M2V-MX
PCI and PCI Express
DDR2 2560mb. Frequency 333.3mhz
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Core speed= 2000.0mhz
Power supply make and model= Ezcool 450watt atx-450 jsp
Below the +12VDCline is 25A
United Kingdom

I am looking to get a new graphics card as my computer jumps like hell when i play games. The one i have is integrated with the motherboard. I only play games such as Sims 2and 3 and the simulator games such as Bus driver, most of the 18 wheels of steel games and online ones such as pogo. I do not play games such as World of Warcraft or any such other game. Other than the fan on my CPU i do not have any other (fans), would it be worth getting a generic fan just to keep it cooler in there, i recently upgraded to 2gigs of ram, giving me 2.5, i used crucials website to locate what ram to have. I was at a computer fair over the weekend and i told a man what motherboard i had and straight away he showed me a 512mb graphics card, i cannot remember the make but it was a well-known make and it would have gone into my PCI express slot, it also has a TV out , it was around £30, he said it would improve it a lot, i was also told it would take the strain off of my RAM? My budget it only around £30 for each. Main uses for my computer (other than the games) are creating and editing various microsoft office documents, using photoshop and downloading/playing and transferring music, which can also be a drag. Before i formatted my computer and put in the new ram it would freeze with the simplest task, such as changing the save location for a document. I feel it does still freeze every now and then even with the new ram. Playing games is stressful when it judders along, it may, for about 2 seconds run more smoothly, but as i said, not for long.

I think that this is the one, or similar to what he showed me, would this one be suitable. Would i need a new power supply with a new, more powerful graphics card? http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-164-AS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=

darrenbilly

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
The ebuyer website says that in order for directx 10.1 to work i need vista, i am running xp, is this a problem. That card also allows for HD, to play hd, would i really need it as i do not have a hd screen or blueray/hd drive

Thanks

darrenbilly

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
That's great. As i said, i wasn't too sure of what one he showed me, so if, as long as it has similar spec to the one you suggested, it will work ok?

darrenbilly

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Thats's great, one last question, you say it will work on sims 2 and 3 but how about the other games I mentioned?

Thanks alot for your help!

Darren

darrenbilly

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Not allowed to edit previous;

someone said this in a review:
Bought this card for a silent Media Center on the understanding (based on pictures and reviews) that it was passively cooled - but the card delivered now has a fan on the heatsink.
Is this a problem? Heatsink not a fan? A fan will make more noise?

Quitoman

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
Note that no matter how much you upgrade, The Sims 3 will always be jumpy until they release a new patch.

I think you might want to upgrade your processor though, single core 3200 is pretty slow.

darrenbilly

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
I'm going with your one ct

I cannot afford a processor right now, but for when i can, could you give me a list of compatibles? Thanks for all your help ct1615

darrenbilly

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
oh its not that, just it was in an old computer, and why spend money on a new one when i had one, as it is not good enough, as soon as i get the money (tomorrow) i will be buying that one on ebuyer. Please bare in mind i am only a student!

Thanks again