CPU: q6600 G0 /w vendetta 2
Motherboard: Gigabyte ep45-ud3p
Ram: Corsair Dominator 8500 (2x2 gigs)
Hard drive: Sea-gate 640gig sata2
3d Card Sapphire 4870 1gig
CD-ROM: I.D.E lg 16x DVD burner
Case Slightly modded Antec 900
Power Supply: corsair 750w TX

My computer is lagging slightly (taking too long to do things sometimes) on booting (not always) just as it enters windows 7. It was having similar problems under windows XP 64 so I switched to windows 7. It also stutters when I'm typing sometimes (I'll type a word and there will be a delay and stuttered output of letters).

Some games are fine like crysis for example, but fallout 3 I'll lose like 60 frames here and there, not so bad that I can't play the game but it is annoying.
Grand theft auto IV on the other hand stutters so bad I can't play the game at all hanging for 1-5 seconds ONLY when moving. The frame rates for any of these games are fine, I'm getting about 25fps in crysis on very high 1600x1200 with aa. Lots with fallout3 like 58 . fps in grand theft auto IV is about 29 on high/very high and everything else up til I run out of memory.

I've tried formatting my computer different drivers, overclocking my cpu and 3d card, every possible safe ram setting in the bios, different voltages, unplugging the ide Cd drive, and bought a new power supply.
I've run prime 95 for 30 hours and then ran blend for another 12 overclocked to 3.6 and for a fair amount at 2.4 and 12 hours at 3.4. I don't think it could be the CPU, it isn't getting hot staying below 60 in the summer at 3.4 under full load for 12 hours. It doesn't seem to matter whether I am running overclocked or at stock I get the same problems. No blue screens, no crashes nothing. Just the stuttering. I've also run memtest for 4 hours or so.
I've run out of things I can try.
This comp has been running like this out of the box so to speak.

I don't have any viruses or malware that I know of and am running: windows defender, spybot, malware bytes, Adaware, Comodo Firewall and Avira antivirus. These problems have followed me through multiple, format and re-installs of windows 7, windows xp64 and 32bit and windows 7000 and windows 7100 RC.

I am out of ideas anyone know anything else I can try?

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
All the GTA games have been poorly-written console ports, so I'm not surprised this one is a slug too; on past experience you'll need a 5GHz 16-core CPU with a 2TB video card before it will run well.

Sauroth

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
The frame rate is fine it stutters like crazy only when moving. When I turn the graphics settings all the way down too. This one is patched as well. It's not poor frame rate I can scroll around all over the place and so forth and it's fine, move the car an inch and well... This is happening in other games as well just not as bad.

Sauroth

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
There should be no conflicts. Adaware and windows defender are the only ones constantly running and adaware's adwatch is turned off, spybot's protection is off, malware bytes doesn't have one, so the only with any auto defense that is running is windows defender. The others I scan with occassionally. All auto-scanning is likewise disabled. I only have one antivirus, which has it's autoprotect enabled.

Kaspersky internet security (which rocks) has a fatal unfixable error under windows 7 x64, avg is terrible and Norton internet security just won't remove certain viruses, there isn't much else to choose from in the way of security suites that are windows 7 compatible and even if I did have one I would still run the other 4, they often find several somethings the others have missed including the better security suites.

I have not found in my experience that running one or even two anti-spyware/anti-malware programs is sufficient, although 4 might be overkill, by the time I run windows defender it doesn't find anything, also windows firewall is turned off so there is no firewall conflict. There are no windows 7 chipset drivers, although I do have the newest vista x64 chipset drivers installed. Yes my ram voltage is set to manufacturers and is set to 1/1 fsb. My resource usage is about 24% of ram idle and 0-3% of cpu usage, usually zero idle. There aren't any cpu usage spikes as far as I can tell either. The ram usage is normal for windows 7 x64.

I have 12 items in startup. 4 are required for my motherboard or 3d card, the rest are java, zune, quicktime, winpatrol monitor, power iso, adobe acrobat, rockstar games social club, avira and alcohol automount. Nothing fishy in services and when I run winpatrol monitor or task manager nothing fishy running in processes either.

AerieC

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
My best guess on this would be that it's hard drive related. Do you have any programs running that may access the HD a lot when you get these issues? Have you tried running some HD diagnostics or doing a fresh install on a different HD?

G

Dude, disable the Event log service. I had the same problem with GTAIV, it was lagging when i move left or right. I have read that on web somewhere, and it helped me ALOT. Just disable it, and run GTA, you will see.
Just to be on clear side my specs are:
C2Q9550 @ 3.0ghz
OCZ Vendetta 2
4gb of Patriot Viper 1066mhz
Powercolor HD4870 1Gb
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3LR
WD Black 1TB
So, the computer was not the issue, nor the Windows 7. It was that service, i dunno why, but there is the problem. Disable it, and it will run fine.

Raceyb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
It is not a game. I have the exact same issue with the stuttering and I have no games installed on my brand new Acer quad core with 4 gigs of RAM. This only started happening when I reformatted and installed Windows 7. It is very frustrating to be typing and then have to stop and wait for the computer to catch up. I turned on teh CPU monitoring gadget for the side bar and it shows all 4 CPU's maxing out at times when the only open AP is Windows 8 or the new Mozilla. It is very frustrating and it has me wanting to go back to Win XP 64.

BTW, I have an AMD quad core with ultra quiet CPU fan that only makes noise when processor needs cooling. When the box is truly idle, you would not know it is on. fire up a browser and start visiting sites, and the damn noise is unreal from the fan. Only browsing does this.

My anti-Virus is MS anti-virus security suite, which is running, but doesn't even show up in task bar.

My guess is the HDD as well.

How old is it and can you give us a model number if possible?

Dude, disable the Event log service. I had the same problem with GTAIV, it was lagging when i move left or right. I have read that on web somewhere, and it helped me ALOT. Just disable it, and run GTA, you will see.
Just to be on clear side my specs are:
C2Q9550 @ 3.0ghz
OCZ Vendetta 2
4gb of Patriot Viper 1066mhz
Powercolor HD4870 1Gb
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3LR
WD Black 1TB
So, the computer was not the issue, nor the Windows 7. It was that service, i dunno why, but there is the problem. Disable it, and it will run fine.

Hmm, another thing would be the hard drive Indexing Service, which IIRC comes turned off in Windows 7, but was on by default in XP. With it on, every couple of hours the HDD activity light would come on and stay solidly lit for minutes as XP scanned the entire drive for new or changed files to index. When you have a lot of files, that's a lot of activity and can slow the drive way down.

For Win7, according to Blackviper.com:

Indexing Service
Default Description:
Indexes contents and properties of files on local and remote computers; provides rapid access to files through flexible querying language.

Additional Information:
This service is not installed by default and should not be installed on a "home" system as "Windows Search" has taken over the duties of this service. You can add or remove this service by heading to:

•Head to Start
•Select Control Panel
•Select Programs
•Select Programs and Features
•Select Turn Windows Features on or off
•Check or Uncheck Indexing Service

For XP fans, just open Windows Explorer (not IE), right-click the root on your various drives, select Properties, and uncheck the "Allow Indexing Service to index this drive for fast file searching". It'll automagically process all the files and folders on that drive to turn off the index tag.

I guess it took a while for MS to realize hardly anybody spends hours constantly searching their drives for stuff, so why flog the hardware so often for such limited usefulness? :kaola:

My computer is lagging slightly (taking too long to do things sometimes) on booting (not always) just as it enters windows 7. It was having similar problems under windows XP 64 so I switched to windows 7. It also stutters when I'm typing sometimes (I'll type a word and there will be a delay and stuttered output of letters).

Starting new services? Entering new areas?

I'd call that Hard Drive I/O, rather than an issue with the OS.

An7imatt3r

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Seems like a stupid thing to say, but have you tried emptying your recycle bin? I have the same issue. When I did that it fixed my problem.... or at least for now. Who knows if it will come back.

AMCooper63

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
I too have a similar issue. Freshly built Dell Studio XPS Quad Core, Hyper threaded, 6GB, nVidia 240, RAID 1 drives, Windows 7x64
About once an hour, not dependent on what I'm doing the system will freeze any where from 2 to 20 seconds. Seems like most of the time it happens is when my bluetooth phone connects to the system. Soon as the freeze stops, I can view my CPU utilization and at least one core went to 100% Sometimes as many as 4 cores and always the odd cores. Hyper Threading makes the system appear as 8 cores. So far I've never caught which process might be going to 100%.

Alex_S

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
I too am having a similar problem. Well I overclocked my AMD Phenom II X2 555BE into a Phenom II X4 B55. And after that. every game stutters frequently like GTA 4, left 4 dead 1 & 2, Godfather 2, Combat arms, and even low end games like GTA san-andreas. I really need help. I built my PC like what a month ago?! I have windows 7 32Bit. Please help, I would truly appreciate an answer.

My build:
BIOSTAR A770E3
AMD Phenom II X4 B55 Processor
4 gigs of DDR3 dual channel RAM
ATI radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit ddr3 ram
Samsung 7600RPM 1TB HDD
Windows 7
Direct X 11
400W Rosewill stallion PSU

lukazg385

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Hi all!
Since I'm having the same problem with stuttering, I've been following different discussions and came about the system log solutions a couple of times.
Today I tried to defrag my HDD but the system told me that it can not start the defrag because scheduler isn't started.
Scheduler was not started because it depends on event logger to work, so I got to the conclusion that event log solution to less stuttering in GTA IV is a removal of excess HDD activities that scheduler, maybe, initiates.
So, basically, all of our stuttering problems are HDD problems. Is Win 7 so bad at managing HDD-s?

What to do, oh what to do... ?

Spec:
Gigabyte MA78LM-S2H
AMD Phenom II X2 550BE
4GB DDR3 dual channel RAM
GeForce 9800GT 1GB
WD 640GB HDD
Windows 7 Ultimate x86

Status
Not open for further replies.