Sign in with
Your question

2 seperate RAID disks on MOBO and PCI-E

Last response: in Storage
February 10, 2011 12:11:39 PM

Hello,
I have ASUS P5k-E mobo which has 6 sata ports out of wich I'm using 4 as Raid 0 and so total (2TB x 4 Disks)
Now I have PCI-express slots and I want to add another PCI-E to SATA card ...so that I can add another 2x 2Disks and run Raid 0
My Windows 7/64 are on a seperate disk
When I install this pci-e sata card the windows can't boot...and I don't see the other disks
Do I have to reinstall Windows.
February 10, 2011 4:29:11 PM

No, you need to change the boot order. Your BIOS is probably trying to boot from the PCI-e card instead of from your RAID 0 array.

As an aside, you DO realize that you are going to have up to 8 TB of at-risk data in your first array, and 4 TB at-risk in your second array, so that if any of the 4 (or either of the 2) disks fails, you lose EVERYTHING. Since 2001, I have seen 5 out of 21 (just under 25%) of the disks that I "manage" fail unrecoverably. Unless you have a backup mechanism in place and don't mind taking a while to re-load 8 TB of data, you appear to be taking a huge risk.

FWIW, Windows 7 appears to offer RAID 5 in software, just like Windows Server has for years. You might consider that as a safer, easier-to-manage alternative? I am not sure, but you might even be able to apply it across all 6 disks, so that your total capacity would be (6 - 1) * 2 TB = 10 TB. Giving up 2 TB for the sake of redundancy seems like a small price to pay. If a drive fails, just get and install a replacement, and you're up-and-running again. Yes there is reduced performance during the rebuild, but that's better than having to re-load everything from a backup (or from DVDs etc. if that's what you're doing).
February 17, 2011 7:51:26 PM

TeraMedia said:
No, you need to change the boot order. Your BIOS is probably trying to boot from the PCI-e card instead of from your RAID 0 array.

As an aside, you DO realize that you are going to have up to 8 TB of at-risk data in your first array, and 4 TB at-risk in your second array, so that if any of the 4 (or either of the 2) disks fails, you lose EVERYTHING. Since 2001, I have seen 5 out of 21 (just under 25%) of the disks that I "manage" fail unrecoverably. Unless you have a backup mechanism in place and don't mind taking a while to re-load 8 TB of data, you appear to be taking a huge risk.

FWIW, Windows 7 appears to offer RAID 5 in software, just like Windows Server has for years. You might consider that as a safer, easier-to-manage alternative? I am not sure, but you might even be able to apply it across all 6 disks, so that your total capacity would be (6 - 1) * 2 TB = 10 TB. Giving up 2 TB for the sake of redundancy seems like a small price to pay. If a drive fails, just get and install a replacement, and you're up-and-running again. Yes there is reduced performance during the rebuild, but that's better than having to re-load everything from a backup (or from DVDs etc. if that's what you're doing).

Thanks a lot for the reply very much appreciated, I do understand Raid 0 is lot of risk I do backup my data on seperate drives before I do anything ....I have an External (esata/USB3) 6 TB on Raid 5, This is a mediasonic 4 bay enclosure a bit slow just 100MB/Sec ,but okay for now
I have total 6 + 2esata ports ( 1st- C Drive/ 2-5 Raid 0/ 6th for BD Burner )
Now I use my2 esata to play around and transfer data in and out..... a bit of hasstle ...Now This mobo won't let me add any other PCIe card , if I could add a few sata ports no Raid just a port multiplier. I tried a couple from LIAN LI/ Vantek... but then I loose my 6 sata ports on the mobo Window will only load if sata is set as IDE I get a message Not enough PCI memory ...If I configure sata as Raid. I have reinstalled windows 8-10 times I even remember the key now LOL.

as far as the boot order goes how can I set the bios to read from the 6 internal sata drives insted of PCI there seems no option in Bios ( or may be I missed...the hard drive selection menu)
Please let me know if I can provide any info ..I'm not a tech guy but I do love to dig deep ...
Thanks a lot for your efforts.

Related resources
a b G Storage
February 23, 2011 8:32:22 PM

aqorps

Do you realize each of SATA port you can connect to five HDD (3TB supported), so eight eSATA/SATA ports in the MB, you can have up 40HDD or 120TB of space?
February 23, 2011 10:02:59 PM

No I don't realize.... it would be great if you could explain a bit more
very much appreciated

I have finally found that this mobo won't let me add another sata controller so I gave up the idea of a pcie card ....yeh if I can add 5 hdds on each that would be nice

but thanks for your efforts.
February 23, 2011 10:03:00 PM

Ooops double reply
a b G Storage
April 1, 2011 5:15:36 PM

What transfer rate are you get out of your RAID0?
a b G Storage
April 1, 2011 5:56:21 PM

aqorps said:
No I don't realize.... it would be great if you could explain a bit more
very much appreciated

I have finally found that this mobo won't let me add another sata controller so I gave up the idea of a pcie card ....yeh if I can add 5 hdds on each that would be nice

but thanks for your efforts.

There are a SATA hardware raid controllers offer no tax on you system resource and drivers-less

All it needs a SATA port

Fancy LCD readout raid controller SPM394 which I use in my client 40TB Media Server, where the Mobo has 6x SATA ports

Of course you can use the less fancy five drives raid controller SPM393 - mount this with PCI bracket

Any of this controller will give you over 215MB/s, once connect to AHCI SATA port, I use this to compress my video M2TS to MKV in batch mode

If you use these controllers, set up the email notification feature. It will email you if any read/write error occurs, sort of head-up if the HDD just about to die, save lot of headache

Hope you can find this helpful
April 2, 2011 11:02:47 AM

FireWire2 said:
There are a SATA hardware raid controllers offer no tax on you system resource and drivers-less

All it needs a SATA port

Fancy LCD readout raid controller SPM394 which I use in my client 40TB Media Server, where the Mobo has 6x SATA ports

Of course you can use the less fancy five drives raid controller SPM393 - mount this with PCI bracket

Any of this controller will give you over 215MB/s, once connect to AHCI SATA port, I use this to compress my video M2TS to MKV in batch mode

If you use these controllers, set up the email notification feature. It will email you if any read/write error occurs, sort of head-up if the HDD just about to die, save lot of headache

Thanks Firewir2 Looks very promising I guess I'll give it a try...I have my intel Raid 0 8TB for now writing 450Mb/sec when I capture Raw HD(1920X1080), I appreciate your links,
April 2, 2011 11:02:47 AM

FireWire2 said:

All it needs a SATA port

Thanks Firewir2 Looks very promising I guess I'll give it a try...I have my intel Raid 0 8TB for now writing 450Mb/sec when I capture Raw HD(1920X1080), I appreciate your links,
!