htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
Hello there,

I have core i7 oc to 3.7. It is stable according to intel burn test and prime torture test. It performs very fast . Whenl i rip two dvds or blu rays at the same time, it lags big time. It does not crash, but it is responding very slowly. If i rip one at a time, it does not affect performance. I can not figure out the problem.

Is it Hard drive problem?
Is it controller problem?
Is it chipset problem?

Heat is not an issue. idle temp is around 45 to 50F. Can someone help me find the problem? My brief pc specs are as follows;

core i7 920
ex 58 ud4p
6gb of oc memory
1.5 tb seagate (sata)
LG blu ray drive (sata)
Sony DVD drive (sata)
ATI 4870 1 GB

dna708

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
As warmon6 said, writing data on the harddrive slows down reading times and therefore overall system smoothness. To confirm that it's the harddrive, just open up task manager and see the cpu usage while you're ripping

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
i think it is hard drive problem too. But, i used to be able to rip 2 discs at the same time with the same setup. cpu usage during ripping is between 4 and 12%.

is hd defective? or, is it motherboard controller?

I also have 1 tb seagate drive. if i hook up 1.5 and 1 tb drives together, the system locks up a lot. I already upgrade the hd firmware. 1.5 drive alone does not lock up but lags big time when ripping. Do i need to increase southbridge voltage?I do not know where to start.

Thanks.

Well i dont think increasing the SB volts will do much to gain HDD performance. ( i could be wrong).

This is hard to figure out.
1 thing i can think of that could be slowing it down is that maybe there other programs running that taking the hard drive time. resulting in lagging.

Another could be the hard drive could be waring down.

Although i think it the first option. Just make sure that there nothing else running (including background programs.)

If that doesn't help then it can be the HDD is overloaded or as said maybe it's waring down.

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006

it has only one browser open while ripping. i think motherboard controller needs more voltage to keep up with the rest of the system since i am overclocking i7 to 3.7.

i run a hd test, and it comes out clean. i hate loading os again to another drive to test it is hd bottleneck. at least i have to buy another drive. I already have 1.5 tb and 1 tb drive.

I want to give more juice to south bridge before i go to that route. what settings should i play with in bios. Do you know?

Thanks.