To fix cd rom

Just go to your computer manufacturer's site and look for drivers/downloads or support. It helps if you supply at least computer make/model !

Your CD-Rom's exact make and model? hopefully I may be able to help you... Or otherwise type it in a search engine, and/or go to the manufacturer's website, find the downloads link, or support\downloads, then type the device cathegory, model name and number. Follow these instructions and you should find the right driver... unless it's no longer supported in the manufacturer's website, in that case search in drivers websites; at least one should have it.

Another solution I discovered time ago, when it comes to CD-Roms sometimes you can use drivers from other device models or even from other manufacturers, some makes get some of their models from other manufacturers anyway.

Still another solution is to uninstall the CD-Rom in the Device Manager (Start\Run\Devmgmt.msc) find the CD-Rom, right click on it, and select Uninstall.. accept and restart the computer... the Plug and Play Service should install it correctly with the most compatible driver available in the system.

If it still doesn't work, and if you're handy with a screw driver, you could try and open it up to expose the laser lens to clean it with a soft cotton rag and some alcohol. Most optical devices nowadays are relativerly easy to open and access the laser lens, those I have checked even seem to share the same design of casing so opening them is no problem. You can even lube the lens small rails very lightly and carefully with a well applied spec of vaseline. If the laser rail is slightly sticking, which should be expected if the device is old enough, it may not slide free enough to read the CD.. so lubbing it can help it slide and read again. I have done this on several optical devices when they didn't read anymore and after exausting all virtual possibilities. If you do this as last resort, be carefull no to touch the printed circuit board and previously touch an exterior or bathroom watter faucet for a few seconds to rid yourself of any electrostatic discharge.