Amd Phenomm II X4 955 Water cooled

Slayer32163

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I want to liquid cool my Phenom II x4 955 on my biostar ta890fxe. I was hoping to get it to around 4.5-5.0ghz but i can barely get it stable at 4.0ghz at 1.525v running at 64c with my V8. if i liquid cool it, can i make it run at higher voltages to get it running faster or has my cpu just hit the max?

You will not get over 4.5GHz on that CPU whatever you do, with a good watercooling loop you could run higher voltage and may get a bit more but the highest I have seen anyone get one of these chips is 4.4GHz and if you are already using 1.525V I don't think your going to get more than another 100-200MHz. Whatever you may get its going to be poor value as you would need to spend around double the cost of the CPU on a water cooling setup just to find out. You could get a good kit you can keep for future upgrades i suppose.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
@OP-

I'm not as familiar with the Phenom chips, however, a CPU is a CPU...higher voltages are needed for higher overclocks. What is the stock voltage and max volts to run on that chip? Depending on your max value you may or may not be able to reach the clocks you want.

We've seen some guys on here that are running the 2500/2600k Intel chips pretty high which requires some pretty high voltages. Even they have seen 60-70s C on watercooling...once you get up high enough, you need more and more cooling for the speeds/volts you are pushing.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
So...that might be the answer the OP is looking for. It just might not be possible for that Phenom chip to hit that clock speed without something like LN2, a compressor or super chilled watercooling.

Edit: Oh...and a lot of luck, flawless hardware and a perfect OC.