Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Asus P5W DH Deluxe - DVD Burning & SATA

Last response: in Motherboards
November 28, 2009 1:30:05 PM

Hello All,

DVD Question
Just wondering if anyone else has this board and is having issues burning videos to DVD. I can burn the videos but when I play them in my standalone DVD player, the playback pauses and hesitates and is unwatachable.

I have tried:

1. Using different burning software
2. Using different DVD Media brands and types, DVD-R and DVD+R

I contacted Asus and they said to try to update my BIOS. Currently, I am running BIOS 1602 and the latest version is 3001. Anyone have any feedback on why I should or should not update the BIOS?

Also, if I move forward on the BIOS and the BIOS does not take, my understanding is that I can revert back to the old BIOS, right? To revert back to the old BIOS, would resetting the CMOS cause the Motherboard to revert back to the old BIOS or would I need to actually load the old BIOS back the same way I loaded the new BIOS?

One last comment on burning the video, when I burn a video to DVD, I can watch the DVD in the DVD burner without any problems.

SATA Question
One other question that I am seeking feedback. My SATA functionality is well, for a lack of a better word - quirky. I have two SATA Hard Drives and a single SATA Lightscribe DVD Burner. I am not using RAID. I had a lot of difficulty getting the mobo to recognize all drives. It took several restarts and disconnecting the second hard drive and DVD and then installing each separately. Not to mention a few CMOS resets. Anyone else have trouble with SATA on this MOBO?

I don't have any errors in Control Panel>system. I am running Windows XP SP3. This was my first PC build and I do not recall installing any of the drivers on the Mobo CD. Here are some screenshots of Control Panel.
Thanks for any advice.

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 234 V Motherboard
November 28, 2009 7:55:33 PM

Quote:
Also, if I move forward on the BIOS and the BIOS does not take, my understanding is that I can revert back to the old BIOS, right?
Absolutely not. The latest BIOS is fine and there no reasons to go back. Download it to a USB flash drive and use Asus EZ Flash 2 to flash it (refer to page 4-45 of the manual for more info). Don't flash it from Windows.

Did you burn videos to DVD using the same burner on a different system? I'd suspect the burner more than the motherboard.

I never has SATA problems with that motherboard. I presume that you are using the 3 SATA connectors on the ICH7R and not the JMicron.
m
l
November 29, 2009 10:41:48 AM

GhislainG said:
Quote:
Also, if I move forward on the BIOS and the BIOS does not take, my understanding is that I can revert back to the old BIOS, right?
Absolutely not. The latest BIOS is fine and there no reasons to go back. Download it to a USB flash drive and use Asus EZ Flash 2 to flash it (refer to page 4-45 of the manual for more info). Don't flash it from Windows.

Did you burn videos to DVD using the same burner on a different system? I'd suspect the burner more than the motherboard.

I never has SATA problems with that motherboard. I presume that you are using the 3 SATA connectors on the ICH7R and not the JMicron.

Thank you for your response GhislainG. I have not tried burning DVD's using the same burner on a different system. I did not think of that but that is a great idea. Like I said the odd thing is that I can watch the videos on my PC and I can burn the video to DVD and play it back on my PC and it plays fine. I have half ruled out the stand alone DVD player as I have played the DVDs in another standalone DVD and the DVD did not play well.

Regarding your question about the SATA and using ICH7R and not the JMicron, I do not have an answer. I assume you are referring to how the DVD is set up in BIOS? I think the BIOS is set to default - that is I did not change anything. I can check to see if ICH7R is the selected option though. This might answer your question - the main HD is selected to the lowest SATA connection (SATA0 or 1. Can remember), the data HD is connected to the next highest SATA connection and the DVD is connected to the highest SATA connection.
m
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 234 V Motherboard
November 29, 2009 1:28:01 PM

The ICH7R connectors are labelled SATA1, SATA3 and SATA4 (red and black ports). The Silicon Image 4723 (Asus EZ Backup) ports are labelled EZ_RAID1 and EZ_RAID2 (Orange ports). The JMicron JMB363 ports are the port in the back and the port labelled SATA_RAID1 (black port near the audio header).
m
l
November 29, 2009 1:36:07 PM

GhislainG said:
The ICH7R connectors are labelled SATA1, SATA3 and SATA4 (red and black ports). The Silicon Image 4723 (Asus EZ Backup) ports are labelled EZ_RAID1 and EZ_RAID2 (Orange ports). The JMicron JMB363 ports are the port in the back and the port labelled SATA_RAID1 (black port near the audio header).

Thank you. I am using the ICH7R connectors. I am not using RAID. I think the BIOS is set to default - meaning I have not changed anything. The BIOS version is 1602 which has been in place since 2006 based on the Asus tool that checks the BIOS.

Should I change anything or is this set up ok?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 29, 2009 2:03:22 PM

A firmware update for the DVD burner would be a better/more likely place to start than a mobo BIOS update. Not too many reasons that a mobo BIOS would cause the issue you are describing.
m
l
November 29, 2009 2:04:37 PM

GhislainG said:

Well I took the plunge and updated the BIOS to 3001 and it worked without issue. Also, XP found some new devices:

In Device Manager - Under ATA/ATAPI Controllers
One new Primary IDE Channel
One new Secondary IDE Channel
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

I doubt this will fix my CD issue but who knows. I will burn a CD to see what happens.
m
l
November 29, 2009 2:05:47 PM

tcsenter said:
A firmware update for the DVD burner would be a better/more likely place to start than a mobo BIOS update. Not too many reasons that a mobo BIOS would cause the issue you are describing.

Agreed. Already tried that though. Wondering if I should just scrap the SATA burner and try an IDE Burner to see if that works. Having fast devices is nice but not really essential.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 234 V Motherboard
November 29, 2009 2:49:41 PM

bpatters55 said:
Agreed. Already tried that though. Wondering if I should just scrap the SATA burner and try an IDE Burner to see if that works. Having fast devices is nice but not really essential.

You downloaded and installed the latest firmware for your LITE-ON LH-20A1L burner? http://us.liteonit.com/us/index.php?option=com_content&...

Edit: A SATA burner is not faster than an IDE burner.
m
l

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 234 V Motherboard
November 29, 2009 5:59:41 PM

Then test the DVD burner in another PC to see if you get the same results. Have you tried burning at a lower speed? According to http://www.myce.com/review/Lite-On-LH-20A1L-DVD-Burner-... writing at high speed can cause problems.
November 29, 2009 9:04:31 PM

GhislainG said:
Then test the DVD burner in another PC to see if you get the same results. Have you tried burning at a lower speed? According to http://www.myce.com/review/Lite-On-LH-20A1L-DVD-Burner-... writing at high speed can cause problems.

Thanks for all the help. I sucessfully burned a video to DVD-R without any slow or stopped playback. I am not sure if it was the BIOS update or the fact that I burned at 2X but it works.

Thanks fof the link to the article. If I understood the technojargon, it sounds like the drive has some problems writing to media. That would make sense and may have been my issue all along. Perhaps burning at such a slow speed made up for the drives writing performance. I may end up buying another SATA drive to test it out or I may just stick with burning at a very slow rate. I think 2X took almost an hour per DVD.

Oh well. Thanks again.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 234 V Motherboard
November 29, 2009 9:10:01 PM

I have similar issues when I burn audio CDs for my car. If I burn them at full speed, the last 4-5 songs take forever to start playing.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 30, 2009 6:49:26 AM

I stopped burning CDs faster than 32x and DVDs faster than 8x when those were the fastest burners available (and had problems back then).
m
l
!