Can i install windows in laptop without any OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayanksinghsolanki

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
I was thinking if i purchase a laptop without OS (like DOS on it) Can i install windows xp or windows 7 on it.

I was searching for it on web and couldn't find any reasonable answer.

I have a Genuine Windows XP home edition CD that came with my COMPAQ computer in 2002. I use it and upgrade it to Service pack 3 and it works fine.

But could i install windows xp using the CD on some DELL or HP or ASUS or other LAPTOP without any OS?

I would like to install windows 7 but some of the software that i use in office work only in windows xp. like BUSY

The question is a little weird but could i install both windows XP & 7 on one Laptop?

Thanks for all your suggestions in advance.

Mayank Singh Solanki.

Solution
If you have a retail version, not OEM, then you can have it installed on any computer as long as it's not installed on more than one computer at a time.

Considering XP isn't available any more you are extremely limited as to what you can do. I'll turn my back now and not peek. ;)

mayanksinghsolanki

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010

Yes i have genuine windows xp (OEM ) version. I want windows xp in the laptop that dont come preinstalled at this time.
Can i use OEM version with it.

Did you purchase the OEM version sepeartely or did it come included with another system? If it came included with a system, you can't legally install it on another computer. If you purchase an OEM version from a retailer, you can install it on any computer that meets it's system requirements. Once installed, you can't legally move it to another system.

mayanksinghsolanki

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010

The WINDOWS CD came with the COMPAQ PRESARIO system that i purchased almost 10 years ago. It came with an certificate of authenticity with the key written on it. When i changed my system and assembled a new computer i installed the windows on it and it is working fine.

Now i am planning to buy a laptop without any windows and want to install WINDOWS myself.

I paid for the whole system almost 50,000 Rupees[INR], so technically i paid for the windows also. But It is a COMPAQ disk so would it run only on a COMPAQ laptop or i can install on other brands laptop also.

Thank You..

mayanksinghsolanki

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010

Thanks for the reply.

I know it's illegal to use an OEM version of windows on some other computer but what can i do if i want to install windows xp in a laptop? I know that most laptop manufacturers have stopped shipping laptops with windows xp as most of them come with windows 7 installed on it.

Is there some other way i could install windows xp on it?

Thank You

If you have a retail version, not OEM, then you can have it installed on any computer as long as it's not installed on more than one computer at a time.

Considering XP isn't available any more you are extremely limited as to what you can do. I'll turn my back now and not peek. ;)

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.