Weird crashes after switching to Vista... PLEASE HELP!!!

matharmony

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007
Here are my specs: Nothing is O/C'ed and all temps are ~30'C.
Q6600
Asus P5Q
OCZ 2gb Ram
Seagate HD 500gb
Visiontek Radeon 4870 512mb
Corsair PSU 520W
Antec 900 Case
Logitech G9 Mouse
Logitech G11 Keyboard
Windows Vista Premium 32bit

So yea, decided to finally upgrade to Vista yesterday from XP pro. Put the disk in, reformatted the drive, then I installed all my drivers and programs. So I left for work, while I left the computer on while it was downloading something through Azureus (torrent). Came back a few hours later and my saw that the LED on my mouse was off and when I turned on my monitor the screen was black, keyboard was unresponsive and so was the mouse however the computer itself was on (as seen with the fan lights and fans running). Another thing I noticed was that the HD light on the case remained SOLID.

I had to hold the power button to turn it off, then press it again to get the computer to turn back on; it worked fine and resumed my Windows session. So I figured I'd leave it on overnight again to finish downloading something and since my computer has never had problems before I thought this was just one of those weird Vista things. However last night while I kept the computer on again, I woke up to find it in the exact same state as explained earlier.

Since then, I've updated Vista (previous to this, Vista was fresh with no updates at all) with all of the recommended updates and installed AVG Free.

But I'm still scared as to whats going on. I have no idea as this has never happened before, it seems as though when I'm watching the computer its all good, but when I leave it happens.

Please help me out guys,
I'd appreciate it very very much.

Thanks

matharmony

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007
Thanks for the link but I'm really confused. When I checked the settings in the Power Management it says sleep mode is on never which doesn't make sense. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

matharmony

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007
S1 and S3 are on in ACPI mode, the version is disabled.

I left the computer on for 8hrs last night with azureus closed and it worked fine after I moved the mouse. The computer didn't goto sleep as I had set it to; only turned off the display and that came back with the move of a mouse.

Could it have been azureus?

ok,
for everyone that runs Azureus and is planning to install vista please read up on some of the following.
1.) Azureus WILL slow your perfromance and lock up often with vista
2.) Right clicking in the program will lock the program up
3.) To save anywhere without getting an error you must change the save area to shared and uncheck read only.
4.) Do NOT start many downloads as this may lock up your computer AND may set off Vista Security and Vista will clos the program automaticly.

Just what I found on the web.