Mod the CM 212+

brentkhack

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
I won the $1000 System Build from Tom's Hardware and have a question about the problem they and now I have with the side case fan. It has a 220mm side fan that hit the copper ends of the CM 212+ so that fan was not used. So my question is, will it harm anything if I use a dremel to cut off the ends of those copper pipes to allow me to us the 220mm side fan? Thanks for any input.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6950-unlock-build-a-pc-overclock,2893-5.html

Solution
Yes your cooler will no longer be functional.
You'll render it useless.
The copper cooling pipes transfer heat from the cpu to the top(capillary cooling)through the heatsink fins.
The heat condenses(cools) and flows back down to the cpu again(loop)

liao24hoho

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
The newegg video review for this product said that you can not remove these ends,but I have no idea because my hyper 212+ is still in shipping.
BTW
lucky bastard,why did not I win....

Yes your cooler will no longer be functional.
You'll render it useless.
The copper cooling pipes transfer heat from the cpu to the top(capillary cooling)through the heatsink fins.
The heat condenses(cools) and flows back down to the cpu again(loop)

Solution
It's my statement and happens to be true!
I'm a certified HVAC technician and work on cooling and heating equipment.
I'm also an A+ pc tech.
Go cut the rad tubes on your car and see how far ya get.
Btw i would sacrifice a side fan for a cpu cooler anytime.

I am no expert but I know cutting the end off a heat pipe will stop it working as it should. I always thought of trying it and link the pipe to a watercooling setup therefore giving you water and air cooling in one, problem was I'm to lazy.

One word, condensation