SeaGate - how to delete SMART history

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarinJV

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Hello, SUBJECT = Hard drive 2.5 - Seagate OEM for HP Compaq NoteBook. The drive has been exchanged in HP noteBook for a new one........The warranty is not covered by SeaGate (an OEM product for HP), neither HP because there is only HDD Serial Number and not the Product (NoteBook) serial number. The "failed" drive tested Seagate SeaTools Windows 1204 AND SeaTools DOS V2.20 - drive is OK. Before any test start SeaTools says the drive is "Smart Tripped", gives Warranty validation Code, other words - the drive has so many errors recorded by SMART and has to be exchanged.........Conclusion is - the "dead" drive had bad cables, contacts and/or drivers and/or bad power supply etc. at the original NoteBook use (24 hours 8 minutes all together). Now cleaned and put to "healthy" environment - the drive is 100% OK. Full erase many different applications (not only SeaTools as "official")is done + formatting both FAT32 and NTFS....Only there is "trash" at SMART I can not delete............Any suggestions?....HDD is SeaGate Hard Disk Model ID,ST96812A FW 3.05 NOT in warranty (age time).....MartinJV Europe 2011 02 10 written

COLGeek

Cybernaut
While I can't be sure this will work. Consider this application:

HDDScan (http://hddguru.com/software/2006.01.22-HDDScan/)

You may also see if there is a firmware update available for your HDD. Installing it MAY reset all information in the SMART data.

Good luck!

COLGeek

Cybernaut

I see your point, if this is being sold as a "new" item (which it should not be under any circumstance).

If it is for personal/test bench/etc use, then the analogy doesn't apply.

MarinJV

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Thank you for reply - HDDscan (at the moment V3.3 Win X86 appz) like Hard Disk Sentinel V3.40 and some others are nice utility

applications for internal and external (USB, FireWire...) HardDrives info = Nothing to work on or change - neither HardDisk

itself or partitioning...............FirmWare update (even backwards to lower version) MIGHT work. While the drive is "wiped" =

no OS of any kind + it is 2.5 IDE........The FW update is possible, as far as I know, WWW connection and FW update at OEM (HP

Dell Lenovo...). The drive itself I SUPPOSE it has to be "internal".............As this is a NoteBook drive, I have no

possibility to attach it as a second one to any working Nbook + OS (any Windows) as internal one.................I only have

experience of some (less then 10 all together) NoteBook HDD FW update this way (WWW conection and FirmWare

check)..........Otherways I believe some extra hardware/software from manufacturer is needed. If software only - I have not

found any last years - other words such software is NOT "public"...............Thx again - FirmWare up or DownGrade might work

- will check SeaGate Support..................MartinJV................PS - If anybody has a link / ANY info / tried - SeaGate

SeaTools V2.20 HAS "FDE Crypto Erase" funcion which is Blanked OUT in "public" download version!???

That's the problem...If the tool existed, there is nothing to prevent it's use for other than innocent purposes. :cry:

venkatesh_99

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
As told by salvation data recovery that smart tripes when bad sectors reaches a specifed level .If glist is full drive acesspeed decreases , so i need a method to access glist, so that i can clear it

hddlab

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
@MarinJV: you can clear SMART log very easy with N1 command in level 1. I guess you know about control HDD by TX-RX and I hope your HDD don't have damage in Glist and Application code.

Ugur23232323

Reputable
May 5, 2014
U can reset smart and glist by disk diagnostic interface. u can get cheap rs232 to usb and connect it to hdd jumper pins. then u can erase all smart data.
(Command = N1)

popatim

Titan
1: g-list has nothing to do with an sata connection issue; it monitors bad sector growth. To me this seems like you are trying to reset a crappy to appear as if it were good.

2: if the drive is 24hrs old then its still covered under HP's warranty and they will have the replacement documented in their logs. All HP replacement parts come with a 30day warranty even if the system only has 1 day of warranty left. This again is making it seem like you are out to scam someone.

Contact HP and get a new drive. I am closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.