Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is this motherboard compatible with the RAM?

Last response: in Memory
November 27, 2009 2:32:14 PM

Hello all,
I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to RAM, so please bear with me for a little while.

I would like to upgrade my system. I have already checked out that most of the stuff is compatible, the only thing left is the RAM.

The motherboard I would like to purchase is the ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Motherboard. This, kind of obviously, means I am going with the Intel Core i7, I'm thinking the 920. The RAM I think would work with this build is the Kingston HyperX 240-Pin DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400) Desktop RAM.

The motherboard says this about its RAM compatibility:
Quote:
Number of Memory Slots --> 6×240pin
Memory Standard --> DDR3 2000 (O.C) / 1866 (O.C) / 1333
Maximum Memory Supported --> 24GB
Channel Supported --> Triple Channel

The RAM I would like to purchase is DDR3 1800. It confuses me whether this motherboard is compatible with RAM that fast only when overclocked or if it's not compatible at all.

I also selected this RAM because I saw that it remains stable from voltages of 1.7V up to 1.9V, and I figured that means that it could be overclocked further past the DDR3 1800 it is rated at.

So, is this RAM compatible with the selected motherboard? Can it be overclocked well? If not, what is some compatible RAM that I could overclock with this build?

Lastly, and this is just something I thought I saw mentioned elsewhere. Someone said that the Core i7 920 is only compatible with DDR3 1333, and I thought this was preposterous because DDR3 RAM can be made to much faster speeds. So, does the Core i7 limit the speed of the RAM I get? Is there any point to me getting faster RAM than 1333?

Thank you for any help that can be given, and I apologize if any of this makes little or no sense. As I said, RAM is not my strong suit.

Best solution

a c 163 } Memory
a c 302 V Motherboard
November 27, 2009 4:25:12 PM

Yes is conpatible, BUT you need configure the RAM manually in the BIOS, i mean, set the CL, the voltage, all the specifications manually in the BIOS.
November 28, 2009 1:37:50 PM

So, does that mean the RAM will function at the full advertised speed? And will I be able to overclock it?

Does the Core i7 920 limit the speed of the RAM at all?
m
l
a c 163 } Memory
a c 302 V Motherboard
November 28, 2009 8:00:59 PM

Yes the RAM will funtion at the full advertised speed, and you can overclock it. The CPU don't limit the speed of the RAM, ususally, the mobo is the problem.
m
l
!