. etc., so i find it more to my convience to buy this plug"
September 8, 2009 3:23:40 AM

Just plug the fan into your motherboard sys fan header. No need to make it complicated.
September 8, 2009 3:28:01 AM

dkev said:
Just plug the fan into your motherboard sys fan header. No need to make it complicated.

haha i knew someone would ask. The slot to plug it in on my motehrboard is dead. I called up the company, they said they'd rma it but I don't have the time to be dealing with the waiting and then the dis-assamble and reassambling, along with the period of no computer.

So how about an answer for the quick plug solution
Related resources
September 8, 2009 3:54:29 AM

I am assuming that your molex connectors arn't hard wired into the fan. In other words they plug in to a smaller connector that is wired to your fan. If that is the case. That will work. You just don't plug the PWN connector into the mobo. The two pin in the molex is the hot and neutral. Thats all you need. The other 2 pins are just for RPM readings. If you don't have the smaller connector then you will need to use this. http://www.coolerguys.com/840556087083.html
Thats actually a lot nicer and will work either way.
September 8, 2009 4:11:27 AM

dkev said:
I am assuming that your molex connectors arn't hard wired into the fan. In other words they plug in to a smaller connector that is wired to your fan. If that is the case. That will work. You just don't plug the PWN connector into the mobo. The two pin in the molex is the hot and neutral. Thats all you need. The other 2 pins are just for RPM readings. If you don't have the smaller connector then you will need to use this. http://www.coolerguys.com/840556087083.html
Thats actually a lot nicer and will work either way.

Nope didn't understand that lol.
Thank you very much though for your help dkev, eeer i think ill just give up and put the spare fan in a drawer and not use it, i wouldnt have this problem if my power supply came with more peripheral cables though, so i assume you can't just buy one of those? Ill try calling the company up and asking tommrow.
!