Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cooler Master Hyper 212+ vs Artic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2

Last response: in Overclocking
May 2, 2011 2:17:26 AM

For cooling a i5 2500K on an ASUS P8P67 Rev 3 mobo would there be much difference between the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus vs the older Artic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro Rec.2 for so called "ordinary" computing, business and financial computing and surfing the net etc?

I already bought the Artic Cooler Freezer Pro from the egg when it was on sale and haven't used it or even opened the box yet. I don't know if I can return it since it's been a while since I got it. The Cooler Master is only a couple of bucks more but seems to get great reviews.

Is the Artic Cooler Freezer good enough do you think?

Are there any late articles about the mystery of applying Artic Silver thermal paste of the BB dot vs line or multiple lines of thermal paste? Seem to be many opinion on the methods etc.

Thank you for any answers or input.
a b K Overclocking
May 2, 2011 2:54:55 AM

I have them both and there is no comparison.......... none at all
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 2, 2011 8:36:59 AM

212+ is a better cooler than the AC freezer... but for normal usage then the original intel fan is more than enough... if you have the artic cooler already then there is no harm in using that...

But remember one golden rule... you may have the best of cooler but if you rcase is stuffy then it doesnt matter... temps will be higher... i have installed i5 760 on a well ventilated case with just the original intel fan for normal operations and till now have heard no complaint about noise or cooling...
m
l
Related resources
May 2, 2011 2:31:58 PM

spentshells said:
I have them both and there is no comparison.......... none at all

Should I assume that you mean that the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ is the better of the two?

Thanks.
m
l
May 2, 2011 2:33:01 PM

abully said:
212+ is a better cooler than the AC freezer... but for normal usage then the original intel fan is more than enough... if you have the artic cooler already then there is no harm in using that...

But remember one golden rule... you may have the best of cooler but if you rcase is stuffy then it doesnt matter... temps will be higher... i have installed i5 760 on a well ventilated case with just the original intel fan for normal operations and till now have heard no complaint about noise or cooling...

Thanks for the reply abully.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 2, 2011 9:01:02 PM

garyhope said:
Should I assume that you mean that the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ is the better of the two?

Thanks.

YES.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 2, 2011 9:55:14 PM

Just in case your still not sure +1 the 212+ is a mile better.
m
l
May 3, 2011 1:52:45 AM

Thanks Davcon.

Well, since I'm here and you're here and we're talking heatsinks, etc.

Then how about a comparison and/or opinions between the CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ and the Thermalright Mux 120?

Are they still making the MUX?

Is the Mux worth the extra money over the CMH212+?

Thanks again for all of your expert knowledge and opinions.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2011 2:02:08 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
I'd use what you got .... and see how it does.....if ya have a problem, grab a new cooler. If you do, for another $5 ya can get another 7C performance increase over the 212 with the Scythe Mugen 2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I got my 212+ for $20 sure is hard to argue
m
l

Best solution

a c 183 K Overclocking
May 3, 2011 3:41:28 AM

garyhope said:
Thanks Davcon.

Well, since I'm here and you're here and we're talking heatsinks, etc.

Then how about a comparison and/or opinions between the CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ and the Thermalright Mux 120?

Are they still making the MUX?

Is the Mux worth the extra money over the CMH212+?

Thanks again for all of your expert knowledge and opinions.

I own both coolers and both are very good.
The 212+ is an excellent value price and performance wise.
You can often find it for $20 on sale where i live or $30 reg.
Alot of folks end up replacing the fan because it's sorta loud a tad over 30db.
It might not bother you.
Anything under 30db is considered quiet.
So it's at the threshold of what some might consider loud.
The 212+(37mm base clearance) works very well with Ripjaws/X (41mm tall both versions)
I usually only recommend the MUX-120(47mm base clearance) for people with tall ram kits .
If you have Corsair Dominators or Vengeance kits (52mm) and want to fill all your dimms,you won't have an issue.
I can only speak from experience on an 1156 platform for both coolers.
I suspect the 1155 would be similiar if not the same spacing wise since they share the same cooler mounting holes.
The MUX-120 comes with a 20db fan which is considered silent.
You can usually find the MUX for $45.
Either cooler would be good, choose whichever is right for you!
May 3, 2011 4:55:01 AM

Best answer selected by garyhope.
m
l
!