Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Can i install windows in laptop without any OS

Last response: in Windows XP
November 10, 2011 11:19:37 AM

I was thinking if i purchase a laptop without OS (like DOS on it) Can i install windows xp or windows 7 on it.

I was searching for it on web and couldn't find any reasonable answer.

I have a Genuine Windows XP home edition CD that came with my COMPAQ computer in 2002. I use it and upgrade it to Service pack 3 and it works fine.

But could i install windows xp using the CD on some DELL or HP or ASUS or other LAPTOP without any OS?

I would like to install windows 7 but some of the software that i use in office work only in windows xp. like BUSY

The question is a little weird but could i install both windows XP & 7 on one Laptop?

Thanks for all your suggestions in advance.

Mayank Singh Solanki.

More about : install windows laptop

a b D Laptop
a c 219 $ Windows 7
November 10, 2011 11:26:43 AM

Those systems come with the OEM versions of windows. Legally, your aren't allowed to transfer those to other computers.

If you have legal versions of win 7 and XP, yes, you can make a dual boot system.
November 10, 2011 11:39:41 AM

Hawkeye22 said:
Those systems come with the OEM versions of windows. Legally, your aren't allowed to transfer those to other computers.

If you have legal versions of win 7 and XP, yes, you can make a dual boot system.

Yes i have genuine windows xp (OEM ) version. I want windows xp in the laptop that dont come preinstalled at this time.
Can i use OEM version with it.
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a c 219 $ Windows 7
November 10, 2011 11:59:47 AM

Did you purchase the OEM version sepeartely or did it come included with another system? If it came included with a system, you can't legally install it on another computer. If you purchase an OEM version from a retailer, you can install it on any computer that meets it's system requirements. Once installed, you can't legally move it to another system.
November 10, 2011 3:32:53 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Did you purchase the OEM version sepeartely or did it come included with another system? If it came included with a system, you can't legally install it on another computer. If you purchase an OEM version from a retailer, you can install it on any computer that meets it's system requirements. Once installed, you can't legally move it to another system.

The WINDOWS CD came with the COMPAQ PRESARIO system that i purchased almost 10 years ago. It came with an certificate of authenticity with the key written on it. When i changed my system and assembled a new computer i installed the windows on it and it is working fine.

Now i am planning to buy a laptop without any windows and want to install WINDOWS myself.

I paid for the whole system almost 50,000 Rupees[INR], so technically i paid for the windows also. But It is a COMPAQ disk so would it run only on a COMPAQ laptop or i can install on other brands laptop also.

Thank You..
a b D Laptop
a c 219 $ Windows 7
November 10, 2011 3:38:04 PM

Windows will run on any computer that meets it's system requirements. That doesn't make it legal. If it's an OEM copy of windows then legally it's bound to the first computer it was installed on.
November 10, 2011 4:14:30 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Windows will run on any computer that meets it's system requirements. That doesn't make it legal. If it's an OEM copy of windows then legally it's bound to the first computer it was installed on.

Thanks for the reply.

I know it's illegal to use an OEM version of windows on some other computer but what can i do if i want to install windows xp in a laptop? I know that most laptop manufacturers have stopped shipping laptops with windows xp as most of them come with windows 7 installed on it.

Is there some other way i could install windows xp on it?

Thank You

Best solution

a b D Laptop
a c 219 $ Windows 7
November 10, 2011 4:50:06 PM

If you have a retail version, not OEM, then you can have it installed on any computer as long as it's not installed on more than one computer at a time.

Considering XP isn't available any more you are extremely limited as to what you can do. I'll turn my back now and not peek. ;) 
November 10, 2011 5:12:43 PM

Best answer selected by mayanksinghsolanki.
a b D Laptop
a c 372 $ Windows 7
November 10, 2011 10:32:46 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
!