Difference between maufactuers

ibarnzy

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
My question is there any difference between the various companies that make the graphic cards? And if there is, is there a company that has a better quality product than others? Thanks for any input as I am going to attempt my first build.

billj214

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Yes I think that a lot of people have had bad experience with some manufactures like Sapphire and really like BFG for reasons like warranty and customer support. You can learn a lot from people who give their opinions on Newegg and of course this forum.

I personally just went through a bad experience with my ATI cards overheating and after reading reviews online so did everyone else! Not to mention the cards were extremely loud. I ended up with a Gtx280 from Evga and absolutely love this card, also my past experience with Evga has always been excellent for graphics and motherboards.

Also you can check the BBB.org for complaints.

Good Luck.

ibarnzy

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Thanks for the input will keep it all in check. *crossing fingers* Hope all goes well once I get going on this.

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
It varies from card to card as to what differences there are between the manufacturers.

With some cards the difference is purely down to warranty and package deal, the actual cards themselves all coming out of the same factory on the same line, and so at a component level being "identical". The early 8800gtx's for example Nvidia had them all made and the manufacturers put them in their own box with their own sticker and added their own warranty. Because I knew this, I went for the very cheapest 8800GTX's I could get at launch (palit) and both cards are still working perfectly now. Normally I go for XFX, as Ive never had any of their cards die on me - despite having a fair number of pcs with them installed at work for a fair few years now.

However some other cards the manufacturers do actually get the boards made themselves and there you could potentially run into quality of component differences between manufacturers.