Sign in with
Your question

Loading OS on blank system

Last response: in Systems
June 7, 2009 5:14:37 AM

Ok, thanks to this forum, the mobo manual and some luck the new system boots.

I've read and adhered to the excellent post by shortstuff_mt http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...[url/]

This is the first ground up build I have ever done. So I can boot into BIOS. Now what?

In the old days I would make a boot floppy with DOS, Oak Technologies generic driver for CD-ROM and a few other things. Well, the new system does not have a floppy. I've got a SATA Samsung DVD/CD, a blank unformatted 640 gig WD HDD and system builder CD-ROM with XP - SP3. I would need some kind of disk operating system to boot off the CD - right?

So I'm wondering how I boot strap a virgin system into an OS.

Thanks!" target="_blank">http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...[url/]

This is the first ground up build I have ever done. So I can boot into BIOS. Now what?

In the old days I would make a boot floppy with DOS, Oak Technologies generic driver for CD-ROM and a few other things. Well, the new system does not have a floppy. I've got a SATA Samsung DVD/CD, a blank unformatted 640 gig WD HDD and system builder CD-ROM with XP - SP3. I would need some kind of disk operating system to boot off the CD - right?

So I'm wondering how I boot strap a virgin system into an OS.

Thanks!

More about : loading blank system

June 7, 2009 5:17:17 AM

No, you jsut insert the disk and boot straight off it. Install it on your HDD on your good to go. This is how I installed it when I had the same scenario.
June 7, 2009 5:40:31 AM

Doh! I feel rather foolish. I have a very old system and have been away from new hardware for a long time. One didn't used to be able to do that. Thanks so much! I'll get to it then...

Cheers!
Related resources
June 7, 2009 5:52:13 AM

good luck with it vanvogt!
June 7, 2009 7:01:23 AM

^ +1
Just boot off your optical drive w/ OS disc in and it will start the format/install process.
June 7, 2009 3:44:09 PM

Normal boot order for systems these days is CD/DVD first, HDD second.
Make sure in the BIOS to set the order correctly, when you boot up it will hang looking for an OS, simply pop in your OS DVD/CD, hit a key, and away you go.
June 7, 2009 11:09:39 PM

Once I have windows installed, I put the HD back as the first boot device. It reduces the boot time.
!