Sony GRZ-660

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 14, 2004 2:59:11 AM

I have a Sony GRZ 660 and lately the thing has been overheating and shutting
off. What can be the cause? I haven't opened it up yet to check the heat
sink on the cpu (I'm not even sure there is one.) but when/if I do, can I
install a better heat sink? Can I install a better or new fans? I've also
noticed the ram getting pretty hot. How can I get better air flow by the
ram? And lastly has anybody found a tool that can report the internal
temperature on this laptop? I've tried mother board monitor and it didn't
seem to be able to detect any sensors.

Thanks in advance.

Noam

More about : sony grz 660

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 14, 2004 11:19:10 AM

Noam Luft wrote:
> I have a Sony GRZ 660 and lately the thing has been overheating and
> shutting off. What can be the cause? I haven't opened it up yet to
> check the heat sink on the cpu (I'm not even sure there is one.) but
> when/if I do, can I install a better heat sink? Can I install a
> better or new fans? I've also noticed the ram getting pretty hot.
> How can I get better air flow by the ram? And lastly has anybody
> found a tool that can report the internal temperature on this laptop?
> I've tried mother board monitor and it didn't seem to be able to
> detect any sensors.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Noam

Use a can of dust cleaner, pressurized air duster, available at any
computer supply to blow out the fan inlet(s) and exhaust(2) thoroughly.
This will remove accumulated dust from the cooling system.

April 17, 2004 2:09:27 AM

Thank you for the quick response. I'll give that a shot.

> Noam Luft wrote:
> > I have a Sony GRZ 660 and lately the thing has been overheating and
> > shutting off. What can be the cause? I haven't opened it up yet to
> > check the heat sink on the cpu (I'm not even sure there is one.) but
> > when/if I do, can I install a better heat sink? Can I install a
> > better or new fans? I've also noticed the ram getting pretty hot.
> > How can I get better air flow by the ram? And lastly has anybody
> > found a tool that can report the internal temperature on this laptop?
> > I've tried mother board monitor and it didn't seem to be able to
> > detect any sensors.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Noam
>
> Use a can of dust cleaner, pressurized air duster, available at any
> computer supply to blow out the fan inlet(s) and exhaust(2) thoroughly.
> This will remove accumulated dust from the cooling system.

a b D Laptop
April 19, 2004 9:15:35 PM

"Noam Luft" <nluft8@cox.net> wrote in message
> I have a Sony GRZ 660 and lately the thing has been overheating and
shutting
> off. What can be the cause? I haven't opened it up yet to check the
heat
> sink on the cpu (I'm not even sure there is one.) but when/if I do, can I
> install a better heat sink? Can I install a better or new fans? I've
also
> noticed the ram getting pretty hot. How can I get better air flow by the
> ram? And lastly has anybody found a tool that can report the internal
> temperature on this laptop? I've tried mother board monitor and it didn't
> seem to be able to detect any sensors.

There are many shareware/freeware software
packages you can download that monitor the
temperature on a motherboard. Just Google
for "motherboard temperature monitor".

dk
!