Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I7 Gaming Rig, Need Suggestions on Quality/Compatibility

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 6, 2009 9:59:56 PM

Ok just read the sticky, incoming Copy+Paste suggestion!!

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: August 1st, Will be returning from military deployment end of July.

BUDGET RANGE: $1500-2000

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: High Performance Gaming. Primarily World of Warcraft, Warhammer Online, World at War, Crysis. Perferred to run all at Max Settings.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Mouse, Keyboard, Speakers, Surge Protector, Monitor.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: NewEgg, tried looking at Tiger Direct didn't like it.

PARTS PREFERENCES: I am going for Intel CPU, Nvidia GPU, Antec 900 series Case, OCZ HDs, Corsair/Kingston or any high quality Ram.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes, nothing too extreme, most likely taking the i7 920 to 3.5~3.8GHz.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes, eventually, don't need it now but want a mobo/gpu that support it.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Noise doesn't really concern me, neither do cosmetics. I mainly just want a beast machine that can give me awesome frame rates and last for a good while. Willing to pay for quality parts.

Here is the list of what i've selected thus far:

Case:
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

CPU:
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

Mobo:
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

GPU:
MSI N285GTX SuperPipe OC GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

RAM:
OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory

PSU:
OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC

Heatsink/Fan:
Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 120mm SSO CPU Cooler

Price: $1713.89 USD (this is including disc drives and hard drives)


The HD and Disc Drives imo are irrelevent since they are a dime a dozen, just know i am going to be running Win7 using a OCZ Vertex Series SSD 60GB drive.

If anyone has some suggestions i am open to them.

Thank you.
June 6, 2009 10:12:47 PM

All looks great, just a few things. (Also, don't forget to get an OS!!!)

Get a Corsair 750TX Power Supply. (revision for quality)
Get an EVGA GTX 285, MSI is a bit unreliable. (another revision for quality)
Get a Xigmatek Dark Knight 120mm CPU Cooler, and OCZ Freeze thermal paste. (Yet another quality revision)

Lastly, you forgot your HDD! I suggest a Samsung Spinpoint 1TB or WD Caviar Black 1TB.



June 6, 2009 10:56:03 PM

OK here are the exact names of the items i have switched out:

XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler

EVGA 01G-P3-1182-AR GeForce GTX 285 FTW Edition 1GB 512-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 SLI Supported Video Card

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power

OCZ OCZTFRZTC Freeze Extreme Thermal Conductivity Compound

Price is now:
1739.88

If anyone could lend some confirmation on these selections it would be awesome.


As to my HDD's i have chosen:

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD)

And my OS is going to be a ISO Version of Windows 7 RC 1; after which i will be getting the Lisence for and then purchasing.

If i need to i will get my brother Vista-64 Pro from my brother until i get a solid Windows 7 Load.
Related resources
June 6, 2009 11:36:55 PM

DrGrass1987 said:
OK here are the exact names of the items i have switched out:

XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler

EVGA 01G-P3-1182-AR GeForce GTX 285 FTW Edition 1GB 512-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 SLI Supported Video Card

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power

OCZ OCZTFRZTC Freeze Extreme Thermal Conductivity Compound

Price is now:
1739.88

If anyone could lend some confirmation on these selections it would be awesome.


As to my HDD's i have chosen:

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD)

And my OS is going to be a ISO Version of Windows 7 RC 1; after which i will be getting the Lisence for and then purchasing.

If i need to i will get my brother Vista-64 Pro from my brother until i get a solid Windows 7 Load.


I think your plan is right on.

Consider the Antec 902 case. It is an updated version of the 900. For instance it now includes front washable air filters:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
June 7, 2009 1:49:05 AM

Why have you not included your disk drives in the build price?

640GB WD black + OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD + optical drive puts your total price up over $2k.
June 7, 2009 2:52:22 AM

I recently bought the 60GB SSD, and I think it may have been a mistake. It's a great tech, just not quite ready yet, plus they take lots of techy know-how to work with them.

For example, you could get a RAID 0+1 (4 Drives) of Samsung Spinpoint F1s (Speed and Data Protection) for $30 more. Then, you'd have almost as much speed, plus data protection and more reliable drives, not to mention 2000GB compared to 60GB of storage, for just $30 more.

Just an idea. If the prices of SSDs drop dramatically by August, (and they probably will) then by all means, take the SSD.
June 7, 2009 4:24:20 PM

dub said:
Why have you not included your disk drives in the build price?

640GB WD black + OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD + optical drive puts your total price up over $2k.


Well actually, in my orginal post i said that the optical drives and the 2 HD's i'm getting are all irrelevent in my opinion, they were included in the price; i just didn't list them eventually.

I have been thinking of getting 2 640GB HDs and just using one for for Games/OS files and the other for all my data. I have heard several times that SSD SATA II's are not worth it and i should hold out for SATA III or until the price is say... halved. So i think i may do that.

The price i put it in the entire cost of the tower, sorry for any confusion.

Does anyone have a monitor they'd recomend for gaming purposes that would support HD gaming?
June 7, 2009 4:30:47 PM

swap the GTX 285 for dual 4890's, they'll offer considerably better performance and still stay in your price range.
June 7, 2009 11:56:50 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
swap the GTX 285 for dual 4890's, they'll offer considerably better performance and still stay in your price range.


So are you saying that Dual 4890s is comperable in price to One GTX 285? If so i will gladly do that.

However i would like to stick with one card for the time being.



That being said, could anyone suggest a high quality gaming monitor that could be had for 200-500 dollars? Looking for the ballpark of 24".

Thanks :) 
June 8, 2009 12:38:30 AM

DrGrass1987 said:
So are you saying that Dual 4890s is comperable in price to One GTX 285? If so i will gladly do that.

However i would like to stick with one card for the time being.


Depends on your definition of comparable. (prices vary slightly depending on which actual item you were to choose.)

Two 4890s = $429.98 after mail in rebate.

One GTX 285 = $319.99
!