deanm007

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
hi

Like many, I am having fan issues with the lousy amd stock cooler for the phenom II x4 955. Just playing music raises the wimpy fan speed to 4600 rpm... I am buying either a cooler master tx3 or a arctic freezer 7 pro rev.2 for my 880 ga-ud3h gigabyte mobo and they only mount north/south. I have no top vent in my case. But I have a power supply with a huge 140 mm fan that I suppose is exhausting air. So if my heatsink fan blows hot air to the top, will my psu fan exhaust the hot air?

by the way, i prefer these coolers because i don't want to remove the mobo for the third time...

thanks a lot in advance.

+1 the TX3 is the better cooler by quite a bit. The Arctic freezer is very slightly quieter than the TX and is still better than the stock cooler so if your not overclocking and your temps are OK and all you want is quiet then its OK but as I said the TX3 is by far the better cooler. Also you can remove the bracket on it and put it on the other way so it blows from front to back.

deanm007

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011

Wow, I didn't know that. I am going for the tx3.

Thanks to both of you. Both your answers are perfect so I won't select one as best.

p.s. there should be an option to select multiple answers as best...

Also, I might need help from you guys to install.

teflon2287

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
The Tx3 can be mounted front to rear on a GA-880GA-UD3H for sure, I have that cooler on that board.

But the improvement over the stock 125w AMD cooler was not a much as I had hoped....

deanm007

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011

Thanks for the reply. Glad to find someone who owns the same mobo.

You didn't notice any difference in the noise level? I am sick of hearing the fan sounding like a blow dryer. What speed is the fan spinning at?

My amd stock fan was spinning at 4600 rpm and above even when I am not playing games. Just opening up a browser triggered the fan to spin higher. On idle, it would spin at 2500 rpm. My OS is a windows xp pro 64 bit.

deanm007

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
teflon, you really got me to think hard about this. After much reading, i have come to the conclusion that the bigger the fan, the lower the rpm, and the lower the noise. Am I wrong?

Is there a cooler out there for am3 that has a 120 mm fan and does not require motherboard removal?

thanks

edgaraslt

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
what case do u have? It's possible,that 12cm fan won't fit there. Or if your case could have proper airflow tx3 would be enough.

Because my GF has 955 with stock fan fitted in antec two hundred . And while idling temps are the same as the ppl are having with cm 212+ and load temps are below 58 with cooler set to silent

deanm007

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011

I have this case:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?oe=UTF-8&gfns=1&q=logisys+ruby+red+case&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=14479425028598420134&sa=X&ei=NnLBTf6YOIS3tgfw_qWxBQ&ved=0CCQQ8wIwAQ#

edgaraslt

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
I suggest you adding fans to the front(intake), side(intake) and back (exhaust) to your case. The bigger is better. So 12cm fans would be the best desicion.

Then(IMHO) TX3 would be more than enough. Ofcourse if u aren't planning heavy OC.

edgaraslt

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
No. Read feedbacks from newegg:

"-no front fan capability"

"The rear fan is 80mm although can be upgraded to 120mm (if so, then you can move the stock fan to the side panel)."

Check side panel. If it's possible to put 12cm fan on the side(intake) and 12cm fan at the back(exhaust) I think it would be enough.

deanm007

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
hi, the side panel only takes 80 mm fan. Plus, the tx3 would take up the entire height up to the side vent. from the am3 socket to the side panel is about 6 inches. However, the side panel where the fan mounts is a clear plastic peice that can be screwed off and turned upside down. Then I can mount an 80 mm fan for intake near the bottom of the case. And i'll use a 120 mm fan for exhaust on the rear. Will this work?

edgaraslt

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
I didn't get what you have said about upside down fan, but if the side of the case is plastic, you could try to screw 12cm fan. :D

I'm also wondered about tx3,bout I've went with scythe katana 3 for my 955

deanm007

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Ok I installed the cooler master tx3 on the amd phenom II x4 955 be. Here are the pros and cons

pros:

Fan is very quiet spins under 1500 rpm.

Very Easy to install. Just make sure that the clip side of the bracket is straight before you clip it on. If the clip side bracket is even slightly slanted, it will not clip on and it will break if you force it. It should clip on very easy and there is no need to force it as you would force the amd stock cooler.

No mobo removal necessary.

Heatsinsk/fan can be placed facing in any direction. Just run the brackets thru the copper pipes for front to back installation on a gigabyte 880ga-ud3h mobo. The slots are there to hold the brackets in place.

cons:

heatsink does not cover entire chip. I can see parts of the cpu with the thermal paste rubbed on. I guess this is fine. Any opinions on this? However, the 3 copper pipes do touch the cpu.

No improvement at all in temps. Idle is at 37c, load at 45c. But i don't care about this as I am not overclocking. I think the reason for this is because the heatsink is not tightly screwed on the cpu, it only clips on. Then again, I knew that beforehand. My goal was to NOT remove mobo.

I bought a second fan for this for the push pull effect and its basically useless because it does not lower the cpu temp. It just decreases the pwm fan speed and both fans run around 900 rpm vs 1200-1500 rpm on single fan. I don't see much benefit there so I used this additional fan as a case intake fan.

If I could remove the mobo, I would definately go with a cooler with a backplate like the cooler master hyper 212. But for moderate gaming and media, this is fine for me. Most important is that it is whisper quiet.

deanm007

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011

Hi

yea, I know about prime 95. I don't want to stress out my cpu for no reason. When I say load I mean the applications that i will be running simultaneously. For example, I ran sonic sega all stars racing game, windows media player, real player, burned an mp3 cd, opened up 20 browsers with youtube videos and got 45c. How did that scythe katana work out for you? Did it lower temps?

deanm007

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Thats true, we can't compare our load temps. But what was your idle temp? How did you spread the thermal paste? I spread a thin layer of the paste that came with the cooler. I was expecting much lower idle temps but it didn't even improve by a degree. Also, what is your operating system?

thanks.

TRENDING THREADS