Sign in with
Your question
Solved

TRIM help needed

Last response: in Storage
February 12, 2011 1:49:23 PM

Hello everyone just got my new system up and going now I need to ask some questions. I have a 60GB SSD it is a G.Skill Sniper SATA II. I couldn't afford the 120GB on this build oh well. My questions are: Is TRIM automatically on or do you have to enable it somehow? Which program do I use to see the tranfer rates benchmarked on SSD/HDD's? Which format should I have used?...It is NTFS right now I thought I read that it should have been formatted in FAT32 for maximum speed.

More about : trim needed

Best solution

a b G Storage
February 12, 2011 3:15:49 PM

If you're using Windows 7, TRIM is on automatically. Some popular SSD benchmark programs are AS SSD, Crystal DiskMark, and ATTO. Below is a list of Optimizations to get the most from your SSD. Not sure about the format question, first I've heard of it.

http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-...
February 12, 2011 3:51:10 PM

If for some reason TRIM is not enabled you may enable it by typing the following into the command prompt with admin privliges:

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify =0

Also it is not a good idea to use AS SSD repeatedly due to the fact that it writes onto the SSD many times during the benchmark.
m
l
Related resources
February 12, 2011 5:21:50 PM

Best answer selected by lowjack989.
m
l
February 13, 2011 3:57:59 AM

Thx everyone....I got back almost 10 GB by following the SSD Tweak article. I had already done a couple of em'...Just benched it on HDTune I got a 232MB/s avg. on ATTO I got 275 read/ 245 write Maximum....Thx again everyone
m
l
a c 143 G Storage
February 13, 2011 4:02:19 AM

You are welcome :) 
m
l
a b G Storage
February 13, 2011 6:18:28 AM

I agree with Lowjack, Tecmo wrote an awesome article. Thanks again.
m
l
a b G Storage
February 14, 2011 12:28:40 AM

tecmo, you may want to add a note in your Howto that even if DisableDeleteNotify = 0 TRIM may not actually be reaching the drive. All that means is that Windows is sending the command, but it never verifies (nor can it) if the command actually reaches the drive and is carried out. Certain SATA controllers and/or their drivers may not pass on the command.

EDIT: Actually that's probably outside of the scope of a howto anyway.
m
l
February 14, 2011 4:38:13 AM

randomizer how would TRIM truly be enabled if the command line doesn't enable it? Curious as I am taking computer science, you almost can't tell it from some of the questions I have ask on here,and I would like some insight into what ou were refering to.
m
l
February 14, 2011 4:39:35 AM

Is it just a Windows issue?
m
l
a b G Storage
February 14, 2011 7:27:28 AM

Setting that environment variable to 0 does enable it. But an enabled feature does not guarantee a working feature. The TRIM command gets passed through multiple layers.

Operating System -> SATA/RAID drivers -> SATA/RAID controller -> SSD controller and firmware

Each of these things needs to understand and pass on (or act on) the TRIM command for it to succeed. An incompatibility at any point will mean that the TRIM command does nothing. The usual suspects are the OS and the SATA/RAID drivers. The only way to know for sure that TRIM is working is through testing to see if a drive that starts performing badly due to being practically full speeds up as soon as a large amount of data is deleted.
m
l
February 14, 2011 2:47:22 PM

So I have to wait for the drive speed to degrade due to lack of heardroom...then delete a large quanity of data, and see what happens. This should allow me to see if TRIM is functioning properly. Right?
m
l
a b G Storage
February 14, 2011 10:09:46 PM

Yes, but in the end all oyu're really doing is concerning yourself too much with the drive. If it seems to be working fine, it probably doesn't need you to be losing sleep over what it sort-of-could-maybe be performing like.
m
l
February 15, 2011 12:59:55 AM

Thanks randomizer, I hit my professor with this question and he was at a loss for an answer. So thanks again, I know what you mean I ain't gone to worry about it anymore. I was truly perplexed when posed that to tecmo to put a foot note in. second best answer to you randomizer.
m
l
!