Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sata 3 and using the slowest device

Last response: in Storage
February 13, 2011 1:36:04 AM

I have a mobo with two Sata III ports and two Sata II ports. I'll be using a SSD Sata III and a HDD Sata III. I also have a Blu-Ray/DVD drive that will use Sata. If I connect this drive to one of my Sata II ports, do my SSD and HDD connected to Sata III only go as fast as my slowest device (in this case the Blu-Ray drive)?

More about : sata slowest device

a c 143 G Storage
February 13, 2011 2:57:56 AM

No... They will operate at their SATA III speeds, since they are on different controllers. Also if they were on the same controller (SATA II), they would operator at their SATA II speeds and not be limited by the Blu-ray drive.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
February 13, 2011 5:17:17 AM

Each individual SATA port negotiates the speed with the device attached to it. It doesn't matter if the ports are on the same controller, motherboard, or adapter card - every device will work at the fastest speed it's capable of as long as the port is also capable of that speed.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b G Storage
February 13, 2011 5:38:46 AM

I'm assuming your talking about the thing that USED to happen with IDE where if you put an optical drive on the same cable as a hard drive the drive would slow down to ATA33 just like the optical disk. I'd like to point out that this isn't true anymore for IDE drives as well seeing as they developed independent device timing shortly after this problem was discovered.

As already mentioned, this has never been the case with SATA as each device is on its own cable. You have nothing to worry about. And don't worry when you fail to see your drives not hit the limit of "SATA 3". Thats the max transfer speed of the interface, the drives themselves can't go that fast.

http://www.storagereview.com/guide/confTiming.html
February 13, 2011 4:10:17 PM

Best answer selected by YellowLab.
m
l
February 13, 2011 4:26:32 PM

Thank you tecmo34, sminlal, and 4745454b for clearing up this question.

Does this limitation occur with USB? Would all of your devices use the USB 2 transfer rates if you have connections using both USB 2 and USB 3?
m
l
a b G Storage
February 13, 2011 4:48:50 PM

Not to my knowledge. Obviously if you attach a USB2 device to a USB 1 hub/port it won't work as fast as it should. As another form of serial bus it only depends on the device and the controller.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
February 13, 2011 5:57:54 PM

USB ports work like SATA ports in that regard - each port negotiates a speed with the device attached to it independently of the other ports. The only case where this isn't true is when you plug devices into a USB hub which is itself connected to the host - in that configuration the maximum speed is the speed of the link between the hub and the host.
m
l
February 13, 2011 11:36:49 PM

sminlal said:
USB ports work like SATA ports in that regard - each port negotiates a speed with the device attached to it independently of the other ports. The only case where this isn't true is when you plug devices into a USB hub which is itself connected to the host - in that configuration the maximum speed is the speed of the link between the hub and the host.

Thanks for the info!
m
l
!