"NTLDR missing. Press any key to restart" Tried everything not working

Josoda

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
So the other day, I was on my computer and a bunch of errors came up. I panicked and restarted to find that my computer hang on "Updating new data to DMI data pool...update successful" (Or something along the lines of that). I flashed my BIOS to the latest and then got 'NTLDR missing.. Press any key to restart' instead.
I've done everything that all the sites are telling me to do; fixmbr, fixboot, bootcfg, copying ntdetect/ntdrl to no avail.

I'm really out of ideas; I can't repair the system either using the disc. It'll run for a few minutes then reboot with the same error.

Any help? Is the Hard disk gone? Can I save my files? :??:

me 1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
Have you copied it from your win cd?
It's weird because that should work! :??:

Seems your're familiar with the recover console! ;) I like that!
Ok, try this:

cd C:\
cd windows
cd system32
cd config
ren system system.old
ren software software.old
ren sam sam.old
ren default default.old
(Because we wanna have backups, just in case...)
cd C:\
cd windows
cd repair
copy c:\windows\repair\system C:\windows\system32\config
copy c:\windows\repair\software C:\windows\system32\config
copy c:\windows\repair\sam sam C:\windows\system32\config
copy c:\windows\repair\default default C:\windows\system32\config
Exit and restart...

(Ok, the point is, to replace the C:\windows\system32\config files with the ones from the Windows repair folder)
Some programs you may need to reinstall, but your files are still intact.

Let me know if it worked... :hello:

Just to add to me1's suggestions, before using the old copies from eth Repair folder, it's worth using DOS to look in the Config folder to see if there are any more recent .bak or .old files of those names and using those instead.

Obviously if you find .old files, the renamed backups change too so use sam.2, secure2 etc.

me 1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
Ok, I'm a little confused! :??:

Didn't you said you already tried to copy the file?! with what commands?!

Ok, let's see:
Plan A To copy from your CD :
Put cd in, press R , press 1,enter password or leave it blank, then type:

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\
(and press enter)
If it will ask U to replace then press Y

If U have any troubles let me know . If U don't find the files on the cd they may be archived. Then you'll need an expand command. But I don't remember them as beeing archived, so it should work...

Plan B (what saga lout said) :
copy C:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386\ntldr c:\
copy C:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386\ntdetect.com c:\
(and press enter)

Plan C (I dunno for sure if there are also saved in here, but it's worth a shot)
copy C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\ntldr c:\
copy C:\windows\system32\dllchache\ntdetect.com c:\
(and press enter)

I can't think of anything else...
If anyone knows another backup location of these files in Windows, I'm curious too, guys! :hello:

The copy in Service Pack Files>i386 is the only spare I've ever seen. An alternative to using the XP CD is a Linux LiveCD which will give a GUI access to the file structure and enable a straightforward copy and paste without having to expand anything from the Windows CD. Some Linux systems - Puppy and Damn Small Linux - can be run from a flash drive.

A cautionary tale for anyone reading - flashing the BIOS can damage your system.

Josoda

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
Yep, that's what I typed.

I'll try Plan B and C later when I have access to the computer.
Thanks for all the help though, I don't really know all that much about computer so it really does help. :)

I'm not too familiar with Puppy but you need to start it as a LiveCD then find a File Manager (possibly Dolphin) and access the hard disk. Navigating to the folder with the spare copy is as easy as in Windows so you simply use copy and paste from the Edit menu into the root of C:. Linux has no respect for files Windows chooses to hide so you wll be able to see everything.