Status
Not open for further replies.

riskyfrisky247

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Firstly, my apologies for spamming the thread; i didn't realise you can't edit a post. Could someone delete the prior post to spare my blushes? Sorry!

Now, my current rig, which is a home build of just over one year, has the following error, which it blurts out four times in a row every few random days:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR2.
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1.

The hard drive is a brand new Seagate Barracuda 500Gb SATAII in the following system;
Windows 7 64bit
Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H (rev 1.0)
AMD PhenomII X3 720BE
4GB Geil DDR3
XFX Radeon 5850
Corsair HX520 PSU

The brand new Seagate drive is a replacement for another identical Seagate drive, which had the same error message issue. That drive completely died on me. At the moment i have no noticeable performance issues as far as i can tell, however, it was the same with the old Seagate drive to begin with.

After a while i'd boot her up and it would freeze at the desktop. The mouse could be moved but that's it. I'd have to force the machine to turn off then restart. Then one morning a few weeks back i turned her on and got a boot drive error, that's when i bought the new drive.

I've changed both the sata cable and the power cable (from the PSU to the drive because it's modular) but now i'm stumped. I've checked the voltages in BIOS which are;

Vcore: 1.376v
DDR3: 1.584v
+3.3v: 3.328v
+12v: 11.921v

Does that sound about right? I thought maybe the PSU was at fault but now i'm not so sure. I've ran SeaTools on the thing and all checks pass with flying colours.

I'd appreciate any help with this one. Cheers!

riskyfrisky247

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
I'm running the F8 version, which is actually not the latest version, however, i updated the BIOS to F8 hoping that would solve the issue and it didn't.

I'll update to the latest version and see what happens.

riskyfrisky247

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Okay, been running the latest BIOS (version F9b) for about 6 days now, and the errors have returned. I've got four of them as per usual in event viewer:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR2.

Any other ideas guys because i don't know what else to do; it is really getting frustrating now?!

riskyfrisky247

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Okay, i thought the HDD error issue was sorted; the machine has been running fine without any said errors for almost a month, but they have returned.

At this point i really don't know what to do about this, it is so frustrating.

Saint do you have any other tips i could try to solve this error issue, or anyone else that may be able to help, your input is most welcome.

Please help folks it is slowly driving me crazy.

riskyfrisky247

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Looking for some further help here.

I bought a brand new motherboard hoping that it would solve this problem once and for all, however, the error has returned.

On top of that, i now have a warning in event viewer, which doesn't sound too good:

wuaueng.dll (368) SUS20ClientDataStore: The database page read from the file "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb" at offset 98304 (0x0000000000018000) (database page 2 (0x2)) for 32768 (0x00008000) bytes failed verification. Bit 47369 was corrupted and has been corrected. This problem is likely due to faulty hardware and may continue. Transient failures such as these can be a precursor to a catastrophic failure in the storage subsystem containing this file. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem.

Does anybody know what the hell this means?

I'm at my wits end with this to be honest. The only thing i can think of now is that it's the PSU at fault. To that end i've requested a RMA from Corsair, but the PSU has to be shipped to Holland and i'll be without a 'decent' rig until i get it, or a replacement, back.

Is it worth doing anyway or do you think the PSU is fine and not the cause of the problem?

riskyfrisky247

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Just had a thought; is it possible that my old motherboard was the culprit and the HDD is now damaged, hence why i keep getting the error with the new board?

Just a thought, opinions are welcome.

riskyfrisky247

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Honestly i haven't got a clue what's up with the damn thing, but i'm running out of money to get spares to try!

I don't understand how dodgy RAM would give me a HDD error though? I'll run some tests on the memory and see what happens.

You have the patience of a saint, cheers for all your help thus far.

riskyfrisky247

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
I've ran memtest for just over 3 hours, with both sticks installed at the same time, and every test passed.

Any ideas what else i can do to try and troubleshoot this problem?

dwbrown

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011

Don't suppose these errors co-incide with plugging a certain USB Pen Drive or USB External HDD in do they ??

Status
Not open for further replies.