Sign in with
Your question

Please Help with Video Card Upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 25, 2009 2:25:22 PM

Hello,
Could really use some help choosing a new video card.
I have an old Dell Dimension 9150, 3.0 Ghz Pentium D with an anemic Geforce 7300 le as the GPU.
I've read several posts here and elsewhere that I can get away with fairly decent video card despite the 375 watt PSU. I'm just trying to decide on which card.
I'm looking at something along the lines of an 8800 or 9600 gt or the ATI 4670.
Kinda leaning towards the 4670 due to the lower power consumption.
Any recommendations as far as these go, or something else?
I'm not much of a power gamer. I like the Total war series (Empire is very sluggish even on low settings as of now), but I'd really like to play Call of Duty 4. That's about my only requirements.
Couple of other things.
Has anyone had trouble putting a dual-slot PCI express card in this machine? There are some resistors to the immediate left of the PCI-express slot and I can't help but wonder if they would get in the way of a big fan.
And, I'm hoping to build another rig in the near future. If possible, I'd like this card to be able to put in the new system and perhaps even do the "Dual Card" thing.

Thanks.

More about : video card upgrade

a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2009 2:53:14 PM

Go with the ATI 4670 so you don't worry about the power issue as Dell isn't known for quality PSUs. Go with an XFX card for the lifetime warranty just in case.
a c 190 U Graphics card
June 25, 2009 3:29:48 PM

A HD4670 would be a nice upgrade but if you want to carry it over to another build and Crossfire later the HD4770 is a far better choice.
Yes, it'll run, it only draws *just* enough power to need a single 6 pin PCI-E connector.
Related resources
June 25, 2009 4:40:43 PM

One more quick question...................................
Is there a noticeable performance difference between 512 MB and 1 GB memory?
a c 190 U Graphics card
June 25, 2009 4:55:15 PM

Just price, cards of this performance bracket can't really use the extra memory effectively, only pay a few dollars more for the extra memory, because it will only give you a small increase in performance.
a c 235 U Graphics card
June 26, 2009 1:18:12 AM

hundredislandsboy said:
Go with the ATI 4670 so you don't worry about the power issue as Dell isn't known for quality PSUs. Go with an XFX card for the lifetime warranty just in case.

as usual idiots post dribble without doing any research, Dell is know for having plenty of amps on their PSU and for being conservative on their watts. I suggest you stop posting and rid us of your stupidity.

The Dell 375w has 30amps on its 12v and far exceeds 375w at peak watts. Plenty of people on this board use it to power the 8800GTS, 4850, 9800GT/8800GT.

Phil, you can run the 9800GT/8800GT (same card) but your CPU may bottleneck it a bit. The 9600GT is great choice also. Either card will be perfect for Total War.
June 26, 2009 3:39:54 PM

ct1615 said:

Phil, you can run the 9800GT/8800GT (same card) but your CPU may bottleneck it a bit. The 9600GT is great choice also. Either card will be perfect for Total War.

Thanks.
I realize that the CPU is sub-par, hence my hopes of just building a new system soon.
a b U Graphics card
June 26, 2009 8:56:34 PM

ct1615 said:
as usual idiots post dribble without doing any research, Dell is know for having plenty of amps on their PSU and for being conservative on their watts. I suggest you stop posting and rid us of your stupidity.

The Dell 375w has 30amps on its 12v and far exceeds 375w at peak watts. Plenty of people on this board use it to power the 8800GTS, 4850, 9800GT/8800GT.

Yes. All the Pros here recommend not to build your own or shop your own PSU. Everyone knows it's just better to buy Dell and soon Dell PSUs will be the best selling power suppliy because Dell is the best, lol.

I suggest you get back on your meds or get a stronger prescription because you are having episodes yet again.
a c 235 U Graphics card
June 26, 2009 9:11:02 PM

hundredislandsboy said:
Yes. All the Pros here recommend not to build your own or shop your own PSU. Everyone knows it's just better to buy Dell and soon Dell PSUs will be the best selling power suppliy because Dell is the best, lol.

I suggest you get back on your meds or get a stronger prescription because you are having episodes yet again.

not only are you the village idiot but you are blind.

1) What is pro? You? Do you get paid to build computers for a living, if not you are an amateur.
2) Where did I state people should buy Dell power supplies? I stated that people who own the Dell 375w (like the OP) can run their fair share of video cards. Including video cards the OP was looking into.
3) Dell does not make power supplies, SeaSonic makes if for them. Once you learn how to read, read up on some reviews of SeaSonic. They are one of the better power supply companies out there.

I'm done embarrassing you for the second time. If you want to post again, I'll be more then happy to embarrass you for a third time.

a b U Graphics card
June 27, 2009 11:12:09 AM

Well now, I guess we know who the Dell fanboy is who keeps up with Dell PSUs, lol.

Keep spouting about Dell's high quality pre-built systems and maybe you can help their stock go up, lol again.

a b U Graphics card
June 27, 2009 11:31:54 AM

If you want to have an argument then at least post some evidence (and better yet take it to PMs). Otherwise cut the crap and just answer the OP's questions.
a c 235 U Graphics card
June 27, 2009 2:29:19 PM

hundredislandsboy said:
Well now, I guess we know who the Dell fanboy is who keeps up with Dell PSUs, lol.

Keep spouting about Dell's high quality pre-built systems and maybe you can help their stock go up, lol again.

ah poor hundred island, Ive beaten him on twice with facts and now he posts again because his life is so pathetic. I simply stated you know nothing about PSU (proven fact), you are an idiot (proven fact), and a loser (common sense).

If you want me to embarrass you for a fourth time, well keep trolling from your mother's basement.
a c 235 U Graphics card
June 27, 2009 2:37:43 PM

randomizer said:
If you want to have an argument then at least post some evidence (and better yet take it to PMs). Otherwise cut the crap and just answer the OP's questions.

Facts
I have run the the 9800GT and 9600 GT with the PSU the OP asked about.

Many people on the Dell forum and this one have run the GTS 250 and 4850 with that PSU, including Delluser1

I have stated the PSU, made by Seasonic, has 30 amps and peaks above the stated 375w.

Hundred island child's has yet to state one fact.
a b U Graphics card
June 27, 2009 3:03:00 PM

Phil from Loreauville said:
Hello,
Could really use some help choosing a new video card.
I have an old Dell Dimension 9150, 3.0 Ghz Pentium D with an anemic Geforce 7300 le as the GPU.
I've read several posts here and elsewhere that I can get away with fairly decent video card despite the 375 watt PSU. I'm just trying to decide on which card.
I'm looking at something along the lines of an 8800 or 9600 gt or the ATI 4670.
Kinda leaning towards the 4670 due to the lower power consumption.
Any recommendations as far as these go, or something else?
I'm not much of a power gamer. I like the Total war series (Empire is very sluggish even on low settings as of now), but I'd really like to play Call of Duty 4. That's about my only requirements.
Couple of other things.
Has anyone had trouble putting a dual-slot PCI express card in this machine? There are some resistors to the immediate left of the PCI-express slot and I can't help but wonder if they would get in the way of a big fan.
And, I'm hoping to build another rig in the near future. If possible, I'd like this card to be able to put in the new system and perhaps even do the "Dual Card" thing.

Thanks.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9600gt_us....
http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_8800_gt_us...

Nvidia recommends minimum 400 watt PSU for the 9600 GT and 8800 cards. If you go by their recommendation, it limits your upgrade options.
a c 235 U Graphics card
June 27, 2009 3:08:50 PM

nvidia needs to cover themselves from crappy PSU makers. Anyone here can tell you its the amps, amps on the 12v rail, that are the key to the PSU and a video card.

Plus the dell 375w peaks at over 400w.
a b U Graphics card
June 27, 2009 4:11:48 PM

ct1615 said:

I have stated the PSU, made by Seasonic, has 30 amps and peaks above the stated 375w.

They are made by Newton, a subsidiary of Delta Electronics.
!