NV9600gso slow at startup

Pointertovoid

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Hello everybody!

Got an nVidia 9600gso in my new config. More than enough for my needs: the fan stays at idle in Ski Challenge 2009.

Trouble: when I start the computer, the 9600gso takes more than 5s before giving control back to the mobo's Bios, and I dislike this delay. So:

- Is there something I can do (Suppress Ram testing?) maybe in the Coolbits to speed it up?

- Are all nVidia dX10 cards that slow at startup, or do you have quicker ones?

I'd like to stick at nVidia as they offer W2k drivers for their dX10 cards.

Thanks!

What you are saying is not possible.

Bootup times do not differ because of the type of graphics card involved. What you are describing sounds like you are doing an extended POST (Power On Self Test) which is mostly due to reading and writing of your System RAM (on your motherboard). Instead of a few checks it tests the entire RAM.

Your problem will be solved by turning off the extended POST in your BIOS.

Another thing:

Why are you not using Hibernation?

You should Hibernate your computer and not turn it off completely. You need to enable the Hibernation feature first if you don't see it. If it's enabled, you press SHIFT which changes STANDBY to HIBERNATE.

I changed many people's PC's so that the physical power button causes the computer to Hibernate so all they have to do is press it and walk away.

You can easily google or use Wikipedia to learn more.

Pointertovoid

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Thanks... I didn't write Wiki's article by myself, so I have a chance to learn something there, right.

My Bios is set on quick-Post of course.

And I completely unplug my PCs when not in use, to start always with a sound OS state, to save energy, and because my computer is safer against malwares if it's powered off when I'm not next to it.

So I'm NOT going into these hibernate/S2/S3/S4/anything stories vendors would like us to use. I do expect faster computers to boot more quickly, because programmers don't have to get more and more stupid as hardware advances.

I confirm that the video card holds the screen for over 5s before the mobo's Bios begins putting its own name on the screen, so I do believe the mobo's Bios does absolutely nothing meanwhile.

Other graphic cards put a few messages at startup, but they last so little that the screen is usually still black at that time and users don't see them. I wish the NV9600gso would do the same.

More suggestions?

Pointertovoid

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Solved it. I replaced the XFX GF9600GSO by a Gigabyte GF8600GT which takes 3s instead of nearly 10s before giving the control to the mobo's Bios.

Interestingly enough, the mobo's Bios then goes faster as well. From power on to launching Win, it takes ~8s now.