cmichael138

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
My brother, who lives in another state tried to install a new HP printer and all went well with the software installation until the printer tried to connect with the computer and kept giving the message to connect the USB cable to the computer (which he had done). He tried various USB ports with no luck.

I directed him to the Device Manager to see what showed and he found the Universal Serial Bus Controllers with a - sign to the left of it and nothing listed below. Am I incorrect in thinking that there are some drivers missing? When I right click on the USBC the only options are "Scan for Hardware Changes" and "Properties".

If he is missing drivers, where can he locate them and how does he get them installed.

His MB is an older Abit KV7. I have found the USB 2.0 drivers on the Abit site but am sure that they are older than the
Windows XP Pro drivers.

AAny thoughts greatly appreciated.

Try this:

Control Panel>Add Hardware>

Answer the prompts that the hardware is installed.

The list of installed hardware will appear. Look down the list for Standard Enhanced PCI to USB controller. Click on it and then click Next, install automatically, no- don't want to go to the internet looking, next, as needed to install drivers.

It may be available, or maybe not. If it is available, and the driver loads correctly, it should find the Standard OpenHCD USB Host controllers too as well as the USB Root Hubs.

If none of the above works, re-install the chipset drivers for the motherboard, that's where they came from in the first place.