Jpeg files

dixiedust545

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011
Hello,
I have some pictures on my computer that are a jpeg file but is not letting me preview them... instead it says preview not available... Can you help me to open them?

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
What program are you trying to view them in? Are you double-clicking on them and "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" comes up? If that's the case, try opening them in an image-editing program like MSPaint (included with Windows) or GIMP (freeware). If these programs can't open them, then, chances are, your file(s) is corrupt.

me 1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
Agreed , and if U still wanna try to open them try this:
Open any folder.
Go to Tools>Folder options
Uncheck the Hide extension for known files and click ok
Go to your pictures . Right click one and change it's extension. (to bmp or gif)
EX:
photo.jpeg to photo.bmp

Try opening it.

Go back to Tools>Folder options
Check the Hide extension for known files and click ok

Sometimes this thing works... :hello:

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Changing the file extension may make problems even worse. This is because the file extension doesn't matter. In a way, you could open a WAV file in an image-editing program and it appears like a perfectly normal image. It's the file header data that matters. If you open the file in a hex editor, BMP files will always start with "BM". I write programs that deal with BMP files so I know BMP's file header data very well. I could study the file format for JPG to see if something is amiss, but I'll need to see it in a hex editor.