Question on SSD and Raid.

Tags:
  • NAS / RAID
  • SSD
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
February 10, 2011 1:43:16 PM

Hi guys

I recently got more than expected in a tax return and decided to add a couple SSD's in raid 0 on my new build. I was planning on getting a couple 64Gb or, maybe 128Gb if i wait for the new ones. I plan on using these for the OS (win 7) Along with my apps. I plan on using a 1 TB Sata 6Gb drive for music and video and my existing 1TB USB 2.0 Xternal for any possible run over. I have no idea if this is a smart set-up for my needs or how to go about setting this up on install. I will be using my computer for gaming mostly. Will whatever connection I need come with the MoBo or will I need an extra card? Will the difference in Sata II and III be worth the investment?

Thanks in advance.

More about : question ssd raid

a b G Storage
February 10, 2011 2:58:18 PM

128GB SSD for boot and 1TB for apps/data could be really nice. I wouldn't mess with raid - just more complexity and it probably won't do that much for you.

Connections will be on motherboard, usually 4-6 internal SATA connectors. Probably the SSD will sometimes benefit from 6Gb/s sata, but the traditional HDD won't. There shouldn't be a huge price difference anymore for the latest sata, I would guess.
m
l
a c 143 G Storage
February 10, 2011 3:45:26 PM

^+1...

If you are purchasing a new motherboard, there is NO REASON not to get a SATA III port on your board. A SSD will benefit from running on a SATA III when it is a SATA III device. The newer Gen3 models are expected to be released later this month and early talk has show read speeds in the 400 MB/s plus range.. IMPRESSIVE!!
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 415 G Storage
February 10, 2011 4:08:27 PM

I agree, no point in RAIDing an SSD. For the same line of SSDs using the same controller, a drive with more memory (128GB compared to 64GB, for example) effectively organizes its internal storage as RAID anyway. And RAID will prevent TRIM commands from keeping the drive optimized as best as it can be.
February 10, 2011 7:11:45 PM

Thanks for the advice. I am trying to force myself to wait on the SB or Bulldozer anyway, so I guess I will just wait and get a larger Sata III drive instead of using raid.
m
l
!