Sign in with
Your question

DX11 and Physx

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 25, 2009 2:07:09 AM

Hey guys, anyone know if current DX10 cards will work as a dedicated Physx card with DX11 titles when they come out? thanks!

More about : dx11 physx

a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2009 2:18:50 AM

They do now on DX10. DX11 is simply a superset of DX10, and be compliant in all areas except sans hardware, like tesselation
June 25, 2009 3:08:15 AM

NVIDIA cards should, sure. I can't see why they'd drop support for that.
Related resources
June 25, 2009 3:10:47 AM

trkorecky said:
NVIDIA cards should, sure. I can't see why they'd drop support for that.

Because it's basically useless and is only a shallow marketing tool?
June 25, 2009 3:13:53 AM

The_Blood_Raven said:

So you're saying they'll go out of their way to remove the PhysX capability from the unified driver set? They may not continue fixing bugs or trying to increase performance, but I could imagine CUDA surviving well into the DX11 lifecycle.
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2009 3:18:48 AM

The_Blood_Raven said:

NVIDIA thrive on shallow marketing.
June 25, 2009 3:19:32 AM

I never said they would, but it would be nice...
June 25, 2009 3:22:02 AM

I'd prefer the old style control panel, though any way they can slim down the driver package would be nice.
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2009 3:54:42 AM

physx doesnt need shader extras, gpgpu , it helps.
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2009 4:38:00 AM

trkorecky said:
I'd prefer the old style control panel, though any way they can slim down the driver package would be nice.

Removing the countless language packs would be a start.
June 25, 2009 5:03:28 AM

I would love it if Nvidia cut down on their driver size. My current Nvidia drivers are 3.1 GB......That is bigger than most of my games!

@OP Umm, what jaydeejohn said :D 
June 25, 2009 12:38:17 PM

Physx is an open standerd now, ATI, Intel will have it built in for DX11. There was a press release somewhere.
June 25, 2009 1:13:10 PM

Its probably reasonable to assume that if ATI Stream is going to become a standard API, than Physx is likely to continue being supported as well; at least in the interim until its decided which solution is superior.
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2009 4:42:08 PM

PhysX has already been ported to the 360 (ATI GPU), PS3 (NVIDIA GPU) and Wii (??? GPU). Heck, when NVIDIA brought Agieia, they offered to give ATI the tools needed to get PhysX to work on their GPU's.
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2009 4:45:47 PM

And M$ made DX10.1 too
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2009 11:14:57 PM

nVidia will let you run PhyX, you just need to run CUDA first, and provide nV with all your architecture details, and most people don't want to do that.

It's not an Open Standard, and it's not like nV doesn't have its strings in their 'offers', just like it was free, then Free, then REALLY FREE.

Also Gamer, the PhysX being used on Xbox and Wii (which uses an ATi Hollywood GPU) are NOT GPU-accelerated, they are plain PhysX engine, just like the non-GPU-accel version of Havok.

To the OP, DX11 and PhysX are mutually exclusive in and of themselves, but both the compute shaders of DX11 and the options of OpenCL (and it's support by AMD, intel for Havoc, and S3 in principal) means PhysX's 'need' is greatly diminished, and people would prefer an unbiased standard, something akin to the DirectPhysics everyone wanted long ago during the intial GPU/PPU-physics discussions.

As to what both DX11 and PhysX means to future titles, no one knows yet except for those on pre-release software and hardware. Like everyone else, you'll just have to wait see what.... wicked this way comes. ;) 
!