Sign in with
Your question

Connect wireless picture frame to wired network?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 4, 2010 12:23:49 AM

I have a Pix-Star PXT8W002 8-Inch FotoConnect Digital Photo Frame. The Pix-Star connects wirelessly to download photos and requires a DCHP server to assign it an IP address, but my Mom lives in a retirement home and only has a wired connection.

How can I connect this wireless frame to the Internet without a wi-fi connection?

I know I can add a wireless router, but I'm sure the retirement home would not appreciate my adding an unauthorized wireless access point.

Perhaps I can assign an IP from my home network, then move the frame to the retirement home and use Windows peer-to-peer wireless networking?

Anyway, I'm looking for ideas. TIA...
January 4, 2010 2:12:21 AM

You can also add a wireless card to her home computer. Then use Windows Internet Connection Sharing. This will allow the frame to get an IP via DHCP when the computer is on.
m
l
January 5, 2010 1:50:10 AM

Thanks! I'll try this with my laptop at work, where it is plugged into an Ethernet jack and has the wireless connection free for ICS.
m
l
Related resources
January 16, 2010 2:42:20 AM

No joy with ICS. Pix-Star tech support, which was quick and helpful, stated it can't be done - something about the protocol used by ICS not being supported by the frame.

I guess I'll have to sneak a wi-fi router in and hide it under the bed.
m
l
September 27, 2010 9:41:12 AM

I don't think that there is any other way to get the photo frame connected to the Wi-Fi as that would not be possible there, the only way out will be try connecting a Wi-Fi to the computer when required but as that too seems to be a problem. There is nothing much you could be doing to get it set in a proper manner with the WI-Fi connection.
m
l
!