getting online

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
April 13, 2004 1:03:32 PM

I'm going to buy a new notebook soon but I dont know how the internet
woks with laptops. At home I have DSL so I'm guessing I can use that
to get online but I dont know what I need. Also when I'm on the road
what will I have to buy so I can get wireless internet acess. The most
I can spend at this will probably be $100 so what is the best I can
get for that?

More about : online

April 13, 2004 2:21:52 PM

Many laptops come with built in wireless LAN and/or ethernet
capability. If yours doesn't have built in wireless, you can get a
PCMCIA card that has a wireless adapter. Most have a built in antenna,
some have a small external antenna. I have one that has a small
external antenna that either attaches directly to the PC card or can
attach with an extension that allows mounting up to 18 inches up and
away from the laptop. You should be able to get a wireless adapter for
your laptop for around $60. Zoom Telephonics and D-Link are two that I
have and both work very well.

If your home DSL is connected to a wireless router, that will be all
you need to connect your laptop to the internet. If you don't have a
wireless router, you would need an ethernet connection on your laptop.
There are several ways to share an internet connection and set up a
small home network. A wireless router would cost about $70 or a lot
less if you settled for one of the "11b" versions.

When you travel, you will most likely need wireless capability to
connect to local networks. I have seen some hotels that have ethernet
connections, but most offer wireless internet access. My wireless PC
card has software that scans for local signals and allows me to "join"
any network that it finds. That is all I have ever had to do to access
the internet in places that offer internet connections for their
guests/customers.

Regards, hawk

Paul wrote:

> I'm going to buy a new notebook soon but I dont know how the internet
> woks with laptops. At home I have DSL so I'm guessing I can use that
> to get online but I dont know what I need. Also when I'm on the road
> what will I have to buy so I can get wireless internet acess. The most
> I can spend at this will probably be $100 so what is the best I can
> get for that?
April 13, 2004 6:22:45 PM

"hawk" <hawk@spamex.com> wrote in message
> When you travel, you will most likely need wireless capability to
> connect to local networks. I have seen some hotels that have ethernet
> connections, but most offer wireless internet access. My wireless PC
> card has software that scans for local signals and allows me to "join"
> any network that it finds. That is all I have ever had to do to access
> the internet in places that offer internet connections for their
> guests/customers.

Alternatly, if you're truly 'on the road' and at a place that doesn't
offer networks for their guests, you can get a cellular PC card for you
laptop from many cellular providers. It's not the fastest way to connect,
but it's enough to do e-mail and instant messaging. Check out
http://tinyurl.com/2lyrm to see Sprint's selection. There are other, and
some networks even allow you to hook your cell phone directly to your laptop
to access their data networks.

Aaron
Related resources
April 13, 2004 6:22:46 PM

Yes, good point. Verizon is another provider of internet access via
cellular. Although I believe the service is limited to larger cities.

Regards, hawk

Aaron wrote:
> "hawk" <hawk@spamex.com> wrote in message
>
>>When you travel, you will most likely need wireless capability to
>>connect to local networks. I have seen some hotels that have ethernet
>>connections, but most offer wireless internet access. My wireless PC
>>card has software that scans for local signals and allows me to "join"
>>any network that it finds. That is all I have ever had to do to access
>>the internet in places that offer internet connections for their
>>guests/customers.
>

> Alternatly, if you're truly 'on the road' and at a place that doesn't
> offer networks for their guests, you can get a cellular PC card for you
> laptop from many cellular providers. It's not the fastest way to connect,
> but it's enough to do e-mail and instant messaging. Check out
> http://tinyurl.com/2lyrm to see Sprint's selection. There are other, and
> some networks even allow you to hook your cell phone directly to your laptop
> to access their data networks.
>
> Aaron

April 13, 2004 6:37:45 PM

hawk <hawk@spamex.com> wrote in message news:<107o8dli464qdaf@corp.supernews.com>...
> Many laptops come with built in wireless LAN and/or ethernet
> capability. If yours doesn't have built in wireless, you can get a
> PCMCIA card that has a wireless adapter. Most have a built in antenna,
> some have a small external antenna. I have one that has a small
> external antenna that either attaches directly to the PC card or can
> attach with an extension that allows mounting up to 18 inches up and
> away from the laptop. You should be able to get a wireless adapter for
> your laptop for around $60. Zoom Telephonics and D-Link are two that I
> have and both work very well.
> If your home DSL is connected to a wireless router, that will be all
> you need to connect your laptop to the internet. If you don't have a
> wireless router, you would need an ethernet connection on your laptop.
> There are several ways to share an internet connection and set up a
> small home network. A wireless router would cost about $70 or a lot
> less if you settled for one of the "11b" versions.
>
> When you travel, you will most likely need wireless capability to
> connect to local networks. I have seen some hotels that have ethernet
> connections, but most offer wireless internet access. My wireless PC
> card has software that scans for local signals and allows me to "join"
> any network that it finds. That is all I have ever had to do to access
> the internet in places that offer internet connections for their
> guests/customers.
>
> Regards, hawk

Ok I'm thinking of buying this laptop

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us...

Now i'm thinking of buying the router for my home DSL... I want it
wireless so is the one that Dell offers good?

and when Iam on the road I will need a Wireless Networking Card that
plugs into a PMCIA slot right? Does the laptop that I gave you a link
too have a PMCIA slot? If this is all right which card do you
recommend to get?
April 13, 2004 9:23:26 PM

Well, the b,g wireless PC card should be OK. Yes, the Dell should have
the PCMCIA slot that you need. (Call Dell to be sure.) That should get
you 99+% of all networks available. The lowest cost router will
probably be OK, but I think you could get a D-Link for a little less
cost. But, by getting everything from Dell, you probably get less
hassle if something goes wrong. (Should be no finger pointing.) And as
a suggestion, with a router you shouldn't need Internet Security
software. Get the Norton Anti Virus, and be sure to set it up to scan
incoming E-Mail and downloads. I think the Dell you have picked will
meet your stated needs just fine.

Good luck, hawk

Paul wrote:

> hawk <hawk@spamex.com> wrote in message news:<107o8dli464qdaf@corp.supernews.com>...
>
>>Many laptops come with built in wireless LAN and/or ethernet
>>capability. If yours doesn't have built in wireless, you can get a
>>PCMCIA card that has a wireless adapter. Most have a built in antenna,
>>some have a small external antenna. I have one that has a small
>>external antenna that either attaches directly to the PC card or can
>>attach with an extension that allows mounting up to 18 inches up and
>>away from the laptop. You should be able to get a wireless adapter for
>>your laptop for around $60. Zoom Telephonics and D-Link are two that I
>>have and both work very well.
>>If your home DSL is connected to a wireless router, that will be all
>>you need to connect your laptop to the internet. If you don't have a
>>wireless router, you would need an ethernet connection on your laptop.
>>There are several ways to share an internet connection and set up a
>>small home network. A wireless router would cost about $70 or a lot
>>less if you settled for one of the "11b" versions.
>>
>>When you travel, you will most likely need wireless capability to
>>connect to local networks. I have seen some hotels that have ethernet
>>connections, but most offer wireless internet access. My wireless PC
>>card has software that scans for local signals and allows me to "join"
>>any network that it finds. That is all I have ever had to do to access
>>the internet in places that offer internet connections for their
>>guests/customers.
>>
>>Regards, hawk
>

> Ok I'm thinking of buying this laptop
>
> http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us...
>
> Now i'm thinking of buying the router for my home DSL... I want it
> wireless so is the one that Dell offers good?
>
> and when Iam on the road I will need a Wireless Networking Card that
> plugs into a PMCIA slot right? Does the laptop that I gave you a link
> too have a PMCIA slot? If this is all right which card do you
> recommend to get?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 13, 2004 10:34:26 PM

"Paul" <Xmafia88@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I'm going to buy a new notebook soon but I dont know how the internet
> woks with laptops. At home I have DSL so I'm guessing I can use that
> to get online but I dont know what I need. Also when I'm on the road
> what will I have to buy so I can get wireless internet acess. The most
> I can spend at this will probably be $100 so what is the best I can
> get for that?

Ok, first you don't describe how you get DSL at home. Do you have a
network? Is it a wireless one? Alot of laptops now-a-days come with
wireless networking built in along with a ethernet port. If you have a
network at home then all you need is an ethernet cable, or if you have a
wireless network you only need to follow the set up directions to connect.

If you directly plug in your home desktop to the DSL modem via an ethernet
port, then you need a NAT/switch or wireless access point/switch. If all
you have is $100, you can get a wireless access pointunit along with a USB
wireless at Fry's or Outpost.com. (I have seen some as low as $29 after
rebate there.)

As to on the road. Usually your ISP provider has dial up lines available in
major Cities. If you want to be wireless while on the road, then you need
to either plan to look for wireless hot spots, or go to a full service like
Verizon that offers a Cellular based wireless connection. They cost you
around $80 per month for unlimited access. The speed is only around 100K
though, but is alright for most things you do on the Internet. You can get
a bit of a speed boost with some of the proxy services that offer "DSL"
speed in dial up. I usually get between a 120K to 200K boost (120K through
put vs. 100K normal through put), but sometimes it doesn't do anything. I
use Proxyconn. It only costs an additional $2 per month.
April 14, 2004 12:03:28 AM

> Ok I'm thinking of buying this laptop

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us...

> Now i'm thinking of buying the router for my home DSL... I want it
> wireless so is the one that Dell offers good?
>
> and when Iam on the road I will need a Wireless Networking Card that
> plugs into a PMCIA slot right? Does the laptop that I gave you a link
> too have a PMCIA slot? If this is all right which card do you
> recommend to get?

1) Save your cash and get an IBM. You won't regret it.

2) For any parts, www.newegg.com is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
http://tinyurl.com/33qbu is a router/Wireless Access Point (WAP). I've had
one for over a year, and never had a problem with it.
http://tinyurl.com/yvgj6 is a PC card that I've been using in my laptops for
the same amount of time, and again, I've never had a problem with it. Yes,
the are both 802.11b, and with WEP (wireless encryption protocol), you'll
only get about 1.2mbits. This is, however, pretty much the limit of current
internet connections, so you wouldn't notice a difference while surfing.
And if you need to transfer large files between your desktop and your
laptop, just hook the laptop up to one of the routers CAT5 ports. :)
Things to be aware of: if you plan on using something that requires a
constant internet connection (i.e. instant messengers), you'll need to
change the power managment settings for your wireless card so that it's
never turned off. Pick something odd for your WEP key, so that someone
can't break through it by just knowing about a few of your favorite things.
Also, get a firewall if you haven't already. http://tinyurl.com/iwhb is a
link to download the free version of ZoneAlarm. Yes, the router has a
firewall built it, but it only blocks incoming connections. ZoneAlarm will
allow you to restrict internet access to certain programs, and allow you to
deny it to things like spyware and Trojan horses.

Aaron
April 14, 2004 3:16:55 AM

> 1) Save your cash and get an IBM. You won't regret it.
>
> 2) For any parts, www.newegg.com is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
> http://tinyurl.com/33qbu is a router/Wireless Access Point (WAP). I've had
> one for over a year, and never had a problem with it.

I have bought from newegg before and I agree with you they are simply
the best. Iam probably going to buy the WAP you suggested so thanks.

> http://tinyurl.com/yvgj6 is a PC card that I've been using in my laptops for
> the same amount of time, and again, I've never had a problem with it. Yes,
> the are both 802.11b, and with WEP (wireless encryption protocol), you'll
> only get about 1.2mbits. This is, however, pretty much the limit of current
> internet connections, so you wouldn't notice a difference while surfing.

Yea my DSL connection is 1.5mbits and I probablly wont be doing much
downloading on my laptop.

> And if you need to transfer large files between your desktop and your
> laptop, just hook the laptop up to one of the routers CAT5 ports. :)

thanks for the tip I'll keep that in mind.

> Things to be aware of: if you plan on using something that requires a
> constant internet connection (i.e. instant messengers), you'll need to
> change the power managment settings for your wireless card so that it's
> never turned off. Pick something odd for your WEP key, so that someone
> can't break through it by just knowing about a few of your favorite things.
> Also, get a firewall if you haven't already. http://tinyurl.com/iwhb is a
> link to download the free version of ZoneAlarm. Yes, the router has a
> firewall built it, but it only blocks incoming connections. ZoneAlarm will
> allow you to restrict internet access to certain programs, and allow you to
> deny it to things like spyware and Trojan horses.
>
> Aaron

I'm usually on FreeBSD and Slackware Linux and I'm pretty sure I
configured iptables and all those other goodies like tcpwrappers :) ...
thanks for the advice man.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 14, 2004 3:57:24 AM

I would check on a data cable first, before a cellular PC card: much less
expensive (~ $10 on eBay), and you will not incur additional monthly charges
that will likely come with these cellular cards. I use a data cable with my
Sprint PCS phone and it is fast enough (about ISDN speed) for e-mail and
Internet access on the fly.
April 14, 2004 3:57:25 AM

"Guy Quinn" <orgnlgq@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I would check on a data cable first, before a cellular PC card: much less
> expensive (~ $10 on eBay), and you will not incur additional monthly
charges
> that will likely come with these cellular cards. I use a data cable with
my
> Sprint PCS phone and it is fast enough (about ISDN speed) for e-mail and
> Internet access on the fly.

Ahhhh, but Sprint is starting to cancel internet access when they catch
people using their phones for that without a data plan.

Aaron
April 14, 2004 3:57:26 AM

"Aaron" <none@ofyourbusiness.net.spam> wrote in message
> Ahhhh, but Sprint is starting to cancel internet access when they
catch
> people using their phones for that without a data plan.
>
> Aaron

BTW, yes, I had Sprint, yes, they dropped my data service and charged me
$10/MB. Without notification.

Aaron
!