Sign in with
Your question

Buying a new video card, need help :(

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 25, 2009 3:43:09 AM

*Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section. First time here.*
**Also I am pretty much a noob when it comes to computers so I may not understand some of the lingo and whatnot **

Alright I know pretty much nothing about video cards or computers in general, but I am buying a new video card and I need some help/suggestions. I don't have the specs for my comp. right now because I am on vacation but I know the general ***; HP w/ Quad core processor and 4 gigs of ram.

I am looking to get the best bang for my buck. Looking to spend $150-200 at most.

I really don't play any games that require a crazy video card or anything (L4D and TF2), but I might get the new Wolfenstein and play that competitively so yeah.

The card suggested by a few friends is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... or if you're too lazy to look; EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail.

This seems like a pretty good deal. $175 after rebates, free CoD: WaW, lifetime warranty, etc.

Anyone else wanna help me? I just need some suggestions for what the best bang for my buck would be. Would be awesome if card was around $130~ so I could also get a new monitor, but yeah like I said..up to $200ish

Thanks.

More about : buying video card

a c 235 U Graphics card
June 25, 2009 3:50:23 AM

phantom, before we recommend you a card we would need to know
1) what power supply you have
2) what size monitor you have and the resolution you play at

that linked card is very nice and an excellent card for the price but can your power supply handle it and can it handle your size monitor? hence the questions.
June 25, 2009 3:54:41 AM

Yeah haha, sadly I'm on vacation and I don't have the specs for my system. I know I use a 19 inch CRT (laugh all you want haha) and I honestly do not know what resolution I play at, which I know is very sad. If I get an extension on my unemployment (lawl), I will be getting this monitor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Related resources
a c 235 U Graphics card
June 25, 2009 4:39:50 AM

well that card will be more enough for that CRT or LCD. You would need to check your PSU once you got back home.
June 25, 2009 4:59:18 AM

Yeah. I noticed that the requirements for the PSU is "Minimum of a 500 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 36 Amp Amps.)
Two available 6-pin Molex hard drive power dongles"

So I'll need to somehow figure out if I have that...I might need someone's help :(  lawl
!