WD2001FASS and WD2002FAEX Comparison

gx240

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I'm looking at two different Western Digital internal hard drives, WD2002FAEX and WD2001FASS.

As far as I can tell from the specifications pages, they're identical, except that the WD2002FAEX is 6 Gb/s SATA, and the WD2001FASS is 3 Gb/s SATA. But for some reason they're the same price everywhere I look. Here's the Newegg links for example:

WD2002FAEX

WD2001FASS

Why would they be the same price if one drive has a newer, faster connection than the other? Am I missing something?

The faster connection itself makes no difference to the performance of a hard drive because even the slower connection is much, much faster than the data coming off the platters. It's like a bicycle on a road - the cyclist isn't going to get there any faster whether the speed limit is 60km/H or 120km/H.

Since there's no performance benefit to the drive with the faster connection, there's no reason that you should expect to pay more for it.

D

Deleted member 217926

^ +1

Only SSDs make full use of SATA 3 and only a few of those benefit from SATA 6 . Mechanical drives just are not fast enough to come close to using SATA 3 much less SATA 6.