How do I add new HDD and Win 7HP 64 to old system. Old guy needs help

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
How to hard drive

Since it’s going to be a while before a new Sandy Bridge build for me, I’m adding more RAM, a new bigger, faster WD Black HDD and Windows 7 HP 64 bit to my old AMD socket 939 build.

I’d appreciate some instructions, info and advice from all you young hot shots about how to change over to the new HDD and Windows 7HP 64.

First I assume I should back up my old WD Caviar SE 16 WD2500K HDD which is only about 250 GB and I’ve only filled up about 35 gigs at most. I have an external WD HD Elements 120 GB WDBAAR 120ABK with a usb cable.

After I back up the old drive up, should I disconnect it?

Then I install and connect the new HD?

Then install W7 HP 64 bit on the new drive?

I think I can install my financial trading software programs direct from the sites. Should I also download IE 9 from the MS site? I still like IE 7 because of the way the favorites work.

How do I transfer various data from the old HDD or external HDD without getting all the junk and trash that I don’t like or want?

Should I keep my old HDD as a backup on the system? Do I have to do a Raid setup to do that? Is that hard to do or not advised with 2 different versions and sizes of HDD’s? Or should I or would it just be easier to back up with my little external HDD? I obviously don’t have a lot of data.

Is it worth it to use one of the programs like LapLink? Do they really work or make things easier?

How many other things am I missing here? What else should I know before I leap? Please inform me or wise me up.

I’d appreciate any and all help or suggestions. I don't even know if I'm asking the right questions here.

I’ll also post this in the software forum.

Thanks all.

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
You're pretty well on track. Forget about RAID, just back up key files periodically, either to an external HD or a net-based backup/storage site.

Is all of your hardware (including video cards, sound, etc) compatible with 64 bit windows? Why do you want 64 bit?

I'd re-install the OS then all applications, and just copy back what you need (stuff in My Documents, IE bookmarks, pictures, etc)

TRENDING THREADS