My palit ati 4850 crashes often help please :(

Adam1

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
Hi, yesterday i got a palit ati 4850 (not the sonic just normal), but it seems when something loads in a game or i move somewhere else...which is basically every 10 - 20 minutes the card crashes and my monitor turns off so i have to reboot my pc, i have a g31M-GS motherboard, 500 w power supply made by ez cool (think its this one http://www.dclstore.co.uk/desc-ezcool-500w-ezcool-psu-24pin-ps-10-500w-pid-1548.aspx). I used the drivers from the disc that came with the graphics card since i wanted to make sure everything would run ok, im currently experiencing these graphics card crashes on games from world of warcraft to 2009 demos, where i could run some of these things with my on board graphics so im pretty sure its not the cpu (p4 3.4 ghz) and although the cpu is quite old im never trying to run the games at full settings anyway...usually medium so cpu should be fine, i've changed the board to take pci-e graphics in bios, and to power the card im also using a 6 pin power connector in the card (2 x 4 pin with the adapter that came with it) ive tried both 4 pins off the same wire to power it, and also off seperate wires (theres only 2 with 2 on). Also i haven't seen the card go over 81 degrees while playing games and it doesnt seem to go under 60 either. So i don't really know what to do :( i saved a while for the card can anyone help? :sweat:

howardp6

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
Does the PC reboot by itself or do you have to manually reboot? If it re-boot by it self the CPU can be overheating. The reference and the Palit 4850 dumps heat into the computer case since it is not a two slot design, so your CPU and chipset will run hotter. The CPU will be not be bottlenecked by the on board graphics card so it will run hotter also. Use the latest driver from AIT and you can set the graphics card fan to run faster. Try the lowest setting on the games. What PC case do you have? The G31M-GS is a micro-ATX boards and if have it in a small case the system itself maybe overheating. You may have to upgrade the case fans. Can you tell us the board temperatures? The P4 CPUs ran hot. Can you tell us the CPU temperatures?

@ Adam1: To help the card: Open the Catalyst Control Center (CCC), go to the Overdrive section and click on the padlock icon on the top left to unlock the feature then set the fan manually to a higher percentage (50-60% at least) and click Apply to set it.
Download and install Speedfan to check the CPU temperatures. Anything over 50C at idle is a concern and probably means the fan/cooler is partially blocked with dust, use a soft toothbrush to clean it GENTLY and do not use a vacuum cleaner, just blow the dust out.
But I fear the powersupply is just not able to feed the new card.

Adam1

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
Thanks for the replys :) my motherboard temperature is 33 C, cpu is 40 C, aux 47C, seagate 30 C, graphics card is 56 C, these temperatures dont change more than 20 (card hits about 79) when im playing games. My pc case is a packardbell its just average size i have a huge fan on cpu and also the graphics card fan. I have to reboot the computer myself it doesn't boot automatically. So do you guys think it might be the psu or the drivers, or maybe something else?

Adam1

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
hmm the card is 69C now and im watching stuff on youtube is there something wrong there you think?

Adam1

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
Hi i listed the information on the side of the PSU as best i could hope this makes sense to someone lol :)

color orange red white yellow blue purple green black gray
dc +3.3VDC +5VDC -5V +12VDC -12VDC +5VSB PS- ON COM POK
MAX.OUTPUT 30 A 32 A 0.5A 36A 0.8A 3.0A REMOTE RETURN PG

It should have 36A on the 12v line, which should be plenty.
First off: Try to boost the fan speed, the temperatures are within reason but it will not hurt to drop them either.
I 'm guessing the PSU has two large bundles of wires with connectors on it, for the drives and accessories, if so use one for the card and the other for your drives, also recheck the connectors, I know, but it's sooo easily done not to seat one fully.

mcnuggetofdeath

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008

Calling Shenanigans. My 4850 with a huge Zalman Heatsink idles at 36*C but still hits 61*C under full load. Admittedly mine is at 715MHz core / 2.3GHz mem. But still. no ones GPU only hits 41*C. Forgive the bluntness if im mistaken, but i cant imagine normal circumstances where that would happen.

As to the posters issues, get a new PSU. The above solutions are probably sound as Tomshardware is fanatical about having dedicated 12v rails for GPUs

Adam1

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
I just tried reputting the card in and making sure its pressed right down and repluged all the power connectors tried different ones etc, what should i do now? Buy a new psu or try get new drivers?

Adam1

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
hey :) its 54C the cpu when i put high settings in a game, tried with side of case off didnt make a difference.

Well, 54C under load is not bad so I doubt it's that.
OK, I give up: Try a new PSU.
BUT, if you can, source it locally, with a little luck they'll let you buy it 'on approval' so if it works you keep it, if not you return it and they refund you. Sounds a little daft, but with the World economy in such a mess you're quite likely to find a supplier who is willing to be helpful;)
Time to get the 'phone book out.

Never spend money unless you hve to!
By all means try other drivers.
Remember to always uninstall the old ones before installing new.
Always set a Restore Point before you start to mess with drivers and do not delete old folders until you are sure they are not needed.
I would advise you download Driver Cleaner or Driver Sweeper and run it in Safe Mode after each uninstall to clear out any residual garbage (and there will be) left behind by the uninstall.
Always check every item they delete and deselect any that seem wrong, both can remove registry entries or system files.
And set a Restore Point!
GL.