Phenom II X4 955 or core I5 2.6GGHZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ not accurate. Check Anandtech for actual overclocking of the i5 750
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3634&p=18

Quote from the article:
"We tried overclocking three different CPUs: the Core i7 870, Core i7 860 and Core i5 750. We overclocked using two different coolers: the retail low profile HSF and a Thermalright MUX-120 (the heatsink Intel is sending around to reviewers for high performance testing). I'll get one thing out of the way: the retail heatsink pretty much sucks for overclocking:"

Where did you read this? As far as I know the 965 is superior to the 750 at stock clocks... This is obvious since the 965 is almost 700Mhz faster.....

As far as testing goes the 955 and i7 920 trade blows in almost every benchmark... The 750 is not superior to the 920 so your statement makes no sense....

There's official reviews all over the net by now, and loneninja is correct - i5 750 matches up or exceeds the P2-965 in gaming and synthetics. 3 articles here on Tom's front page, Anandtech, Techgage, HotHardware, Extremetech, Guru3d, Techreport, Techspot, etc etc etc.

Intel stole the price/performance crown back from AMD. AMD will have to drop the 965 price to equal or lower than that of the i5-750...

I hope this (and subsequent) weeks are not like this.

Could someone explain how 'Turbo' would effect benchie comparisons?

Let's say you look at CineBench single thread ---- would that be with turbo enabled?

If so would that be 'clock to clock' with a Phenom 955? Anand explained the 'single core' clock but it sometimes is very hard in some articles to figure the turbo thing out ...

Please don't flame me --- LOL --- I'd just like an explanation for an idiot like me.

I saw one review where they disabled Turbo, but I've seen so many this morning I'd hafta spend an hour trying to find it again :). However Turbo was enhanced with the i5 & i7-8xx CPUs - the 750 can jump up from 2.6 to 3.2GHz on one or two core utilization now, instead of 2.93 as with the i7-920. From the Anand review:

Speaking of turbo, I'd say that Intel is definitely on to something here. The performance impact was small with Bloomfield, but turbo on Lynnfield is huge. My tests showed up to a 17% increase in performance depending on the workload, with most CPU-influenced scenarios seeing at least 9 or 10%. The turbo mode transitions happen fast enough to accelerate even simple actions like opening a new window. OS and application responsiveness is significantly improved as a result and it's something that you can actually feel when using a Lynnfield machine. It all works so seamlessly, you just always get the best performance you need. It's like Intel crammed the best single, dual and quad-core processors all into one package.

dna708

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
With both the pII 965 and i5-750 giving their all (eg turbo enabled, everything at stock), they are basically neck to neck. I wouldn't give either the win. But for the OP, I would choose the i5. You could probably get it within $50 of a similar pII platform.

silvergo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Comparing the 955 Be and I5, which one is the better deal? reading alot of the benchmarks, i5 seems like the best deal being only 20+ more $, but which one is best for gaming? thx

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
I`m not sure if the CPU would last longer. Physically, sure, but it`s biggest advantage comes from `Turbo`, and that`will have less of an impact as apps become more multithreaded.

silvergo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
yea it be nice if i had a microcenter close to me, but like most people i can only get stuff from online. in this case whats the best deal then?

If you're overclocking there's no reason to get the P2 965BE, the P2 955BE overclocks to the same level. One thing i am curious about is the lack of benchmarks that compare an overclocked i5 750 to an overclocked P2 955/965. I've looked at about 8 different sites now and none of them have shown those benchmarks. Even here at Toms they haven't released their overclocking article yet, they've only shown benchmarks of the i5/i7 with turbo enabled against stock clocked P965s

I would get the i5 regardless of overclocking or not....

The P2 955 has the third fastest CPU overclock in history.... the i5 750 has not seen more than 5.2Ghz to this date... We still have to wait a couple of weeks before we know what the i5 can achieve under AIR/WATER/DICE/Ln2 etc.......

Status
Not open for further replies.