My CRT monitor is dying, help picking new LCD

Mocs123

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
My beloved Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930sb CRT monitor is on its last leg and I am now forced to buy a new monitor. Obviously it has been a long time in the market and a lot of familiar names (Sony, Mitsubishi, etc) are now gone, and replaced by a lot of brands I am not familiar with. My first question is what brands should I bee looking at? I have primarily been looking at Samsung and Viewsonic(do they still make good monitors?), but should I also consider brands like Acer, Asus(I thought they were a mobo company), Hans -G, etc?

My front runner right now is the Viewsonic VX2262wm 22" LCD. Any reasons why this would be a bad choice? Should I go bigger/smaller? Different model? Different Brand?

Also, I have noticed a lot of monitors are 16x9 (1920x1080), instead of what I thought was the computer widescreen standard of 16x10. I will not be using the monitor for video or TV/Movies, so should I stay away from the 16x9 stuff?

Thanks for you help.

BTW: I used to be a big gamer(FPS - COD, COD2), but as you can see I haven't done any gaming in a couple of years. This will mostly be for internet and document use, point and shoot photo viewing editing (not serious SLR stuff), and maybe some light gaming. I am hoping to spend about $200, but could go a bit higher if needed.

Try to go to a local store and actually see the monitors working. Ttry to get them to loan you a unit to test at home/work because there is a world of difference between CRT and flatscreen and this decision may be with you for years to come, so take your time and get it right, even if it means paying more.
Trust someone who has right royally messed this up, I bought online what I thought was perfect, only to change it within weeks (at some expense).

Samsung and viewsonic are both good brands . They make cheaper models too of course but generally their quality is good .
Theres an excellent article about LCD's on anantech
http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=3584
comparing panel types and qualities . All lcd's are not the same technology but among the budget panels there is not a huge variation in picture quality .

For gaming resolution is important . LCD's look awful if theyre not run at their native resolution , and that could mean you have more [ or less pixels ] for the gfx card to "paint" More pixels = lower frame rates so for imilar performance stay close to what you had before

1600 x 1200 = 1920000 pixels

a 22 inch widescreen is typically

1680 x 1050 = 1760000 pixels and improved fps

but the latest models have the 1080p resolution

1920 x 1080 = 2073600 which is roughly 5% lower fps than a 1600 x 1200

Games are far better in widescreen IMO . Your peripheral vision is that much better ....

pb7280

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009

i love samsung, right now im on the syncmaster 2443bw, which is 24" and 1920x1200... but it has a 20000:1 contrast ratio which is very good, amazing colour, and i have never actually seen a better looking lcd screen! my 42" 1080p doesn;t look as nice, and my monitor was only 350$, very good for a 24"... the 22" of this monitor is probably 200$ too...

TRENDING THREADS