Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How much does room temp affect PC cooling?

Last response: in Overclocking
May 4, 2011 11:41:57 AM

Hi,
I'm planning an i5 2500k build for gaming and multi media, with a view to overclocking and just for constant day to day use. I live in a reasonably hot climate +40C at times in summer and i have no home air con. How much will room temp affect my cooling needs?
There seems to be alot of different stuff written about fan configurations in cases these days and i'm just wondering if anyone here any personal experience that might help me in choosing a case?

So far i'm considering things like:
NZXT Phantom (for aesthetics as it will be in my living room next to the TV running as a gaming and media center)

or

Cooler Master HAF932
EdpNo=4146085&CatId=1510

just as examples as i'm open for suggestions please

More about : room temp affect cooling

a b 4 Gaming
a c 295 K Overclocking
May 4, 2011 1:46:28 PM

Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

Your rig temps can't be better that your room temps, unless that your use extreme cooling. That's your answer, then, you need play with the delta temperature to get the most lowest possible.
Score
May 4, 2011 9:42:33 PM

Not too much i can do about the room temp without spending the money i'm saving to get my new PC on air con instead. And thats not gonna happen ..lol
I'm really just asking for anyones experiences with different Gaming cases or fan configurations and particularly in a hot climate?
Anything anyone might want to share that might help me make a more informed decision?
Score
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
May 4, 2011 10:37:12 PM

Well from my experience living in California with no AC my cpu temps can raise from up to 5-10c on idle...like for instance right now on idle i get around 35-38c on a hot day at 85F outside temps...During a cold day it's around 27c-30c on idle...So yes it does raise your temps if your room gets hotter...Part of the reason why i went back to stock settings on my i5 2500k...I need to buy AC for my room before i overclock my cpu again...This is also using a aftermartket heatsink...Honestly i can't even tell the difference in performance from 3.3ghz to 4.2ghz while gaming or doing anything else...The new sandybridge cpu's are fast already they don't really need overclocking unless you wanna show off some benchmarks..So right now i have mine at stock settings with turbo enbaled so if it needs to be overclocked it overclocks itself to 3.7ghz which to me is more then enough :) ...But i recommend getting a aftermarket heatsink on the new sandybridge...the intel stock heatsinks aren't good

my case also has 2 intake fans and 1 rear exhaust..i'll probably get a top cover with 2 fans on top for it...to exhaust more hot air..
Score
a b K Overclocking
May 4, 2011 10:45:58 PM

Get you a box fan and the HAF 932....turn the box fan to blow into the intake side of the case...It will help some but at 40+c with no AC..I would save up for some A/C...I lived in Fontana CA in a house with no AC in the summer room temps were outrageous...highest temp I seen in my room was 110 F...very uncomfortable...if you do get the Computer cooled...you'll still be sweating while OCing..LOL
Score
a b K Overclocking
May 4, 2011 11:14:15 PM

A couple of years ago, if memory serve me right, as Ambient temp goes up 1 C, cpu temp goes up approx 1.5 C.

Based on that if ambient was 21 C and cpu temp was at say 30 C. If ambient went up to 31 C then cpu would go to approx 45 C (this was for Idle). There are some variables. RH plays a factor. The higher relative Humidity provides better cooling effect than say dry air. IE 90F in desert is worse than 90 F on inthe Midwest.
Score
May 4, 2011 11:55:42 PM

Thanks, thats quite interesting as a just of what could be 35C on the CPU between winter and summer worries me a bit but i am on the coast so humidity is high to.

I'm starting to second thought overclocking but leaning towards getting an after market CPU cooler straight away anyway instead of putting it off.

Sounds like i should considering a better cooled case much more aethetics as come summer this could be very important.
Score

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a c 131 K Overclocking
May 5, 2011 12:58:47 AM

40c. is 104f. My synpathies.

The very best coolers in an open test bed will give you cpu temperatures of 27c over ambient. So you are starting at 67c.
Overclocking, you can expect 35c over ambient. Inside a case, it will be worse.

Here are some suggestions:
1) get the best aftermarket cpu cooler you can afford. Something like the prolimatech megahalems.
2) Plan on a noisier pc. Use higher output fans on the cpu cooler.
3) Get a case with high airflow. Two 120mm intake fans or two 120mm output fans would be a minimum. Replace the stock fans with higher output versions.
4) Abandon thoughts of a spiffy looking case. Get one that is functional. Something like the Antec 100, 200, or three hundred.
5) get a graphics card that has a dual slot direct exhaust cooling system. Some cards like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... may do a good job of cooling on an open test bed. But, in a case the hot air collects, raising both the gpu and cpu temperatures. A better example would be something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
6) Keep your wiring neat, and out of the airflow as much as possible.
7) Remove dust filters to improve airflow. Just clean your PC more often.

Lastly, don't worry too much about temperatures. A cpu or graphics card will downclock if necessary to protect itself from damage.
a b K Overclocking
May 5, 2011 1:12:51 AM

BTW a 8,000 BTU A/C unit can be had for $139.00 12,000 BTU A/C for $200.00 at LOWES, Wal-Mart or any other store of their type...Best Answer.... anyone...lol
Score
May 5, 2011 1:34:52 AM

Very helpfull thanks geofelt.

I'm looking the HD 6950 GPU and all seem to have the dual slot exaust so thats a starts and i feel that a full size case will be easier to cool giving that everything wont be packed so tightly in, alowing for more airflow, and size isn't too much of an issue as i will not be trying to fit it into a particular space.

Noise on the otherhand i'm unsure of. This with be my first PC build in 8 to 10 years, other than cannibalising older stuff together..lol
I just don't know how loud all these case fans, GPU and CPU coolers end up being?
i don't think i'll be too picky about it but on the other hand it will be in living room on the entertainment unit or the like. Don't want to have to crank the sound up too much to drown out the PC thats playing it ..lol
Score
May 5, 2011 1:38:48 AM

To lowjack 989, sorry but that doesn't quite help when i'm here in Australia. Haven't seen any that cheep but i will look more.
Score
a b K Overclocking
May 5, 2011 2:01:48 AM

Go AMD and that would save you like $200-$300 and you'd at least be on your way to getting one with the saved money...hell think of your comfort
Score
May 5, 2011 2:08:37 AM

How's going AMD going to save me $200-$300 over the i5 2500k?...are they gonna pay me to take one of there processors?...lol
Score
a b K Overclocking
May 5, 2011 2:18:07 AM

OH...your one of them nevermind.....
Score
a b K Overclocking
May 5, 2011 2:21:18 AM

Your Sandy Bridge will burn down...have fun with your hellish temps
Score
May 5, 2011 2:38:16 AM

lol ...that post does make me sound like an intell snob hey.

I'm only looking to build Sandy Bridge because the cost to performance seems to be the best i can get at the moment.
I'm running an old Athlon 64 3000+ at the moment and have had several AMD's over the years so hopefull i'm not "one of them" ....lol

So good cooling options and a bit of care and hopefully i can make the best of it.

Sand don't burn anyway! ....lol
Score
a b K Overclocking
May 5, 2011 2:43:55 AM

Sand indeed does burn it is used to make glass.......
Score
May 5, 2011 2:59:38 AM

Sand indeed does not burn, it just melts, you need the reaction of fuel (sand), oxygen and heat to constitute burning ...lol

But some how i fear we are now waaaay off thread here ...lol
Score
a b K Overclocking
May 5, 2011 3:02:27 AM

Yes I do believe we have wondered off of the path
Score
May 5, 2011 3:36:26 AM

Sand is a silaca material, To make glass from sand you are actually melting it, at extreme heat. When was the last time you seen someone burn molten lava "lowjack989"?
Score
May 5, 2011 3:38:17 AM

Oh by the way, ambient room temps always effect the temps of computers, why you think servers are kept in a cool environment?
Score
a b 4 Gaming
a c 131 K Overclocking
May 5, 2011 3:44:20 AM

As an off the wall idea, consider that ground water 2 meters down will be a constant 10c or so.
Circulate water through a shallow well, and you have a source of cool water for cooling.
Score
a b K Overclocking
May 5, 2011 3:49:52 AM

kg4icg said:
Sand is a silaca material, To make glass from sand you are actually melting it, at extreme heat. When was the last time you seen someone burn molten lava "lowjack989"?

Piss off.. :hello:  .get my name out of quotation marks...thanks for the science lesson....douche...sorry OP didn't mean to feed the trolls :lol: 
Score
May 5, 2011 3:52:05 AM

LOL .... sinking a bore to cool me PC now thats latteral thinking, i love it ..lol
wont be doning it but hey someone else might pick up on the idea, maybe ...lol
Score
a b K Overclocking
May 5, 2011 3:52:23 AM

geofelt said:
As an off the wall idea, consider that ground water 2 meters down will be a constant 10c or so.
Circulate water through a shallow well, and you have a source of cool water for cooling.

OP doesn't even have an A/C unit and your talking using geothermal wells..... :pt1cable: 
Score
a b K Overclocking
May 5, 2011 3:56:01 AM

I hope his water table is close to the ground..geo you really think you can find water at 2 meters? Where your at it must be a swamp...my well is 220 feet deep at my house...I have seen water wells as deep as 984 feet as I am a water operator in the states..If you did get it a 2 meters...How are you gonna circulate it? Pumps, tubing, etc...equal big bucks....So, yeah neat idea if you got the money
Score
May 5, 2011 3:59:06 AM

i'd love to know if anyone has ever done this.
Someone know a guy who knew a guy whose cousin did it?
Score
a b K Overclocking
May 5, 2011 4:12:19 AM

I have seen whole housing development using geothermal wells......intially its crazy expensive yet it is very reliable and green...constant 68F all the time...they use a sistern and pump water down to like 80 feet through special lines that transfer heat from the incoming water then pump it back through a coil with a fan attached to your homes duct work
Score
May 5, 2011 4:41:54 AM

awesome!
so now how can i harness into this great idea... i have a pick and shovel, some garden hose, a couple of peddistal fans and maybe power it with an old mower engine ...lol
Score
a b K Overclocking
May 5, 2011 4:57:35 AM

:lol:  you will also need a flux capacitor :o 
Score
May 5, 2011 5:27:19 AM

New thread - flux capacitors and there use in geothermal PC cooling ...lol
The all new HyperWell Hydro X Deluxe!
Coming to Newegg May 2011 ...lol
Score
a b K Overclocking
May 5, 2011 5:33:53 AM

Does it come in a kit? :heink:  Does it come with thermal paste pre-applied? :lol:  Do I really need 1.2 Giga Watts or is 1.0 Giga Watt enough?
Score
May 5, 2011 5:53:13 AM

Kit for sure!
Giga Watts? ...nah your thinthing of the HyperWell Hydro 1.0 Pro
The X series Deluxe is the 350 hp petrol driven system ...lol

wow this is the worst off thread i've seen here yet ...lol
and i'm half to blame ...lol
Score
a b K Overclocking
May 5, 2011 6:13:00 AM

Yeah it was fun while it lasted...pick a best answer and put us out of our misery....Laughed my ass off on this one
Score
May 5, 2011 6:23:11 AM

Best answer selected by ddemon.
Score
a c 197 K Overclocking
May 5, 2011 6:50:58 AM

ddemon said:
Kit for sure!
Giga Watts? ...nah your thinthing of the HyperWell Hydro 1.0 Pro
The X series Deluxe is the 350 hp petrol driven system ...lol

wow this is the worst off thread i've seen here yet ...lol
and i'm half to blame ...lol

:) 

Oh, no. You should see some of our really off the wall threads. Some of badge's posts come to mind.
Score
May 5, 2011 7:57:28 AM

geofelt said:
40c. is 104f. My synpathies.

Lastly, don't worry too much about temperatures. A cpu or graphics card will downclock if necessary to protect itself from damage.

whats the story with downclocking? ...is it standard these days or only on some models ,etc, etc?
Score
a b 4 Gaming
a c 295 K Overclocking
May 5, 2011 7:59:37 AM

This topic has been closed by Saint19
Score
!