Sign in with
Your question

How hot?

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
May 4, 2011 8:17:44 AM

i have the amd 1090t i have the zalman 9700 and 5 case fans all running high yet my cpu temp is always 50c is this to hot? or is that ok? or if i was to buy a corsair h70 wood that make a difference?

More about : hot

May 4, 2011 10:00:45 AM

Is that 50C at idle or 50C at load?
a c 101 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 4, 2011 10:28:27 AM

If its at 50C all the time then it must be idle so yes its to hot as you want to stay under 60C load. A h70 should fix this but there are better and cheaper air coolers.
Related resources
a c 158 à CPUs
a c 280 K Overclocking
May 4, 2011 1:48:44 PM

55ºC on load or below and you will be safe, the idle temps isn't very important.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 5, 2011 2:28:22 AM

reseat the HSF and apply some AS5 or equivalent...if that 50c is at idle...if thats 100% load then your fine as Saint stated
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 5, 2011 2:30:50 AM

Oh make sure that your airflows in one direction also ---->as fans will cancel one another out if the fans aren't configured in one direction
a b K Overclocking
May 7, 2011 12:11:00 PM

hey guys sry late reply work all week! i got a h70 and after the mission of trying to get it in my case (recommend u size it up first unlike me who thought yeah it will fit!!) my temps have dropped loads its idle around 38 and full load at 54 so big difference in my eyes. its also allowing me to overclock to 3.9ghz now which it didnt before so that better im yet to try 4ghz.....
a c 158 à CPUs
a c 280 K Overclocking
May 9, 2011 3:40:03 AM

Your temps are at limit of my "safe" area, if you get temps above 55 you could have problems.
May 9, 2011 8:15:54 AM

Hey stew I have a 1090T too and my question would be what are the ambient temps of the room, because that will always be a factor when using air cooling.

I am using a Corsair A50, nothing fancy but it keeps my idle temps at 25C and load at about 44C and thats at 4.0GHz. So if the ambient temp around your computer is fine I think you should be able to get your temps a bit lower either with better air flow or maybe reseating the cooler.

Oh and what are the voltages that you are using to OC I would back them down as far as you can to try and get lower temps. Are you using the multiplier or the bus to OC?
a b K Overclocking
May 9, 2011 8:01:56 PM

j2j663.... my volts are cpu volt: 1.52, NB volt: 1.24 im using multiplier i was using the bus but read somewhere it was best to use multi. i cant drop my cpu volts any more as computer crashes and blue screens. i put another ferd up on here about what temps to go by ive been looking at my oc tuner which tells me my cpu temp is 49c but i was reading some freds on here and someone was saying they use core temp so i downloaded that and it says cpu 34c so which do i go by? core temp or oc tuner?
May 10, 2011 3:53:52 AM

Below 90c is safe
below 80c is recommended
below 60c is prefered

current CPUs are rated for 100c. I remember watching videos of P4s running without heat-sinks, they just throttle down when they get too hot.
a c 158 à CPUs
a c 280 K Overclocking
May 10, 2011 4:42:33 AM

Kewlx25 said:
Below 90c is safe
below 80c is recommended
below 60c is prefered

current CPUs are rated for 100c. I remember watching videos of P4s running without heat-sinks, they just throttle down when they get too hot.

Are you talking seriously?
May 10, 2011 5:12:06 AM

stew198269 said:
j2j663.... my volts are cpu volt: 1.52, NB volt: 1.24 im using multiplier i was using the bus but read somewhere it was best to use multi. i cant drop my cpu volts any more as computer crashes and blue screens. i put another ferd up on here about what temps to go by ive been looking at my oc tuner which tells me my cpu temp is 49c but i was reading some freds on here and someone was saying they use core temp so i downloaded that and it says cpu 34c so which do i go by? core temp or oc tuner?

The voltage for you CPU seems a bit high but I haven't worked with any processor but my own so for all I know I could have gotten lucky and yours could be normal. You can overclock using either the bus or the multi, or both. Using the multi is easier because it only affects the CPU so that is the only component that you have to worry about failing. If you use the bus to OC then you have to start looking at things like the RAM speeds and the NB speed as well because increasing the bus will increase the speed for those components as well.

If you really want to isolate what is causing your BSOD then I would reduce the RAM multi (underclock it) so that you rule that out as a cause, then do the same for the NB and see if you can take the bus or the multi higher on the CPU. I will say that anything over 4GHz isnt really going to make that big of a difference but I also know that it is just fun to try it out sometimes. Basically just make sure that you isolate the components as you OC so that you know what is actually causing the comp to crash.

About the temps ... it took me a while to figure this one out too but I think I finally have it down. Unfortunately I do not remember what article I read that finally tied it all together but it goes like this:

The "core temps" the ones that seem to be individual for all 6 cores are read by any monitoring program from the pins assigned to do so on the CPU. Therefore these "individualized" temps are actually the temps of the pin not specifically the core. So they will usually be 6-10C lower than the actual core.

The CPU temp is the actual temperature inside of the CPU and the one that is rated for 62C and all that jazz. This is the temp that is the one to be looking at when you are looking for an accurate temperature reading.
!